35 coaches online • Server time: 18:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2006 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

By popular demand (well, Macavity ...), the following sticky includes a list of links to past threads which have covered the length and breadth of some of fumbbl's all-too-familiar controversies.

A few points before the links themselves:

• Please also check out the Stickies at the top of other forums, particularly the Tactics & Strategy Forum, where lots of helpful advice on many subjects can be found. The list below deals more with common topics for pointless debate than anything that might actually be helpful! Wink

• This is simply a reference tool. Just because a subject has been discussed before and linked here does not mean it should never be discussed again. Nonetheless, you may find that there are interesting posts to read here, written by those who are by now sick of contributing.

• This list is a work in progress. If you want to recommend that a new thread be added to a section, or that an entire new section be added, please post a reply, and I will check it out and edit things into this initial post as we go ... Equally, if you think that a thread that is currently included is not 'worthy' and is just bulking the post out, name it and shame it.

Given that I am a relative noob in terms of the history of these forums, I'm sure I will have overlooked a number of defining texts in my first superficial search, so don't hesitate to point out my oversights!

• This thread is not for the purpose of discussing any of the controversial topics listed! Don't even think it!

• While compiling this list, I've come across a few pithy words of wisdom, some of which I dare to think can sum up an entire subject in one line. But I don't yet have one for each topic ... Suggestions are welcome, but there can only be one line for each topic! (Fight!!) Also, these lines must not be original, or your own: but rather drawn from the bowels of the forum's past.

Fouling:

Summary: Some coaches think fouling is nasty and spoils the game. Others think fouling is great fun. Still others disagree with both these positions ...

Threads:
- Fouling ( part of the game? ) - First post: Mar 29th, 2003 - The ultimate 70 page behemoth! Be afraid ...
- Fouling Thread #45873: Spawn Camping? - First Post: Apr 13th, 2005 - Featuring the famed wise words of Shepherd!
- Dirty Player or not - First Post: Dec 10th, 2005 - Runty younger brother of 'part of the game' above
- Foulers' Digest - First Post: Dec 22nd, 2005 - Summary version of 'Dirty Player or not'
- Turn 16 fouls and cheating - First Post: Jun 12th, 2007 - It's not what you think: apparently it's cheating not to foul on turn 16!

In one line: 'Foul is fair, and fair is foul.' -- Dreadclaw ... or possibly Shakespeare

Stalling

Summary: Some coaches think that to delay scoring when a clear opportunity exists is nasty and spoils the game. Others consider stalling to be a valid and often essential tactic. Still others disagree with both these positions ...

- Delaying TDs, good strategy or cheesy exploit? - First post: Oct 10th, 2003 - Classic title as well

Cherry-picking:

Summary: Some coaches think that other coaches are being too selective about the games they will play. Other coaches think those coaches should mind their own business. Still others disagree with both these positions ...

Threads:
- "I don't play dwarves, undead or chaos"... - First post: Oct 14th, 2003 - "Or 'flings ..."
- The essence of cherry picking - First post: Aug 6th, 2004 - The cherry, pickiest of the fruits

In one line: 'I would say you are a cherry picker if you constantly issue challenges that, were the team owner's reversed, you yourself would decline.' -- SkiJunkie

Slow Play

Summary: It. Took. Me. Precisely. Four. Minutes. To. Write. This. Sentence.

Threads:
- Slow Play - First post: Nov 13th, 2005 - Describing a problem without solution ...
- 4 minute rule - First post: Feb 23rd, 2006 - Only a fool - Breaks the 4 minute rule!

Sportsmanship:

Summary: (Overlaps with several other categories.) Should coaches adopt certain standards of behaviour (beyond what is demanded by the site rules)? Can anyone ever agree on what those standards should be?

- Sportsmanship - First post: Feb 15th, 2003 - There's a clue in the title
- Code of Cool Coach Conduct - First Post: Apr 3rd, 2003 - Early post: and how little has changed since!
- Etiquette: pre-match altering - First Post: Sep 19th, 2005 - The key issue of hirings and firings before a match

The random number generator

Summary: Is it really random? No, it's pseudo-random. Is that good enough? No, you personally have been cursed by Nuffle to fail every GFI.

- The Random results are so? - First post: Oct 11th, 2004 - Perceptions, probability, and unnecessarily complicated maths clash!
- Java Random Number Generator - seems FINE. - First post: Jan 3rd, 2006 - Yet more!
- Random numbers, luck and playing the odds... - First post: Jan 4th, 2006 - And again!

Coach Ranking

Summary: Some coaches want to be ranked. Other coaches don't want to be ranked. Still others disagree with both these positions ...

- Coachrating - First post: Aug 23rd, 2004 - The whys and wherefores of the all-mighty CR.
- CR: Your thoughts! - First post: Jan 24th, 2006 - Such a fuss over three to five digits ...

In one line: 'If you don't care about coachranking, please save your time and my time and do not post.' -- CircularLogic
[No, this doesn't sum up the CR question. I just thought it sounded funny taken out of context. - pac]

Miscellaneous

Summary: These threads don't quite fit into any of the above categories, but are classics that should not be missed in their own right!

- How to be a Right Bastard - First post: Apr 30th, 2005 - An ongoing 30+ page guide on how to be as unpleasant as possible to your opponent without actually breaking the rules

- The Recordopedia Spluttanica - First post: July 28th, 2004 - The thread which gave birth to Fumbbl's book of records

- Hitting the Cycle: A Larson or a Thundercall? - First post: Jan 10th, 2005 - What name should be given to that rare event when a player makes a completed pass, a touchdown, a casualty, an interception, and wins the MVP award all in one match?

Last edited by pac on Apr 03, 2012 - 03:16; edited 9 times in total
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2006 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Sticky!!!

now we can coin a new catch phrase...insteas of "RTFM" or "search button, n00b"....we can start saying "do you even read the forums, pinhead?" Smile

--j

ImageImage
Mezir

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Always read stickies first! Ah, were is that flash cartoon about forum behaviour when you need it...

I'm actually tempted to do it - let's see if people can come up with more topics that should be added to the original post.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the "How to be a Right Bastard" sould be on the list to. Its one of the funniest things I ever read! So maybe you sould have a funny or weird catagori! Or just put it under the sportmanship.
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes but what if the sticky is stuck (e.g. locked)? Newbs have to be able to give their shout out, even if it is an echo. Great job Pac.
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

banana_fish900 wrote:
Yes but what if the sticky is stuck (e.g. locked)? Newbs have to be able to give their shout out, even if it is an echo.

A sticky doesn't have to be locked, so 'future classics' could still be added at a later date. It would indeed be important that the existence of a source of reference like this was not used simply as an excuse to shout down new posters (who weren't around to have their rightful say in the past).

[Miscellaneous section, with 'How to be a Right Bastard', added.]

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

and where is the PIE thread?

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

That's everywhere my friend... everywhere...

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

TBB have their own archived section, for reading, not posting, dont see why we cant! Wink put it at the very top!
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
TBB have their own archived section ...

Their 'Khemri Playbook' thread reached 9 pages!? That can't be right ...

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Am stickying this as I find it a worthy effort, and with the aid of the community it could grow to be a pretty complete archive of the "dead horse" posts.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a layout suggestion - you can use
Code:
<hr />
in the forum to insert dividing lines - works a treat.

Maybe it's worth adding links to some of the "beginners guide" threads (there are a couple of good ones around). I'll have a look and see if I can find some other classic threads Very Happy

Edits...

2006-03-08: Here's a great "in one line" on stalling:
DukeTyrion wrote:
It takes 2 people to stall ... one to sit with the ball stalling, and one with players too far away in a bad tactical position to stop it

Last edited by Laviak on Mar 08, 2006 - 04:32; edited 1 time in total
Plorg

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should have a "Dwarves kill Amazons and they are both broken" thread section.
Buur

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I think this thread could be the pie thread!
Pie any one?

-Buur

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
How to be a Right Bastard - First post: Apr 30th, 2005 - An ongoing 30+ page guide on how to be as unpleasant as possible to your opponent <i>without</i> actually breaking the rules.

Yes! The greatest thread ever. Glad to see it will be enjoyed by generations of fumbblers to come.
Coincedentally, did the admins ever let anyone name a team "Right Bastards"? I remember people kept trying.
 Jump to: