34 coaches online • Server time: 10:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of CR in Ranked?
I love it, shows how good a coach I am!
10%
 10%  [ 29 ]
I like it, but its open to cherrypicking
29%
 29%  [ 81 ]
I dont pay much attention to it
36%
 36%  [ 99 ]
I dont play in ranked because of it!
9%
 9%  [ 25 ]
Other reason
5%
 5%  [ 14 ]
more flowers!
9%
 9%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 273

SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well well, not a serious discussion, interested to see the take on peoples views on CR in ranked, personally I dont like it and think it encourages cherrypicking, if there was to be a ranking system id prefer to see something similar to whats used in the MBBL, but dont know how practical it is, not for the coach, but for the teams involved

but id sooner have CR done away with Wink
Meech

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, or make it so your CR can only changed in sanctioned Fumbbl events (Fumbbl Cup or Fumbbl Smack etc...)

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I like it becasue it gives you some idea of the coaches skill. Above 160 generally knows how to play the game, below 150 makes crucial mistakes.

I used to think CR was important but now I joined some leagues, like E.LF. and since than I stopped caring that much. I like winning, but I don't want to cherrypick no more. Though it is hard to resist when a noob challenges your CD with his HE Laughing My policy is when they challenge they need to learn something.

Now in general I look out for coaches with a higher CR, because they will teach me how to play better.

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
Heh, or make it so your CR can only changed in sanctioned Fumbbl events (Fumbbl Cup or Fumbbl Smack etc...)

you may be onto something there!
Curro

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I actually don´t pay much attention to the CR, but as you´ve said that this isn´t a serious discussion about it, I´ve voted for more flowers in FUMBBL. I think that there aren´t enough flowers here...

Btw, if people don´t like the CR, there is a division called Unranked...
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
Well well, not a serious discussion, interested to see the take on peoples views on CR in ranked, personally I dont like it and think it encourages cherrypicking, if there was to be a ranking system id prefer to see something similar to whats used in the MBBL, but dont know how practical it is, not for the coach, but for the teams involved

but id sooner have CR done away with Wink

yes it implies some cherrypicking, what I don't really care about. I am now over 170 what makes me happy about it (since this is -for me at least- some acknowledgement to my coach skill). I am pretty sure I will drop again (I plan to play some smacks and will propably loose). But whatever, I feel good with it. Do I care that some have a better ranking than mine, maybe because they pick the right team/right opponent? No I don't.

Hell yes, there is a flaw for me since I have now more difficulty to find a game. I don't get game offers often, but it's fine. I even think that no ran kings at all could have his own flaws.

Whatever, I don't buy anymore the argument that R is "where you find games". You find them easier, but it's because in R, you find many people linking the ranking aspect.

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to add something. I am ALMOST SURE, that 90% of fumbbl coaches still cares a little about CR. My opinion is that, if you are ranked low and you manage to beat a really high ranked one, YOU ARE damn proud about it.

If if your CR doesn't count that much, that win means something to you.

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

well i know good coaches who have low CR, and I know bad coaches who have high CR. I dont need CR to tell me if a coach is good or not, i dont need CR to tell me that Im an above average coach, but IM not a good coach, by any stretch

i just feel that CR and win records etc are creating an unfriendly athmosphere, which is why im only playing stunty at the minute, sure its horribly broken, but i love the athmosphere, and the banter, and for me, that is half of Blood Bowl! Some of you are already aware Im pretty disillusioned with FUMBBL right at this minute Wink
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I think CR system sux, on the other hand: I can live with it as it is know, and let the people who care about care about. Bottom line: Leave it as it is, but I really don't care.

Voted: Don't pay much attention to it
Smess

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay an excuse to bash on high ranked coaches again!

Allow me to summarize the thoughts that some people will express here, but mostly only the conclusion will come up:
- I am a pretty decent coach, I mosltly lose due to bad dice. I do not pick my games at all.
- Still, there are people who have a better record than me. Why is this?
- There can be only two reasons: either they have way better dice than me (of course, my dice are the worst in the world), or either they shamelessly pick their games in order to win as much as possible (a thing that I of course would never do).

Hence, a minority will blame the dice (there are indeed lots of suspicous people that believe that they have the worst dice, and hence start talking about the dice not being random, hacks or admin client). The other part will come to the second conlcusion: all coaches ranked very high must be cherrypickers.
What they usualy don't see is that they start out with a wrong assumptions and thus get to the wrong conclusion.

Normaly this wouldn't bother me, you can believe what you want. What bothers me is that most of the time their conclusion (all coaches ranked very high must be cherrypickers) will get stated as a fact, and it must be true for each and everyone at high CR. Most of the time not a single drop of evidence for it will be given as well !

Seriously now, CR is inacurrate, and yes, it is open to cherrypicking. BUT, it is a pretty decent indicator of how good you are (in general a 170+ coach DOES play a lot better than a guy around 150). Also cherrypickers tend to expose themselves after a while, so we can witchhunt them.

So is CR flawless? No.
Is it good enough? Yes.
Curro

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

- I am a pretty decent coach, I mosltly lose due to bad dice. I do not pick my games at all.
- Still, there are people who have a better record than me. Why is this?
- There can be only two reasons: either they have way better dice than me (of course, my dice are the worst in the world), or either they shamelessly pick their games in order to win as much as possible (a thing that I of course would never do).

YES!! that´s what happens to me! I´m not bad, it´s just bad luck. (or bad cherrypickers) Wink
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

well im 160ish, i used to be 170ish, its not an attack on high CR coaches, as i used to be one. not saying all high CR coaches are cherrypickers, but the temptation is there... just feel that CR creates an unfriendly athmosphere... dont have time for an elaborate arguement, have to go back to work, more imporatant! Wink
Curro

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

dont have time for an elaborate arguement, have to go back to work, more imporatant!

More important than BB!!!¿¿¿???

Bleh...

/me wants brownrob out of the community right now!! Wink
RC

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to have an option where I could drop out of CR and mabe reset it to 150. So when people play me I am ranked at 150 but will not increase/decrease>

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

My best wish is an Open division (like Unranked) with LRB rules (like Ranked). No rating of any kind.

My second choice is Ranked as it is now... I don't care much about CR myself, mostly because I know I coach a race I consider below-average at high TRs and because I know my limits. I can beat a CR145 easily, but I also have my ass spanked everytime I challenge a CR 165+ coach. I always get congratulations and a handshake in return, but I lose. Very Happy So I know I won't hit the top unless I start cherrypicking (which I won't even try) and I know I will only fall below 150 CR due to bad dice or bad matchups. Or because I repeatedly try challenging higher CR ppl. I don't care if some sky-high CR coaches cherrypick or only play TR100 orcs in Rookie Rumbles (cough cough), after all I will never belong to the top-aces so it's unimportant to me if spots 1-3-4 and 6 in the top ten do not deserve the title.

And to sk8bcn: Ranked does get you more games, dude... this argument might be used as an excuse by some, but it is true nonetheless. In U there are less ppl and less teams. After all we are all here to play, and spending 2 hours on gamefinder cause U doesn't have anybody in your TR lfg is frustrating. When I sit in front of my PC I want to play. I don't want to wait hours. Those who play at work can, but not all coaches here are so lucky.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %24, %2006 - %14:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: