24 coaches online • Server time: 01:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

darkwolf only 3 teams went through on a coin toss, the others were cause the other coach was a no show at the time

the rules were there when teams signed up
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr-Klipp wrote:
Zy-Nox wrote:
Christer On a note
from now on i believe we sjould roll for teams players leaving just like as if they conceeded(if they forfiet)

I disagree. It's completly possible that 2 coaches will simply be unable to play each other due to time zone and schedule conflicts. When you are doing something like this on an international level, you just have to give people a bit more leeway.

My point then, why the hell they entered, I entered with full intention as usual to play no matter the TZ, if i have to play at 5am in the morning i still would make time, a week is long enough, fail to play and your team will pay imo.

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

That's just not reasonable for most people. With all the time zone represented, you would have to be able commit to playing at any hour of the day to enter, and most people just can't do that.

The Finishing Touch
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 06:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Zy. I am on the west coast of Canada, the worst time zone I believe. I have already played two matches in the Cup. Your telling me some coaches cannot make 1, or even show up when Christer is flipping a coin to advance? When you sign up, you sign up to PLAY, not get a free ride to the next round. Punishes us coaches that play matches and suffer injuries.

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, punish us coaches who get SPPs and cash! =)

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

No matter how great something is, there will always be complainers. I would hate to see Christer decide not to do this again on account of some people complaining about raw deals. Evo very clearly makes the point that coaches who play their games can get advantages in the tourney. Its not every coach who wins and gets beat up doing so. I played a good Chaos Dwarf team and didn't suffer at all! We all read and agreed to the rules when we signed up, (or should have). Fact is, there is a rule to handle no shows and complaining about it is as bad as saying
Quote:

My point then, why the hell they entered, I entered with full intention as usual to play no matter the TZ, if i have to play at 5am in the morning i still would make time, a week is long enough, fail to play and your team will pay imo.
Zhluhur

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I had to play at 1am in the morning with only 5 hours left to sleep because I had to work the next day and Iolo had to get up at 9am in the morning, but we did it, because we want to play in this tourney and we read the rules and we signed up!

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, lets put it like this. We have to account for the problem people as well when setting this sort of thing up. I'll give you a scenario. Your opponent for this next match is a hard core win at all costs player. We have or have had players exactly like this, so this isn't a hypothetical. This guy looks at your team, you being his next opponent and sees that there is no way he is going to beat you. Or that you have a team which will tear his to shreds. Either way, he looks at your team and decides he would do better with a 50% chance at a coin toss than to actually face your team. So, he is just "unavailable" no matter what time you want to play him. Deadline comes up, but you can't be there, for example it's in the middle of your workday and you aren't lucky enough to work someplace you can play blood bowl from. Now, not only does this person cost you the win, but your teams suffers from a conceit as well? I think the system works fine as it is. We don't know who really isn't trying to make the game and who just couldn't possibly make something come together due to real life situations. Because of this, I am strongly against anything worse than a simple loss of the match in the tourney.

The Finishing Touch
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2003 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not complaining. The tounrament is great, the coaches are great, the teams are great. At my TR, cash is scarce for wins., unless the team I am playing has very high fan factor.
First game versus Klipp's goblins- NO cash and 2 dead zombies with block. How did I benefit from playing that game in lieu of just advancing by showing up in MIRC to be declared the winner.
Second game- Again, LITTLE cash and 2 skill rolls and no injuries. So it kinda evenened out.
Some coaches signed up and put little effort in finding their opponents for the first round. 8 games NOT played in the first round is a it much.
I like this tounry and was pumped up to be in it, I wish some other coaches were as well.

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2003 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I think part of the problem there had to do with things being new. I'm sure a lot of people signed up without really thinking about the fact that they could well be paired up with someone on the opposite side of the globe, and not everyone has a schedule flexible enough to accomidate that.

The Finishing Touch
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2003 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

how about this then
in the 15 minute catch up time, if one of the coaches is here they get to play a coach on the waiting list. Afterall this is what a waiting list is for?

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I like that idea. No free passes just like in UFC Tourny's.

I see that VERY LITTLE games are being played this week again. Is noone serious about this tournament??

This is how I would advance if I wanted to exploit the system. Avoid my opponent I do not want to play and then show up Sunday evening hoping my opponent does not either, or at least take my 50-50 chance on the toss.

Coaches that sign up for tournaments and do not play their game, unless their excuse is valid, sould be noted and not allowed to enter further FUMBBL cup matches. Time zone differences are no excuse, like I have said, I live in Western Canada and have played as far in this tournament as possible.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I was online yesterday and tried to contact mistmatz via mIRC but he wouldn't respond. Sad
I don't suppose he didn't respond deliberately though, since our match-up is clearly in his favour! Cool
veron

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:
I see that VERY LITTLE games are being played this week again. Is noone serious about this tournament??

\o_
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:
Coaches that sign up for tournaments and do not play their game, unless their excuse is valid

See, that's the part you seem to be missing. We have no way of knowing if an excuse is valid. Maybe someone really can't play that week because there brother is getting married, maybe they just don't want to play the person. That is why I am against any sort of penalties for not making the game, we have no way of identifying real mitigating circumstances versus silly excuses.
 Jump to: