42 coaches online • Server time: 14:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Elf Team Large Fields Icons: Boys or Girls?
Bring on the Girls!
27%
 27%  [ 26 ]
Stick to Boys.
72%
 72%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 94

BigMac

Post 16 Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

We have these fantastic Portraits for the Elf Team availiable...
Problem is those are Girl Elves, yes Elfettes play the game and damn well they play!

Code:
[ELF TEAM]
Linewoman=elf_linewoman.gif
Thrower=elf_thrower.gif
Catcher=elf_catcher.gif
Blitzer=elf_blitzer.gif

Image Image Image Image

Please vote:

Should the Icon's for the Large Field's Project match the above Portraits, or should Icons and Portraits try to match the official Games Workshop miniature figures?

We are talking about a Basic Icon's and Portraits Pack to be included with the "official" Java Blood Bowl download. So while of course artwork can be customized and added later, we only want to include one Icon and one Portrait for each character with the basic download. Battle of the sexes, only one set can make it into the next "official" JBB release!

Last edited by BigMac on %b %11, %2006 - %23:%Jan; edited 2 times in total
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

why not make em amazons?

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

As a proud Geek who thinks Geekdom is something you should be able to be proud of, I'd rather not perpetuate the horny and frustrated stereotype anywhere it can be avoided. Men, please, or women with clothes.

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
why not make em amazons?

Well that would violate the official Games Workshop miniatures doctrine as well;
And the Amazon Portraits we have availiable are not really good, but the Elves are horrible.
Also, the Elf Team is an Exansion team to LRB 4.0, so they are one of the newest official Teams. My point beeing that they were experimental five minutes ago anyway, so nobody will notice this deliberate slip up :p.
In addition, a second Girl Team may attract more Girl Coaches... any i'm sure you guys can see the benefit in that... Very Happy
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

tomorrow (or this evening) ill have finished my Pro Elf team so I can put up pics to make into proper Pro Elf Portraits... my Paintjobs wont win Golden Demon, but te colourscheme I like!
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The pro elves resemble the old elves from 2nd edition.
Their headdress look much like the (avantguarde punk?) style which was popular in the 80's.
Use the old elf miniatures, they are great.

fen

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
tomorrow (or this evening) ill have finished my Pro Elf team so I can put up pics to make into proper Pro Elf Portraits... my Paintjobs wont win Golden Demon, but te colourscheme I like!

Drop a white background to them rob, it makes it a lot easier to turn them into portraits as you can just turn up the levels slightly to unify the white and then cut it all away. Smile
DaemonicLazoth

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I have seen those minis in person and when they are painted right they are really awesome. I love them, so please include them if not as the main icon set then as an alternative icon set

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2006 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I dig the Elfettes and all that jazz, but for the sake of standardization I think I'd prefer the male elves as the ones for the project. Switching the genders like that would cause just enough confusion to complicate the lives of a few people. Not to mention it could open the door to more customization in the initial project.

Either add the girl elves as an extra feature, or include them as a later update/download. But then, that's just my opinion. Smile
BigMac

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2006 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe we could apply a trick, and include a "new" Race. The Race would be calles "Elfettes" but their rules would be the exact same as those for the Elf team. (Same Race diffrent name). That way, you could create an "Elfettes" Team here on FUMBBL, and Java Blood Bowl would use girl icons and portraits for your Elf Team to use.

Christer, Ski, would that be within the parameters? I mean come on lets show a little flexibility here :p

ps. English Native Speakers: Is "Elfettes" the propper term and spelling for Elven Girls?
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2006 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
ps. English Native Speakers: Is "Elfettes" the propper term and spelling for Elven Girls?

Nah, there's no term meaning "female elf".

I think the best you could manage is "Elvin", which is really an adjective meaning "elf-like", but it sounds suitable for an elf team like that.

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2006 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Very good Work...Soon the Male Portraits of Elf Team
Pat Wink

BigMac

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

OK first of all, YES i have been listening.

The Girl Elf Team STAYS. Pat, please fix the "Receiver" (must be Catcher) and do a "Concept Version" of Girl Elf Icons.
Furthermore the "Great Unclean One" stays as the Beast's Portrait.

Here is the reasoning:
As i was expecting, few people participate, and interestest is beginning to slow down. We have a long way to go though. We want 1 set of Portraits and 3 complete sets of Icons for 21 Teams, 7 Big Guys and 26 Star Players. Including side views and animations; Thats a lot of work, a lot.

Pat never says no to anybody, and still he must be swamped with work. If we want this Project to succeed, we need to take workload off him.
Which is what i am doing right now. The Existing Elf and Beast Portraits are FINE. They stay untill the whole project is completed, then we will review the issue.

HOWEVER, there is a clear tendency in the community for the artwork to preserve the original Games Workshop look and feel of things, so the artists are advised to try to live up to that expectation when it is possible. I'm going to try to make this seem like i have any kind of authority by locking this topic now. Wink
Christer

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 23:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Since the thread is still on topic and not violating any rules or being hostile, I'm unlocking it again.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

While I hate to dash the hopes of 13 year old boys... when it comes to "Elves" vs. "Elfettes" I can only point to the poll and say... Scoreboard!

EDIT: I can't make sense of Big Mac's last post to determine if this dream is dead or not (likely just me being tired) but I thought I'd make one of my usual snotty comments anyway.
 Jump to: