74 coaches online • Server time: 20:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of this group idea?
Love It! I'm in as soon as you make it!
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Sounds like fun for the community, but not for me
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
It might be ok if you.... (Explain below)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Worse than MrMojo's spam!
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
I swore I would castrate myself with a garlic press before playing against Macavity
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

So, as weird as it might seem, I was thinking about starting a group on Fumbbl. It would be terribly boring, but I'm wondering if anyone might be interested.

It would go like this. I create a new Unranked team. Someone else does and they challenge me. Whoever wins is in 1st place, whoever loses is in 2nd place. Then someone else would make a team, they would challenge the 2nd place guy. If they won, they would go on and challenge first place. I (and maybe a European staff person) would keep track of rankings.

Why I think this would be fun: No avoiding playing certain races, when you make a run, you make a run until you are stopped.
Bragging rights attached to the top places! Always fun! Since the top team might only get there after a tough struggle and no outside the group games are allowed, there should be a reasonably regular turn-over of the top team. It would also be neat to watch a team fall due to Star Player death, and crawl its way back to the top.

Why you might hate it: SLOW!!!! Depending on numbers, you may often find yourself held up trying to arrange a certain game, or impatient for someone to get to you when you are at or near the top. Not for the type of people who like to retire teams the moment something goes wrong. The fun will be attached to the back-and-forth.

Other things: Obviously, this will require some micro-managing, but I plan on reducing that with the simple lack of points. You will need to PM me a lot, and I'll need to fiddle with the group often. I think it could be a lot of fun, but I hope you'll be patient, and I may restrict how many new people can join at a time. I'm (very loosely) modelling this after boxing. You also would not be allowed to play the same opponent twice in a row.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to double-post, but. *Bump*. (I need SOME kinda response) Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds a bit like a Ladder ... maybe try the Ladder division Razz
Danger-Dan

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankly, I think it's a fabulous idea. Now, on the other hand I'm completely baffled as to how groups and tourneys work in actual fact, and for that reason have played in not a single one - but that is beside the point.

Is your thinking that it should only be possible to challenge the next team in line - ie. #8 challenging #7, or could you possibly challenge any team within 2-3 ranks, or maybe up to a certain teamrating in relation to your own? Naturally, only the first option forces you to play whatever team is next in rank - but the other two would make for faster play (maybe).
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

My thinking is that this is boxing, not chess. So not Ladder, you could only challenge the team above you. Nothing resembling cherry-picking would be allowed. It's simply a who beat who, not a "How can I manipulate the formula of this system to make myself look as good as possible".

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

One word, mac,

LADDER Division.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

A whole bunch od words, Mojo, my last post. I have looked at ladder, but it does not appeal to me in the same way.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
Sounds a bit like a Ladder ... maybe try the Ladder division Razz
... and Ladder is a little better idea as there are more than one path to the top. Wink

Last edited by macike on %b %02, %2005 - %18:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Macike! THANK YOU! See how he looked at it and decided he liked Ladder better? Not just assumed that he understood without reading Wink

What a man! Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea.
But would find it hard to implement.
Lets say your #3 and you want to play upwards and that dude isnt coming on you are then forced to play #4 who comes on and challenges you.

You win. Next day same procedure #2 not coming online #4 challanges you again etc

You loose drop to #4. the new #3 has the same probs challenging #2 you challange him once again etc.

I would think with only one path you would be likely to play the same players on and on (same pos same timezone same whatever) and you only have two guys to challange

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that would be why the rule about no repeats is in place. I was hoping that the occasional disaster would keep things reasonably fresh. Cn you think of anything else that might help? I don't think TZ is an issue to much. MAybe some rule about declaring a "Run for the Top", and not stopping until you are stopped?

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

if you can jump up in rank, then hihger ranked teams shouldn't be allowed to refuse challenges or Chaos and Khemri would have a little problem, and if you have to accept challenges from 3 different teams, how do you choose?, and what happens if you loose to a 3 ranks lower team, loose 3 ranks or 1, and...

Good idea Master, shame I have not enought spare time to play challenges (pridefull and pleased with my master involvement in the site isues, I cannot stop mishelf praising his initiatives, crazy or not)
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't worry, I won't force you to join, my child. Thanks for the vote of confidence and non-sensical questions Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

well if you would have a system like a pyramid

etc there should be enough matchups if you get to around at least 10 teams.
- Challenge only 1 Level upwards
- challenge refusal leads to exchange in level.
- One week to play challenge (this is indeed like ladder then).
- First challenge reaching group admin wins.

every X weeks (number of pyramid levels) a winner is pronounced (can have more games then number of weeks if playing fast)

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm.... Tel, I see what you're saying, but I'm kind of enamored of the 1 straight line concept. It just seems like fun to have this small group of teams/coaches, tryign to bump each other off all the time.