22 coaches online • Server time: 09:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Erik_Grogswiller

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Some coaches in my area are looking to the local Battle Bunker (Philly) as a site to host our league games. Additionally, in an effort to expand the league, what we would also like to do there is host a sort of "Training Camp" for new or interested coaches. To give them a chance to learn the game, play against some experienced coaches, etc... What I'm wondering is how to teach the game to a group. I can sit down with one person and play a game against them (or watch over two new coaches) explaining many of the rules as we go, but how would you do that for a larger group and keep interest? Any advice?

"Ho! stand to your flagons steady!
'Tis all we have left to prize.
A drink to the dead already,--
Hurrah for the next that dies."
- ancient Dwarf toast
Mimashi

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... on FUMBLL maybe you should prepare some "lesson games" pre-arranged and pre-made to show novices how the game is done.

Very Happy
Erik_Grogswiller

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

not a bad idea, but we're trying to stay "real world" (such as it is) for the time being...

- ancient Dwarf toast
Mimashi

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Wellllll.... i've teached the game in my golden days. There is a very big difference from teaching to those that have yet to learn the rules and those that have to try and see how actually play effectively.

What kind of pupils are we talking here?
Erik_Grogswiller

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

generally experienced gamers in reference to GW games, most already own teams or the box set and have just been letting them collect dust. The rest are people that have never seen the game played but are interested in it. They may be rookies in the game, but none are rookie gamers.

- ancient Dwarf toast
Mimashi

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... the starting match proposed in the rules (Orcs vs humans) is VERY effective...
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm a teacher by nature. The key is to "work backwards" IMNSHO. Big picture to small.
1) The way to win the game is to get more TDs
2) There are 16 turns in the game, dvided into two halves.
3) On your turn, you can Move and block with as many players as you want, we'll discuss specialized moves after we've explained how that works. Every player has a Movement stat which......

Basically, if you start out explaining all the stats and skills without context for them, the noobs will be frustrated and not remember. It's a lot easier to explain that the Dodge skill let's you RR dodges, after you've explained dodges, which are easier to explain if you explain movement limitations and TZ, and so forth.

That's my thought. Don't start at the beginning. Kick-off table results (especially weather) will make NO sense.