46 coaches online • Server time: 18:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2005 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a sticky for keeping track of known Mac issues with JavaBB, and work-arounds for those issues.

With the intent of keeping Mac-related things in one place, other Mac problems connected with fumbbl may be listed here too.

Anything added in replies below will be integrated into this post, and the contributors credited. Very Happy

Also, if experienced, Mac-using fumbbl coaches want to post something here, then Mac-using newbies will be able to know who we are, and contact us (or post here!) rather than starting a new thread which may confuse non-Mac users, and in which they may attract little sympathy from those unbelievers. Wink

Of course, if this is stickied, new Mac-using coaches who do post a query can easily be re-directed here for the answers to all their questions: even the ones they haven't asked yet!

--

(The lists below are drawn from the JavaBB ReadMe, my own experience, and a forum search. If I've overlooked anything, please post a reply to let me know. Please also let me know if any of the links become broken, or information inaccurate.)

<b>Known Mac issues in JavaBB:</b>

1. Download and installation instructions for Mac JavaBB can be found via this link. Address your thanks to BadMrMojo!

2. Right-clicking to bring up the load/sync/concede menu does not work on the Mac. Instead, type 'A' (shift+a - case matters!) or '?' to bring up the right-click menu.

However, if you currently have the chat box selected (often the case) then the 'A' or '?' you type will go into the chat and not be recognised as a shortcut. De-selecting the chat box is not always easy: my work-around is to select a player, and then an action for the player. This will de-select the chat box and you can then type 'A' or '?' as above. (This can still mean that there is a confusing period during your opponent's turn when you cannot sync.) If anyone has a more straightforward work-around than this, please post it here!

One alternate work-around: click in the area where the text appears (not where you type it) to de-select the chat box. However, it seems that this also only works during your own team turn: not during the opponent's or during set-up.

Another way to switch between boxes: press the 'Tab' key.

3. Other Mac-specific short-cut keys also exist: these are listed in full at the end of section 4. of the JavaBB README.TXT.

4. The JavaBB application (.jar or .app) needs to be in the main BBowl folder. If you want an easily-accessible icon on the desktop, make an alias and leave the original file where it is (or add it to the dock).

5. Window size: the application window can be too large for many screen resolutions. If you can go up above 1024x768, you should be okay. If not, the only real problem this actually causes is that you probably won't be able to see the box where you type into the chat (you can't move the window, because OSX won't allow you to move the title bar off the top of the screen, nor can you change the size of the window in the usual way).

Work-arounds include: changing your options to the small pitch version; just type blind into the chat box (you should still be able to select it, though you can't see it - and typing blind occasionally produces results which amuse the opponent!).

Silly work-arounds include: never say anything to your opponent Razz; get a real computer (thx for that, Grumbledook!).

Another side effect of this is that you can't hide the Luck meter from yourself. *sigh* Maybe I should just put a sticker onto my screen ...

<b>Known Mac issues on the Fumbbl web site:</b>

1. Some users (okay, it was me!) have reported a problem uploading images to the site when using Safari. On the other hand, it seems to work fine for others. If you encounter this problem, the current work-around is just to use IE or Firefox instead. Wink

<b>Available Mac IRC clients:</b>

1. I use X-Chat Aqua, which has always worked without any problems for me (except for one mysterious crash the first time it started up - nothing since!). Please post other recommendations below!

2. Here is a (short) list of some other (older) Mac irc clients.

<b>Issues for pre-OSX users:</b>

Well, unfortunately, by all reports JavaBB simply won't run under OS 9 (never mind anything more senior than that). There just isn't a JRE made for it that's sufficiently up to date.

BadMrMojo's word (which is as authoritative as you're going to get) on the subject:

BadMrMojo wrote:
There is simply no way to get JBB working on OS 9. I tried... oh, how I tried... back when people were actively developing in "classic" mac OS before I had an X-capable machine at home. No one ever wrote (and likely never will) the appropriate version of java (the Java Runtime Environment) for OS 9.

(continues here)

<b>Getting replays to work:</b>

Basically, as long as you have the latest JRE (Java Runtime Environment) for OS X, it should just work when you click the replay link. You can search for the latest JRE for your specific OS X version here.

Thanks to:
- BadMrMojo (most of the above has been compiled from his replies to individual queries by puzzled Mac users over the last couple of years)
- LordRummickIV

Last edited by pac on Apr 15, 2008 - 21:07; edited 4 times in total
Malthor

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2006 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

An easy work around to your Mac OS problems.

Play on a PC with Windows instead Smile

still disliked all round!
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2006 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you, Malthor ... although that one was already mentioned in the sticky. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I also got a Problem: The pictures of moved players are so transparent, they are nearly invisible. That causes me to do a lot of mistakes due to not seeing them. Is it possible to make them appear more solid? I post this in the mac thread, because on my PC they appear fine...

Lemmy
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed that some players when faded can be harder to see than others, particularly some DEs when over the skull in the middle of the pitch. Never quite found them becoming invisible though ...

Edit: As for an actual suggestion (albeit a belated one), you could try downloading a different set of player icons. Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2006 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems to me that the need for having a player selected before bringing up the menu means that it is impossible to concede a game, since you must concede before you start your turn, but you can't bring up the menu before you have clicked a player, which means your turn has started. I realize a workaround is to just never concede (duh) but sometimes real life intervenes in your playing and it is a real mess to not have the option of conceding in that situation... Does anyone now of a better solution ?
pac

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2006 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

kjartan wrote:
It seems to me that the need for having a player selected before bringing up the menu means that it is impossible to concede a game, since you must concede before you start your turn, but you can't bring up the menu before you have clicked a player, which means your turn has started.

I think it should work. All you need to do is select a player - you don't have to actually use (ie, start an action with) it - so it shouldn't stop you from conceding.

In any case, that's just one way of de-selecting the chat box. You should just be able to click in the chat/game events output window to do so instead.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, how do I use "Alt-N" or "Alt-I" to display the numbers or icons permanently?

Attempting either brings up an input window.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

keybounce wrote:
Alright, how do I use "Alt-N" or "Alt-I" to display the numbers or icons permanently?

Attempting either brings up an input window.

The Java client's ReadMe has a separate list of Mac-only shortcut keys. The first set listed (including alt-N and alt-I) are Windows-only and <i>will not work</i> on the Mac. In addition, Mac shortcuts do not exist (or at least are not listed) for all the features available - including the ones you mention. Also, shortcuts are the only way of getting at some features, as they don't appear on the 'right-click' (which you can't actually get at with right-click) menu.

So the short version: you can't. Sad (Unless SkiJunkie did in fact add Mac shortcut keys for these features, but didn't tell anyone what they were …)

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumble grumble grumble.

Wasn't the whole point of Swing to eliminate the "Write once, test everywhere" problem of Awt?

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

keybounce wrote:
Wasn't the whole point of Swing to eliminate the "Write once, test everywhere" problem of Awt?

And if I had any idea what that question meant, I'd happily answer! Very Happy

If your aim is to distinguish your players from one another more clearly, it is possible to give them individual images and even (I think, with a little more effort) individual icons. There should be something in the 'Customization' forum here about that.
keybounce

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh. The AWT interface for java relied on the OS for everything -- all boxes, text lists, buttons, etc, were 100% native.

Java gave no promises of any kind to the applications.

It turned out that different OS's had different behaviors and object sizes. Programs would not work properly on different OS's.

Version two of the Java GUI was Swing. This basically implemented everything inside the window in java. The OS provides button info, and windows; all the buttons/checkboxes/lists/etc are in Java. Java is able to give you 100% consistency, at the cost of all native behavior.

Someone will come up with a version three eventually. If you've read Mythical Man Month, you know the problem with the second version of something.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Malthor wrote:
An easy work around to your Mac OS problems.

Play on a PC with Windows instead Smile

Since I live in the same city, I will find Malthors address and bash him over the head with my intel duo, until he loves it! Twisted Evil

Only problem is that it weight next to nothing Razz

HERE KITTY, HERE MALTHOR!

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The mac problem I have is Macavity.

Jeffro
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2006 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
The mac problem I have is Macavity.

Tell me about it: when I was compiling this list I was forum-searching - naturally - for 'Mac'. Imagine how many Macavity-related threads I had to sort through …
 Jump to: