44 coaches online • Server time: 17:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Shoould Academy teams be allowed to move to unranked...
No
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 194

MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I have watched a few Academy games cause I saw coaches with 160+ & 170+ coach rating with Academy teams and was curious why they were playing, then I thought, oh they are helping out newbies, NOT !!!

In a few games I watch I never saw a high ranking coach give advice to his opponent... I made a Nurgle team and talked to my opponent and pointed thing out to him while playing, I thought that was the reason for the division, atleast according to christer

Christer
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While the primary intention of this division is to give newcomers a non-competetive, LRB compliant place to start, I am hoping that anyone who wants to improve their game will play here. It really doesn't matter if you've just started playing and need help with the most basic things such as "protect the ball" or if you're trying out more advanced defensive formations. The Academy is intended as a division where people should be more inclined to help their opponents with tactical decisions since it won't hurt their record.

But as with everything else, we'll see what the community makes of it

Well I have one major suggestion to this division if it is to help out newbies...

1. DONT LET teams be able to move to Unranked Division...
This just lets the better coaches to pick on new players and build their teams !!!

2. Dont let teams advance in skills, let all teams stay at tr 100 and let them learn instead of using the newbies for Free Star Player Points to build up their teams and move to unranked...

The Academy Division was built to help newbies, suppose to talk to them, make suggestions, give advice, not abuse them...

I privately chatted with one newbie as he was being abused so to speak and his opponent wasnt offering any suggestions at all... Sad to say, the newbie wont be playing for a while due to his opponents not helping out like they should be...

I think the Academy Division needs some tweeking...
Smerbev

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of not moving the team out of Academy. That way there really isn't an incentive to run a team unless you want to help others, or you need some help yourself.

So far I've had positive experiences in Academy. I've played a few people who I've learned a few new ideas from and I've played others who, I hope, gained something from me.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style2,Unknown-spc-Kadath.png]Image[/url]
Laviak

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess the trouble is that coaches starting out in [A] are probably giong to start building a team, and then discover that they have to start over (rather than being able to continue using the team in another division) - I can't see a better solution just yet though, and it would be much better than it is now.

I think that skill progression is an important thing to have in Academy, as it is something that would be really handy to know something about before moving into [R]. One thing that might work woud be to force coaches with "high" CRs (say over 155) to have their team set to no progression. It gives new coaches a chance to learn how to add to their teams, and prevents abuse by high CR coaches. (It doesn't prevent abuse by experienced low CR coaches though)

I personally have played only a couple of [A] games, but I really hope that the suggestions I've been able to give the coaches I've played have been helpful... If only there was a way for new coaches to know which people are abusing the system, and which are actually trying to help...

DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm all for the non-moving part.... Teams created in A should stay in A, to prevent the 'bashing of noobs' just mentioned.

But stopping the skill-advancement would be daft... Skilldevelopment is a vital part of BB...

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes no moving should be allowed. To easy to develop teams against newbies. Academy should only stand for itself.
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Melmoth wrote:
Yes no moving should be allowed. To easy to develop teams against newbies. Academy should only stand for itself.

Then we could cut the TR limit and play in A on all TR/TS... which i would like to.

Regards
Sys
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. If Academy is abused; make it no longer possible to move teams to U.

Even if I seriously doubt if many do this.
What would be the point for an 'unfairly bloated' Unranked team?

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

IF Coach has no teams in other divisions than [A] THEN allow change to [U]
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The downside to not transfering is that it reduces the incentive to create teams in [A].

If you are learning to play a new race you don't want to have to stop and begin again at TR 150.
If it takes too long to get a game then noobs will end up just playing in [R] as happened before [A].

Maybe increasing or removing the TR limit would be a good move.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

f_alk wrote:

I think this option is fine....
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

"IF Coach has no teams in other divisions than [A] THEN allow change to [U]"

oh I create 3 [A] teams since I am a noob the I feel I am ready, I move to [U] then crap can't move the other 2, I have a non-A team.

Besides: I have a A team. I was from the real Academy FUMBBL_ACADEMY and not fumbblacademy and when a noob wanted to learn the game I shared most of my wisdom. I did explained things, give advices, left holes in my defense then gave my opponent a goal (now you must find a way to score, by using at most 1 handoff and 3 2die-blocks).

I really putted efforts in it. I've gone to the new academy. erm.. ok I am not opped anymore. No difference between me and a newbee. No teacher status...many vet's that I never seen in the old academy.

I gave up! my academy team here to teach has the outstanding result of 0 games played.

And your post doesn't give me any envy to try much harder.

Limiting CR to enter blocks teachers. Limiting acces to A team creation will kill the division. The reason why vets plays in it is unclear (especially considering the number of "U in open is for noobs. Give me ranked" posts.

bahhh
:/

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Your point 2 is ... senseless ... not making teams progress in skills means you cannot learn how to play to counter those skills you might fear or have problems with.

But besides that, I agree.
Everblight

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree myself.

I can't define myself a good coach but maybe there is something I know I may share with others. Since sometimes I actually DO cherrypick (yes I admit it... anyway I tend to do that only for recovery games purpose) maybe my guilty soul will be relieved from a sin or two if I offer my two cents worth of knowledge??

I think not.

But anyway... I'll do an orc academy team. This team will NOT in any occasion be transferred to any other division but will keep firing players and discarding rerolls to stay under 150 TR.

With this team I will play any newbie coach that asks me. Winning will not be paramount with this team and more important will be to show maneuvers to the other coaches. We are trainers and so we are here to train your teams so you may become a coach as good as coach Everblight!!!!

...er....

..don't know how good that will be for you, though. Razz
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

f_alk wrote:

This is a smart suggestion.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

How about they can move team from [A] to [U] if they have no ranked teams?
 Jump to: