34 coaches online • Server time: 10:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Whoa! FUMBBL got a new division! First new division while i´ve been here. Apart fron the International obviously but..well... Smile

Not a renaming or a tweak, a whole new division with a single purpose : allowing people to play games that has no effect on their W/D/L ratio thus allowing for some experimenting. Cool.

The admins have made it and it is ready for us to use, so lets get tweaking. What would YOU like to happen there? Real-time commented matches by renowned teams/coaches? RRR/smack-style tournaments? Normal player-run tournaments with somewhat of a learning point to it? Replay-revision?

I would like to start out by asking if there could be held some sort of RRR-style tournaments. Afterall, there is a great difference in playing open games and scheduled games. No picking opponents etc. There didn´t need to be any prizes or anything and a few matches between realtively new coaches are bound to contain loads of learning points. Maybe only for those with less than 50 games played on fumbbl to ensure that only true newbies play.

Anyway, do you have any ideas?

M

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be concerened about any 'entry requirements' to Academy. I've only ever played 54 games on Fumbbl yet I would still consider myself to be 'tactically inefficient'.

It would be nice to see some type of tourni set up within the division to ensure that people can get regular games and also, as another learning element, this time geared towards the league/tourni element.

So far I've played just the one game but I'm hoping for quite a few more.
PLATYPUS

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 02:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be great to be able to move unranked teams to academy.

Will that happen?
Jaelum

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I've played around 40 matches on FUMBBL, and today played my first game in [A]. Though I was destroyed, it was an enjoyable match and had the opportunity to go a bit slower and I *did* learn a few things. I will be active in [A] for a while, and would encourage those who have a "community" approach to Blood Bowl to make a team or two there.
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:17
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

While the primary intention of this division is to give newcomers a non-competetive, LRB compliant place to start, I am hoping that anyone who wants to improve their game will play here. It really doesn't matter if you've just started playing and need help with the most basic things such as "protect the ball" or if you're trying out more advanced defensive formations. The Academy is intended as a division where people should be more inclined to help their opponents with tactical decisions since it won't hurt their record.

But as with everything else, we'll see what the community makes of it Smile
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see an "advanced workshop" for people who are still stumped with doing one turn touchdowns (me). This advanced workshop should also teach coaches how to deal with (and beat) stallers and foulers in a way that doesn't involve ranting on the forum.

It would also be nice if there was a classic matchup section (game of the month) with commented match replays, maybe some deeper turn analysis and interviews with both coaches, maybe a panel of experienced coaches discussing the match afterwards. I envision the classic matchup being done with non-frontloaded TR100 teams (perhaps with the starting rosters from the box set), by coaches from the CR170+, or >400 matches played range.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

i think that is a great idea torsoboy i think it would bring great interest from the average player like myself. but it would rely on the great players being willing to dedicate time to it

There was this disturbance in the water, then suddenly this giant testicle came out and grabbed me
Curro

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with torsoboy.

and I think that eliminating the TR150 cap would be good to learn about playing with highr TR teams. I suck at that...

I´ve just created my Academy team. If you need help, just ask and I´ll try to help you with the basics. CYA!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

No need to take out the 150TR cap. That's for newbies. We don't have to teach them until they reach TR220... or CR 190... they will made their own mistakes, and real BB is that of low TR anyway.

However, if you need training you can play any team to learn. Just disable Fumbbl Login before playing.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the TR150 cap. The [A]cademy is for newbies to learn the basics of BloodBowl. Other coaches can figure out some ideas of tacics they have in mind or just use uncommen skills you rarely use.To play high leveled teams is more advanced.
If you really wanna play your [A]cademy team above TR150, well, feel free to switch it to [U]nranked. Perfect place to play, if you formed up your coaching style. Games will count from know on in your personal game record, but, hell, who takes care of that... ? And still, games do not influence your CR.
I have two teams in [A]cademy so far and wanna skill them not with the "best" skills available, but show a broad skill distribution. Why not giving a Dwarf Pro, Strip Ball, Kick, Pass Block, Piling On, etc. for first skill? No doubt, Guard is the most efficient skill for Longbeards and I also will take this skill, but - hey - I wanna indroduce the newbies and do not play to win every single game. So, I won't stall, foul senceless when my opponent is down to a couple of players etc. .
To all the 'good' coaches out there: help the n00bs by giving them tactical advices in game, even your players get in danger. You will not get a powerfull team, since it is stopped at TR150, so why protect your best player from getting injured?!

Last edited by Markusen on Mar 27, 2006 - 14:29; edited 2 times in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Markusen wrote:
To all the 'good' coaches out there: help the n00bs by giving them tactical advices in game, even your players get in danger. You will not get a powerfull team, since it is stopped at TR150, so why protect your best player from getting injured?!

Of course. That's the point of the whole division, isn't it?

I am not a good coach, but I have some experience with humans I could share. So I created a human team for those seeking advice.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I like the TR150 cap. The [A]cademy is for newbies to learn the basics of BloodBowl. To play high leveled teams is more advanced.
If you really wanna play your [A]cademy team above TR150, well, feel free to switch it to [U]nranked. Perfect place to play, if you formed up your coaching style. Games will count from know on in your personal game record, but, hell, who takes care of that... ? And still, games do not influence your CR.

Yes, you´re right. Now I´m convinced. Smile
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I'll foul a lot to make sure they get used to hardship before they enter the real world. Make them tough and gun-ho and such.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
I think I'll foul a lot to make sure they get used to hardship before they enter the real world. Make them tough and gun-ho and such.

I'd have loved to be introduced to the game like this. Took me about a year before I managed to rid myself of the "morals" that had been "enforced" upon me when I joined. Teaching new players that it's OK to stall and foul and actually make them LIKE it would be the best thing you could to to them - it's certainly improved my enjoyment of the game to embrace all aspects (and made me a better coach I'd say).

Just remind them that whatever way of playing they choose to adobt the most important thing is to respect that your opponent might not share those views but respect each other non the less and make some light hearted banter.

In the end it's more fun if we have different kinds of coaches - at least if those coaches could just have fun no matter what. Come to think of it - the most important lesson the newcomers (and vets alike) can learn is just to enjoy oneself.

Cheers,
Red
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2006 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Mithrilpoint wrote:

I would like to start out by asking if there could be held some sort of RRR-style tournaments. Afterall, there is a great difference in playing open games and scheduled games. No picking opponents etc. There didn´t need to be any prizes or anything and a few matches between realtively new coaches are bound to contain loads of learning points. Maybe only for those with less than 50 games played on fumbbl to ensure that only true newbies play.

Anyway, do you have any ideas?

M

bad idea. Usually newcommers are unable to fulfill the requierements of a scheduled league.