71 coaches online • Server time: 21:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should I do???
Punch the guy until one of us bleeds
26%
 26%  [ 26 ]
Crush his minis
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
Hurt the league Commishiner
18%
 18%  [ 18 ]
sulk knowing that I am now nolonger league champ
34%
 34%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 98

tassel

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

qk wrote:
Incredible... it's a game... it's fun... but then... moronic behaviour... rules abuse...

Crushing his minis sounds proportionate to me.

Welcome to Games Workshop Tabletop World. Sounds like this rule abuser here is a regular FaBa/40k player. Every other coach is like that there. Wink
Smess

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Your poll seems to miss the following option:

'Congratulate him with his extensive knowledge of the rules of your league, and his very creative use of them.' (especialy the many toilet breaks to prolong the game are genious moves)
Ungamarax

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hm, one of poor bastards that exploits the rules. Oh well.

Your "commish" is a joke, find another league - and get the rest of players with you. Of course without this lamer, he can play in his basement Rolling Eyes

And btw, i love rules-lawyers trying to win wia loophole in a game.
Here's THE ultimate loophole:
-You need to have minis to play tabletop right? Where in the rules does it state that destroying opponents minis is forbidden?
Funny how this usually gets them to play in the spirit of the rules, not blindly following the letter...

Last edited by Ungamarax on %b %05, %2006 - %12:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:08
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I entirely agree that your opponent sounds terrible, a bad sport and horrible player to have to endure playing.

But lighten up dude, it's a game. Mock him relentlessly at weekly meetings, get others laughing. hassle the comish a bit and accept whatever the outcome.

'Cos while i agree you were 'sportsman'd' out of the game, it does seem your 'record' is a little too important to you.

It's suppose to be fun, thats why its called play.
qk

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

tassel wrote:
qk wrote:
Incredible... it's a game... it's fun... but then... moronic behaviour... rules abuse...

Crushing his minis sounds proportionate to me.

Welcome to Games Workshop Tabletop World. Sounds like this rule abuser here is a regular FaBa/40k player. Every other coach is like that there. Wink

As a teenager, I used to play tabletop (BB and other stuff) and I did get to know some... weird people.

That's what I like best of Fumbbl. Loads of great coaches around, most of them really nice guys... and the odd moron FaBa/40k player is really easy to spot out! (spit out too!) Very Happy
VultureSquadron

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't Punch the Guy untill your Feet start to Bleed!

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Next time he leaves his team on a table, bench etc...
Sit on them Twisted Evil
qk

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Shit on them too (and God shave the Queen Very Happy)
f_alk

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
... the best way to get a rule fixed is to abuse it in the most flagrant way possible. ...

I played in a "real life" league once, where i did so for a similarly broken, but allowed rule.
And the commissioner -as a punishment for breaking the spirit but not the letters of the rule- ruled that the game was conceded by me which more or less destroyed my team. I left that league soon after, as the relationsship to the commissioner -and thus the main rules interpreter- was damaged beyond repair.

So, i strongly advise not to do the above.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
How the hell did you manage 50 wins in a row, while on fumbbl you fail to have positive stats with a single team?

Almost the same thing applies to me. I dominated my table top league, but am struggling on here. Why? I think it's because here a lot of really, really good players are around. If you can win effortlessly in your own league, you'll never optimize how you play and once you meet good players, you're going to fail.

Scoring a one turn touchdown with a movement 8 player by chainpushing is something I would have never thought of, but on fumbbl it's a standard move every decent coach knows about and knows how to counter it. This is just the most prominent example of new tricks I've learnt around here. In my own league, I didn't need one turn TDs, as I could win without them.

As for the OP: The guy "beat" you within the rules. It's disappointing, but the rules are the rules and what the ref says counts. I agree that the best course of action would be to abuse the rule, while at the same time pushing for its removal.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ungamarax wrote:
Here's THE ultimate loophole:
-You need to have minis to play tabletop right? Where in the rules does it state that destroying opponents minis is forbidden?
Funny how this usually gets them to play in the spirit of the rules, not blindly following the letter...

The problem is... if you destroy the property of others, then you will find real life legal action against you. There is a set of rules for the game of life.

And btw: The "ultimate loophole" would be killing your opponent coach.

A good set of rules is worded properly, so that the letters dictate the spirit.
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

f_alk wrote:
pac wrote:
... the best way to get a rule fixed is to abuse it in the most flagrant way possible. ...

I played in a "real life" league once, where i did so for a similarly broken, but allowed rule.
And the commissioner -as a punishment for breaking the spirit but not the letters of the rule- ruled that the game was conceded by me which more or less destroyed my team. I left that league soon after, as the relationsship to the commissioner -and thus the main rules interpreter- was damaged beyond repair.

So, i strongly advise not to do the above.

If you have a Commissioner (as in f_alk's case) who is willing and able to enforce rules according to their spirit, there generally shouldn't be too many problems (although of course we don't know much about the specific case and those involved here).

If you have one who is addicted to the letter of the law to the point of absurdity (as in Prymja's case), I say: battle absurdity with absurdity! Laughing

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Man a moron.
Undoubtedly I had killed him or something myself.
I can 100% understand your frustration.
However the commish is somewhat, right not to change a rule in the middle of a season.
However most commishes, and at least the one in my league (AROSBB) would have said that it should have been a rematch.
A rule is not ment to be abused.
My advise is to talk to the commish again, trying to explain it properly.
Asking for a chance to replay the match - or get 2´nd half.
In most leagues there will be morons, and every now and then we have our problems too.
That´s why it´s important to have a good impartial commish.
However if he still declines your reasonable "demands"
You have to figure out whether you want to leave or still be part of it.
Just remember it´s hard to find a good league to play in.
Good luck in your quest.
Oh and bitterness is only good for one thing - making you miss the glory of the day Wink
Prymja

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, first, to all who said that the commish is an idiot, yes he is, but we only have to suffer with him for 12 weeks, then another commish is voted in, if the commish does a good job, there is the chance he will be voted in again(this case is highly unlikely as of now)

Next, on changing the rule in mid season, I do agree it is horrible to change a rule unless it causes controversy, like this rule has finally done.

Now quiting the league, well I enjoy it, most of the rules are writen out with a lot of thought and a lot of explanations, those are as a result of an abuse some where along the lines, so this rule will most likely be ammended soon.

To the bathroom breaks, yes it was perfect use of the no turn time limit rule, great planning, also because the rule of 2 hours specifically states when the game was supposed to start, even better not being prepared. He was playing woodies, which meant if he took his time, he would suffer less turns for me to cause damage. I give him Kudos in every way of using the rule. But one thing I noticed I had failed to mention was that at the 2 hour mark, I had just scored the equalizing TD, to make it 1-1 and I had knocked out his one turn scorer (he put him on the pitch while on D, up against my ogre, I think my ogre enjoyed that one. He managed to score a second TD because of a failed dodge on his 7th turn. He failed his dodge, with a catcher out in the back field, I placed two guys on him, but did not foul (not big about doing that). But I failed to make it to his passer threw the line. On his 8th turn he stood his catcher up, leaped over my guys, and dodged out of my area into the TD zone. His thrower then stepped up and made a long pass. I thought it was great, he had shown skill in scoring the TD, I was happy for him that he got it. Then realising that I would get the ball back, and that I would then get the ball to start the second half, he threw in the rule, that is what pissed me off.

My record with my humans is great, but that is the last worry on my mind, I was having a great game, and had I lost to him in a full game, I still would have enjoyed it, so it was the way that I lost that hurt and pissed me off.

I will be seeing the commish tommorow, and one of the league guyhs I play with also works with me said he thinks some penalty will result, might even force the end of the game. I only hope so because I truely was enjoying the game, it was a match to find the best tactic, and as of now, he found the winning one, not to sure I would say best.
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2006 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

the time it was supposed to start.. so if you sleep in and dont make it to the game till after 2hrs I guess thats a turn 0 0-0 draw..
in a league with no draws you could run your season on a coin toss =)
 Jump to: