24 coaches online • Server time: 01:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 18:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The FUMBBL Cup is starting. Apply for group membership to join before we hit the target of 32 teams.

This thread is for any discussion regarding the cup. Favourites? Spectacular games?

To get us started.. Does anyone have an idea for a prize?

-- Christer

Last edited by Christer on %b %02, %2004 - %20:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Besides bragging rights (having the bot announce you as Da Champ or something or have Grum refer to the winner as 'Sir' in all chat conversation) how about extra cash for the team or something?

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer - Great Idea but .... only the true heavyweights have a chance to win this cup. Any chance of implementing weight divisions (like boxing) and having multiple FUMBBL cups available to the champions of those divisions. For example - Flyweight Div = TR 100-125 ; Featherweight = TR 126-150 ; Cruiser weight = TR 151-175 ; Welterweight = TR 176-200 ; Light Heavyweight = TR 201-226 ; Heavyweight = TR (any).

This way EVERY team on FUMBBL has a chance to win A FUMBBL Cup at their division if they choose to participate without the risk of being pummeled by Anarchist Terror Beasts.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

i may object: the dark elf team i´m playing with has recently lost to Barash´s dwarfs who where down by 70 in team rating and 40-50 in team strength. so everybody has a chance to even take out the heavyweights Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
This way EVERY team on FUMBBL has a chance to win A FUMBBL Cup at their division if they choose to participate without the risk of being pummeled by Anarchist Terror Beasts.

Thing is, even with the majority of things automated it still takes a certain amount of time to administrate the whole thing. The idea of everyone having a fair chance at the cup is nice and all, but does every football team in the world have a chance at winning the Super Bowl, or every Soccer team the Wolrd Cup? No, it's a competition of the best against the best. I like the fact that it gives people something to strive for. If you stick with a team, it's really not that hard to have a high TR team.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with your points Klipp, it was just an idea to allow more participation within the FUMMBL members. Hopefully there are some energetic players out there who may start their own tourneys with TR parameters.

I am a relative Newbie and haven't had time yet to build a 200 pt team. Who is the best person to contact (experience wise) to get the details on setting up a tourney?

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 22:14
FUMBBL Staff

32 teams are now admitted to the cup.

Due to the speed of the signups, I will allow in more _if_ there are 32 more coaches who want to play.

So, if you want a chance to participate apply for membership. If there are 32 teams applying at the end of this week, I will let them in as well, adding a round.

Either way, the cup will start on next monday (I will most likely generate the schedule on sunday), so start preparing your teams.

-- Christer
Barash

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner wrote:
i may object: the dark elf team i´m playing with has recently lost to Barash´s dwarfs who where down by 70 in team rating and 40-50 in team strength. so everybody has a chance to even take out the heavyweights Smile

That will teach you underestimating the small and silly dwarfs teams Razz
I Hope we meet again Sinner. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2003 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer we can play up to the tourny, but not during it right?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2003 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:
Christer we can play up to the tourny, but not during it right?

Exactly. Once the tournament has started, you will only be able to play scheduled games with your team until the tourney is over or your team has been knocked out.
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2003 - 01:24
FUMBBL Staff

7 teams on the wait list so far.

I might be able to modify the code to allow any number of participants, in essence creating a qualifier round for some of you.

It would mean potentially delaying the "first match" for some of you but on the other hand you'd be playing one game less than the others.

Is this something you would like, or should I stick with the original plan of only allowing in more teams if they create a "proper" tourney?
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2003 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

you could make the qualifiers for the lowest tr teams before the better seeded teams make their way into the later rounds, thats how the FA cup works
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2003 - 04:23
FUMBBL Staff

19 teams on the wait list, 13 slots left.
Barash

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2003 - 07:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm think it's great idea to include a "wildcard" / "Qualifier" round and give the better teams a 1st round bye.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2003 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, there are some rules of how to setup a not fully setable 32/64/128 team KO system. Wink I might try to search for it, if you need it.