57 coaches online • Server time: 22:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cthol

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

So, i just played this game, during which I had the opportunity to equalise in turn 8. I could have simply walked over the line, no dice rolling. Instead I handed off to another player in order to get a skill (AG3, reroll available). He dropped the ball. I went on to draw in the second half, but I'm kicking myself for not taking the TD in the 1st half.

Was the AG3 handoff too risky? Would you have done the same? What are people's priorities for scoring / skilling?
Ravenmore

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Handoffs give SPPs?
Shephard

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Touchdown with the guy receiving the hand off gives SPP.

It's a question of priorities. Do you want SPP on specific guys, or do you want to guarantee victory? Anything involving dice rolling is a risk, no matter what the odds. I only force SPP on specific players if the game outcome is already basically decided (one way or the other), or I have time and good position to recover from a screw up.
cthol

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

lol, no, the handoff doesn't, maybe that wasn't clear. I wanted the TD spps to go to a guy who was 2 spps away from a skill, rather than a guy who had just got one; I can't remember but I think it was 14 spps versus 16 spps.

I try to be conscious of who is scoring, passing etc so as to spread the spps around. The team has 232 spps spread over 16 players, from 0 to 36, with a total of 20 skills, which works out at 18 spps per skill. Has anyone else averaged spps like this? I think there might be some interesting statistical analysis to be done, but I don't have the brain electricity to spare right now Smile
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Usually I setup my plays, that the ball is in hands of the intended scorer in T7. If for whatever reasons this isn`t possible, then I might accept a 2+ with RR, but probably I`d just score. If I score chances are, that i can get within the same match into a position where I can risk a handoff because the game is already decided.
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on the scoreboard for me. If the score is important (and most TD's are) i wont do anything but score as my first action, no blocks, handpffs or the like. I've seen doubleskull rr doubleskull too many times to play the spp game Smile

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a munchkin.

I'dve fallen over the line, sod the handoff. Wink
Grod

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I play conservatively, so I almost never make such hand-offs or passes. I regard anything less than a 2 dice re-rollable block (preferably with block skill) as too risky, but if team building is your thing, then an 8/9 hand-off may be ok, just not for me.

Oscar Wilde
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

For blocking it`s usually a risk/reward analysis. A casualty on a 2d block is 1/120 (AV9 blodge) or better. A rerollable 2dblock with block at hand has a 1/1296 chance to fail. So your chance for an additional gain is at least 10 times as high as the chance for a loss. Now if I ask myself, would I give up a TD for 10 cas on blodging orcs? - hell yeah, most of the times.

As blocks without reroll or with reroll but without block fail 1/36 and 1/81 times respectively, the win/reward isn`t in my favor. So I don`t do it. And if I need that TD to advance in the tourney, I will score no matter what.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

cthol wrote:
So, i just played this game, during which I had the opportunity to equalise in turn 8. I could have simply walked over the line, no dice rolling. Instead I handed off to another player in order to get a skill (AG3, reroll available). He dropped the ball. I went on to draw in the second half, but I'm kicking myself for not taking the TD in the 1st half.

Was the AG3 handoff too risky? Would you have done the same? What are people's priorities for scoring / skilling?

I'd never done this. Win>>experience.

And here it was a 1/9 to fail. I wouldn't have tried a 1/36 roll.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Knowing Nuffle, Grod pattern of thought is not that wrong. If it were pure mathematics...

Why Nuffle hates Elves?

Last edited by Ironik on %b %10, %2009 - %14:%May; edited 1 time in total
spelledaren

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I always play to win, so wouldnt have made that hand off. Turn 7 with 2 rerolls left and plenty of room , sure.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have made it and failed it 50% of the time.. in turn 8 the probability is just that. I you where down 2-0 and it was a concelation score then I would also made the handoff and it would have worked 90%of the time. Smile

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't gamble what you can't afford to lose.

You know the odds of failure.

How badly do you want the win?
How badly do you want the SPPs
What do you think are your chances of winning if you don't get tha TD?

Decisions, decisions. That's what makes the game.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2009 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

There is one basic rule: Always score if the opportunity arises. Sure you might want to stall at one time or another but giving away a guaranteed TD and then drawing or even losing is as stupid substitute for 3 SPP. I think everyone is guilty of this though Smile

Jump to: