53 coaches online • Server time: 23:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
El_Jairo

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I see all these teams with nice tables and other cool HTML features in their team bio I wanted to imitate this.

I thought: "this will be easy. I open my html editor, crate something I want convert it to HTML-code by choosing 'source view'" But of course, it isn't that easy, the only thing that worked was the table.

I know there we be a dozen of sites on the internet about HTML-code but I thought other FUMMBLers might like to have the info too. I also would be nice if it was included in the almighty user guide.

So could someone be soo nice to tell some basic stuff about HTML-code. How to make a table, allignment, background colour, font size, include url, etc.

Thx to all who whish to share their knowledge and wisdom! May Nuffle bless your dices! (although I don't know if that is good Wink )
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

W3 Schools...

I know you didn't ask for websites and whatnot...but this site is incredible...it's got everything you could ever want to know about html and coding..

--j

ImageImage
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

^^^^ What he said - was able to build stuff from scratch and started as a total NOOB

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Their tutorials are excellent, no matter what your experience level is.

The site every now and again has some perks that you need to take into account when using HTML. The most notably of these is the following: Every time you hit return while submitting your code/bio, that is taken as a line-break. (<br />). When creating tables, do not use multiple lines in your code - put it all on one line, or it will screw up the layout of the page. This makes coding/editing a real female dog, but otherwise it all works fine.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

here's another site that i found really good for learnign html code....

Link

i had a page all layed out just the way i wanted it (about a day to build a reference the code etc) and then when i copy pasted the code to fumbbl page discovered what mez just said and spent another 2 or 3 hours reediting so it looked right again.
Still that was an issue with my limited knowledge and the fumbbl site (almost wysiwyg) interface. the site and it's leasons are great.

Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2006 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak's tip of the day:
One more thing that is really useful on FUMBBL is that on the group pages, double quotes (i.e. ") often mess things up, and you lose all your lovely formatting. Instead, you can use single quotes in most places (i.e. '), and the parser will ignore them, making the html look good again!
(this actually applies in a couple of places, not just the group pages, so if you find that there is something weird going on - missing data / bad formatting - try replacing double quotes with single quotes.
Very Happy

hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2006 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm having difficulty creating a table in a forum post... is there any way to do that? The HTML I've tried hasn't worked. Confused

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

/bump

Anyone know if you can make tables in forum posts?

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

hunter wrote:
Anyone know if you can make tables in forum posts?

You can.

/pac summons the power and wisdom of brownrob to this thread!

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

as far as I know, you cant use phpbb code to generate tables in the forum (possibly in a later version), unless you can use html, i notice that HTML is set to on but if i say <u>this is underlined</u> it clearly isnt, so im unsure what that does...

*** edit ***

seems that it will take simple html code, probably the same stuff that BB code accepts... i just clicked disable bbcode
hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

<table><tr><td>test</td></tr></table>

-or-

[table][tr][td]test[/td][/tr][/table]

This is with BBCode disabled and HTML on. Is the HTML I've written correct?

Thanks for your help,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

It worked! Wow! I can add 'Summon brownrob' power to my character sheet! Smile
hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe... nice work. Smile Now if he could only definitively answer my question... Wink

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

well... one thing you can try, to order your data, is to write it in MS Word, in Courier New, dont use tabs, then post it here under the code tags and it should retain the spaces... check out the "My new team idea thread somewhere, i posted in that, you will see what I mean

Tables are impossible to do Im afraid with this version

Pac, thats a mighy powerful card you have now, just dont use it when your on the loo etc Laughing
hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the help, brownrob. I figured out that I can do what I want with the "pre" tags, or I might use "code". Won't look as pretty as a table, but it'll work.

Regards,
~hunter