24 coaches online • Server time: 01:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should I do???
Punch the guy until one of us bleeds
26%
 26%  [ 26 ]
Crush his minis
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
Hurt the league Commishiner
18%
 18%  [ 18 ]
sulk knowing that I am now nolonger league champ
34%
 34%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 98

Prymja

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 03:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been playing humans for about 50 games in a continuing league. We play for 8 weeks, then have a Play off of the top 8 teams, there is 24 teams in the league, only 12 coachs. My humans have been league champs for 6 seasons now. went 7 and 1 into their first league playoffs, and won straight out from there. Once playoffs are over, we have a free agency period I guess you could call it, you are required to bring your team down to TR 125, after every one does this, we then get 1/8 th of the money of everything it cost to get down to there.

So lets say you where at 130 for TR at the end of the season, you have a Lineman that costs 80,000 GP, when you let him go, you earn 10,000 GP back to rebuild a small amount. (please understand that most teams who made it to the playoffs are around TR 200, and they end up lossing almost everything to get back down there.) So it in a way allows new teams to actually have a chance at making the playoffs their first season, not a realistic one, but a possibile.

Now I have gone threw that just to show how difficult it really is in my league to make 50 wins in a row. But as the season dwindles down to its final 2 weeks, I suffer my first loss, and one that almost promises to keep me out of the playoffs. The reason I have next to no hope on making it to the playoffs is that as of right now, the top 8 teams will need a 7-1 record, ok I could get that, but the other 3 teams with 7-1 one will be the team that beat me, and the other 2 I have yet to play, but they have a better overall score ratio to mine vs opponents we each have played, and 5 teams are almost gaurunteed a 8-0 season.

So how did I manage to loss you ask, well, me and my opponent agreed last friday that we would meet tonight to play our game. We agreed on a time of 6:30 to get the game started. we both arived at the same time, yet he was no where near ready to play, he needed to finish selecting skills for a few players, had to find where his dice where, lots of weird stalling stuff, but I was ok with it at the time, we started the game at 6:55.
At 8:30 we where still in the first half, he had played slow, 4 to 5 minutes a turn average, one turn taking 20 minutes, which is not against the rules in our league, running to the restroom every other turn. At 8:55, we finally ended his turn 8 of the first half. Score 2-1 for him, this is where it gets bad. He informs me he has to leave, so I ask when he can get back in to play, as I have the rest of the week off. He informed me that the game was official by one of our obscure rules. The rule is that if a game has gone longer then 2 hours past the starting time, then any player can call for it to be official, the game ends where it is, and no replay or finish is needed.

This rule was placed about 5 seasons ago, because a few games where being played into like 3 overtimes to get rid of a tie, and most gamers where sick and tired of it, now in the time since the rule was added, there has been only one use of it, and it was a lossing player who did not want to conceed, but did not want to loss anymore guys.

I feel that it was a blatant abuse of the rule, yet the league comish said it was viable and allowed, not even a warning to the player who did this.

I am sorry for the long post but I felt that people should here most of the stuff behind the anger, and not just a few sentinces. So what are your toughts on this issue, I mean what would you do, and punching the idiot in the head was something I already thought of, I also thought of crushing his mini's but I decided to let you guys decide
sehou

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Make sure everyone in the league knows how your Commish handled this matter, don't difform the situation, and if you're playing with 10 other intelligent buddies beside smartass, hope they'll pressure for him to give you a rematch. As we learn in law school, sometimes litteral interpretation of a rule is not what was intended by the legislator, but rather the intention behind the law implemented and its finality. Here, it's allowing a smartass to reach his a goal indirectly where he can't do it directly, ie. play a short game to his advantage. Make your case and if this anomaly stands, i'd consider sticking to FUMBBL only, where smartasses aren't tolerated.
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 04:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Prymja wrote:
... At 8:30 we where still in the first half, he had played slow, 4 to 5 minutes a turn average, one turn taking 20 minutes, which is not against the rules in our league, ... He informed me that the game was official by one of our obscure rules. The rule is that if a game has gone longer then 2 hours past the starting time, then any player can call for it to be official, the game ends where it is, and no replay or finish is needed.

Point out to your commissioner that - by the letter of these two rules (no turn time limit applies; match can be 'halted' as is after two hours of play-time) - all you would have to do to win any match is:

- score first (easy with many teams as long as you receive: and many bashers will choose to kick to finesse teams)
- on your first defensive turn, delay - saying that you are 'thinking' - for two hours
- then do as your opponent did and leave

If he can't take the hint: actually do this in your next match against the guy - the best way to get a rule fixed is to abuse it in the most flagrant way possible.

This combination of house rules is completely broken.

Your opponent is clever to have spotted this loop-hole - but it's extremely under-handed to have exploited it. It's beyond belief that (so long as you have explained the situation clearly and calmly) your Commissioner let him get away with it - are they related?

Hmm ... maybe this was really just a practical joke your fellow coaches were all in on. Very Happy In some ways, I know that I'd be looking for any possible way to burst the bubble of a team/coach on a 50 game unbeaten run! Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Mistake #1: Playing in a league with retarded rules. If your league has problems with overtime, get rid of it. not make it so either coach can end the game at any time past 2h.
Mistake #2: Not SI #31-33ing him for being such a weak &$&*% who needs to win by rule exploitation rather than skill. If he had an drop of sportsmanship in him he'd come back to finish the game.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 04:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Rules can be bent and abused, as in this case. Sad but true. Personaly I'd be pissed especialy since this match nearly eliminates you (from what you said,) from the playoffs. I've played in some matches were the opponent takes forever and it's probably worse than being beat 5-0. IMO it shows a lack of sportsmanship and consideration that you are playing a REAL live opponent. Not that I think he's a bad person or anything, but just consider for a moment the possibility the comissioner person allowed this 'abuse' of the rule because he doesn't want you to keep winning the league championship. It's probably nothing personal but the commish, along with the other coaches, probably will let the 'abuse' go since they are tired of being dominated (congrats on that by the way.) A match, let alone a half, should never go more than 2 hours. So, either you can leave this league and try to find a stricter one about playing time (not suggested as leagues this big are hard to come by,) or go with it (with hatred in your heart of course,) and go for another shot next season. When you play this person again, make sure you do everything allowed by your moral standards to make their life hell for what happened here. (Personally I hate fouling but im not against beating the tar out of someone when they're down if they've agrovated me.)
Sorry for the rambling.

Don't drop the soap.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

How the hell did you manage 50 wins in a row, while on fumbbl you fail to have positive stats with a single team?
Prymja

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
How the hell did you manage 50 wins in a row, while on fumbbl you fail to have positive stats with a single team?

For some reason I play a much better game in TT then I do on FUMBBL. Probably the fact that to me, FUMBBL is a comp game, which allows me to get distracted very easy and not think my move threw, but in TT, nothing comes between me and my game, I spend the entire game fixatted to the board. When I get on FUMBBL, I normally have 2 or 3 other applications running, and I am normally in a chat program also. I am also not saying that I am unbeatable, my other teams for TT have a much more ballanced record, infact my dwarf team that I play for fun has a lossing record (21-1-24, W-T-L).

pac wrote:
Your opponent is clever to have spotted this loop-hole - but it's extremely under-handed to have exploited it. It's beyond belief that (so long as you have explained the situation clearly and calmly) your Commissioner let him get away with it - are they related?

No they are not related, but, the commissioner is the coach I beat in the last 3 playoffs to make it to the finals. Well my opponent is not clever, because the week before this happened when the league got together, 6 other people where discussing the loop hole and what they would do if it happened to them, had gone to the commissioner, asked that it be reworded, which he would not do in the middle of the season, but prommissed it would be fixed at the end. My opponent was standing next to the commissioner while this discussion was going on.

As I have slept on the matter, I am less worried about it, I believe that this will raise a big problem on Friday when the league gets together to see who they face for week 8, and I do beleive the commissioner will over turn his original ruling for fear of half the league walking out. I plan on staying and continuing, attempting to rebuild and redominate.

Well, enjoy and have fun, and may your dice roll right, and may your blocks all kill.
veron

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Generally it's a good idea not to do radical (if any) changes to a started league but in a case like this it would be VERY bad idea not to change them mid-season.
qk

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Incredible... it's a game... it's fun... but then... moronic behaviour... rules abuse...

Crushing his minis sounds proportionate to me.
Pirrekurr

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Plese inform us how it went after the league meeting at Friday. I think I speak of most of the coaches here on FUMBBL when I say that we want to see this sorry excuse of a coach punished. Preferably flogged for mocking our beloved game in this way, but capital punishment on his team sounds right too...

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I like your opponent. That boy got talent! I think he will rule the world someday or starring as the Crimeboss in the last Bond movie. Gonna be the last cause your Opp will shoot him straight away, not even telling Bond about his plan for Wolrd Domination.
magan174

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way. Didn't White Dwarf use to have a prize for that sort of behaviour?

The Sneaky Git Award For Hobgoblin Behaviour
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the biggest beef you ought to bring up to your commish is the fact your opponent wasn't ready to play in the first place. He should have had all his equipment and his team roster ready to play before ever coming to the table.
incantrix

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't believe anyone would be desperate enough to use those tactics but your commish is clearly an idiot for not even warning him about it. If you have a 2 hour time limit you obviously need a clear rule on how long you have for a turn. I'd find a better league if I were you.
veron

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

incantrix wrote:
I'd find a better league if I were you.

In my experience it's pretty safe to say that the league is as good as the guy running it. With this in mind, you might also want to raise the question if someone else (perhaps yourself?) would be interested in running the league. If there are several candidates, maybe put up a vote for the position, etc.
 Jump to: