72 coaches online • Server time: 22:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2006 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

XFL Khemri 2006
Plorg's Picks

Now the schedule isn't up yet, but there are certain things we can expect from an all-Khemri tournament.
First off, if we sort the Blood Bowl rosters by Casualties inflicted, the leaders are...

Khemri ... +1.03
Dwarf ... +0.66
Orc ... +0.48
Ogre ... +0.42

There are several reasons for Khemri's dominance in the bashing game.

+ 4x ST5 Mummies (GS)
+ 2x Blitz-Ras (GS)

As Dwarfs, Orcs, and Ogres all know, Strength access makes low-spp players awesome bashers.
All a player really needs to be a good basher is Block, Guard, and to a lesser extent Mighty Blow and Tackle.
Since this is a Khemri tournament, we shouldn't expect to see much Dodge so let's set Tackle aside.
Block, Guard, Mighty Blow.
For Mummies and Blitz-Ras, this is only two normal skill increases.
More skills are nice gravy but not essential and make the player a bigger target.

+ 30k Linemen (DP)

Skeletons are the *perfect* Dirty Players. The team doesn't lose much if they get sent off and their damage potential far outweighs their cost.

+ Regeneration everywhere

One thing to note about all official FUMBBL Tournaments is that if there is a tie after 16 turns (per player), then the game goes another full half (8 turns each) of OverTime.
When a team depends on Regeneration (which a player can use any number of times) instead of an Apothecary (which can be used once), then they can better withstand the attrition of a full 24 turn game.
What this means is that these Khemri teams might still be quite strong in OT, depending on Regen rolls and how many DPs are sent off.

+ Ramtut III

For 80k, Khemri teams can hire 5629 Block, Mighty Blow, Break Tackle, Regenerate Star.
ST 6 and Break Tackle means this player can attempt crazy dodges into cages (with reroll access) for powerful blitzes.
However as with all rosters with only one Star Player in a mirror match, either one coach will have him or neither will.
A Khemri team with a high treasury (200k+) can effectively buy out Ramtut for the duration of a three-round tournament.

So in summary we should expect this Tournament to have some of the bashiest, fouliest, ruthlessest games ever seen on FUMBBL.
If you're into that sort of thing (heh heh), then stay tuned...
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2006 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that the schedule is up, we can take a look at the participating teams.

Going over these teams, it is evident that not all Khemri teams are the same. They may be very very similar, but not identical.
There are some specific things to look for in a team in an all-Khemri tournament:

+ Ramtut Rounds (Treasury / 80k)
+ Guards
+ Dirty Players
+ Rerolls
+ Fan Factor

Rerolls are exceptionally important for Khemri if they plan on moving the ball around the field. Thro-Ras have Sure Hands for a built-in reroll (which is essential) but they still have AG 2 and drop the pickups a lot. If any player other than the Thro-Ras attempt to carry the ball, then rerolls are crucial.
FF is mainly important for the advantage when Getting the Ref. Other kickoff results are nice, but in a world of DPs that kickoff result can end the game early.

Now... the teams!

-----

Krush Kill 'n' Destroy (228/210)
+ Ramtut: 2-3 (180k)
+ Guard: 5
+ DP: 4
+ RR: 6
+ FF: 17

Egyptian Corpses (162/170)
+ Ramtut: 2* (80k*)
+ Guard: 0
+ DP: 0
+ RR: 4
+ FF: 9
*already purchased Ramtut for Round 1.

The Corpses have a full roster, Ramtut, some Block, and 2 +AG rolls. The AG is almost useless here.
The lack of Guard and Dirty Player means that the Corpses are going to be severely outbashed by the KKD.
Aside from handicaps, their only advantage Ramtut can easily be bought out by the opponent. That is, if KKD deems it a worthy expenditure.
KKD could easily win this game regardless and save the money for the next rounds.

Plorg's Pick: Krush Kill 'n' Destroy by 2

-----

Kauliniai (235/215)
+ Ramtut: 1-2 (110k)
+ Guard: 4
+ DP: 3
+ FF: 14

Junglist Rude Boys (232/209)
+ Ramtut: 2-3 (190k)
+ Guard: 5
+ DP: 4
+ FF: 11

One thing to look for in this game: Hail Mary Pass.
Both teams have it, so expect some deep backfield Thro-Ra plays to scrambling upfield skeletons.
This might spread out the players a bit over the field and reduce the overall effectiveness of Guard.
Another interesting note is the Junglist Rude Boys consistent wall of Break Tackle mummies.
Anticipate some insane cage breaking blitzes by the JRB.
While Break Tackle and Hail Mary Pass are both reroll eaters, both teams are stocked with 6 RR.
This should be a very interesting match to spectate.

Plorg's Pick: Junglist Rude Boys by 1

-----

Pushing is fun (206/190)
+ Ramtut: 0 (20k)
+ Guard: 2
+ FF: 8

Scarab Beatles (220/192)
+ Ramtut: 3 (230k)
+ Guard: 3
+ DP: 2
+ FF: 12

A DP-free team goes up against everlasting Ramtut.
The Scarab Beatles have all the advantages here, including enough cash to give Plorg a headache next game Very Happy.
A quick look at the TD and Cas differences for both teams makes the outcome of this match clear.

Plorg's Pick: Scarab Beatles by 1

-----

Ashes (219/203)
+ Ramtut: 1-2 (120k)
+ Guard: 7
+ DP: 6
+ RR: 5
+ FF: 12

Ancient Pigskins (192/185)
+ Ramtut: 0 (70k)
+ Guard: 4
+ RR: 5
+ FF: 10

Ashes (coached by Yours Truly Very Happy) is based on two principles: Guard and Dirty Player.
Getting lucky on the doubles skill rolls makes this the meanest pack of skeleton linemen Plorg has ever seen let alone coached.
The mummies are average, and the niggled one (by recent aging) will certainly be leaving after the tournament.
The Ancient Pigskins have some dangerous Blitz-Ras, which means they will be priority targets to the horde of Ashes DPs.

Plorg's Pick: Ashes by 1
(^^^ look! author bias! ^^^)
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2006 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm surprised Boot to the Head is a no-show.

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2006 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice summary and some good points made. furthermore, I think that this is the first time someone did something like this for a XFL tournament. Total support from me for it, since I dont understand, why just the major tournaments should get all the attention.

On the otherhand this could most easily become the biggest farce of tournament, since it is all that much dependend on 4+ rolls. The first round is quite okay and all in all even matchups (okay mine isnt but most others are, especially concerning that this is a tournament without TR limit).
And to name the 4+ rolls: Coin Flips, regeneration, pick ups and fouls with the eye on you. Everything 4+ and especially the regeneration thing could lead to some very uneven matchups in the second round, since even only one or two mummies missing can have a huge impact on a Khemri team. And most of the teams in the tournament and especially your first round favorites seem to rely on the same tactic which involves having 4 mummies.

so good luck to everyone - i would really like to see some stats about how many CAS or fouls are made during the whole tourney. Should be more than even in some 32 player tournaments...

good luck to all other participants
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2006 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that cas/foul statistic is not that hard to make after the games are done. I can do it for the round 1, I just love statistics.

And in my opinion, this is way more interesting than the previous XLF´s, as now all the teams are relying on the same tactic: bash everything. No team has any better ball handling than other. 4 teams has one +AG, and two of them are nigglers. So no elfball coming.

It'll be entertaining to see those games, as there will be blood. And we all love blood.

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2006 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know who it was, but I played someone with an AG 4 Thro-Ra once. Man that was a sweet player. Shame he had no one to catch the ball, but man that was a sweet player.

PS: I'm flattered, but I'm not sure I'd have picked me to win first round. Certainly not with any certainty. Melissa's Khemri have been around forever, and I've seen her get a fair bit of success in mixed tourneys with this team before.

Shame its retirement party is so soon Twisted Evil
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2006 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Round 1 Update:
With two games done, Krush Kill 'n' Destroy and Scarab Beatles pull ahead as predicted.
Props to their opponents Thorpe_Star and Zlefin for taking a mummy out of both winning teams.
With 110k in the bank and a mummy dead, this might affect whether Krush Kill 'n' Destroy hires Ramtut anytime soon.
Scarab Beatles came through with only an MNG on their best mummy.
They have the cash to drop and replace him with a fresh one and hire Ramtut too, but the skills on the MNG make that a questionable move.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Update continued...
Round 1 started with a bang and ended with a whimper...
Win by no-show forfeit? Win by concession?!?
This is not the stuff that tournaments are made of!

In a surprise upset (as Plorg's Picks are concerned), Kauliniai achieved a win by concession over the JRB.
The luck percentages for that game indicate just how dangerous a Khemri team's life is.
While they have tremendous offensive bashing power, the truth remains that most of the team is AV 7.
If Nuffle is on your side (luck >70%), then your bashing and fouling causes tremendous casualties.
If Nuffle is not on your side (luck < 45%), then pretty much anything you try ends in failure.
This game demonstrated both ends of the spectrum.

In the interest of commentating the bashiness of this tournament, this match is valuable evidence.
Watching the replay, we see:

JRB receives
Kickoff: Throw a Rock: KO Ramtut(JRB)
Before the game even starts, Nuffle tells JRB that Ramtut will not be playing in this drive.

T1(Kaul):
Block: SI Mummy(JRB) no regen
Foul: SI Mummy(JRB) no regen
After Kauliniai's first turn, they have taken two JRB mummies out of the game for good.

T2(JRB):
Block: KO BlitzRa(Kaul)
T2(Kaul):
Block: KO Mummy(JRB)
One JRB mummy still standing on the field at this point.
Kauliniai moves a Blitz-Ra into the JRB backfield to harass the Thro-Ra ball carrier.

T3(JRB):
Dodge: KO ThroRa carrier(JRB)
The JRB Thro-Ra tries to Dodge away from the Kauliniai Blitz-Ra, and KO's himself on the failed Dodge.
No other JRB players are in range to pick up the ball.

T4(Kaul):
Block: BH BlitzRa(JRB) no regen
Block: KO Skel(JRB)
Foul: SI Mummy(JRB) regen! sendoff!
At this point, JRB has three players remaining on the field, with all mummies in the dugout.
Kauliniai's Blitz-Ra is in range to pick up the ball and score in the next turn.

... concession(JRB)
----------------------------------

As for the Ashes/Ancient Pigskins game, kypseli's no-show takes Ashes into the second round with no damage.
Unfortunately, it also takes Ashes into the next round without any expected winnings, which affects the long term Ramtut purchasing plan.
Hopefully, the winnings from a Round 2 win will be at least 40k to afford Ramtut in round 3.

Scarab Beatles vs Ashes is expected to be played sometime tomorrow afternoon (as far as the Western U.S. time zone is concerned).
tuco

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Update on that: Scarab Beatles vs Ashes tentatively scheduled for 23:00 bb time (5 PM Eastern US) today, Sunday.
tuco

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll just go ahead and write my team's eulogy now:

The Scarab Beatles are one of the meanest, toughest teams around. It typically takes about 20 minutes to find anyone willing to play them. They have kicked the crap out of ogres. They have made dwarves concede. They have made orcs cry. They have retired teams. They have made a diet out of the baddest teams on Gamefinder, inflicting an average of 3.5 casualties per game.

But he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.

You see, the problem is: somewhere out there, there is always somebody even tougher.

And today, the Beatles will get to meet them.

With their best mummy injured, the Beatles will face Plorg's Ashes, a team of absolute butchers. This team makes the Beatles look like wood elves. These murderous monsters have averaged an unbelievable 4.5 casualties per game over 39 games. God knows how many teams they have retired. If you want a riotous laugh, watch one of their replays. ANY of them. Riotous laugh for you, that is. But for the Beatles, as they watched the footage of their next opponents giving team after team a lesson in fouling, Ozymandias' words seemed to rise from the sand: "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

But this much I promise:

I'm not giving Plorg another bye. The Beatles will show up. And no matter what happens, they are not going to yell "mercy!" after 4 turns. This match will last all 16 turns. At least. The Scarab Beatles are going down swinging.

So tune in for the carnage, friends. If you're into that sort of thing.
tuco

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

And carnage there was, aplenty! This game certainly lived up to Plorg's prediction of one of the "bashiest, fouliest, ruthlessest games ever". Yet somehow, at the end of it, not only had (most of) the Scarab Beatles survived (thank god for regeneration), they had actually won.

My apologies to both Plorg and the spectators for playing annoyingly slow - this was the biggest game I've ever been in and I was kinda nervous.

Plorg was a a totally classy opponent and kept a good, friendly attitude even while suffering a disappointing loss to a worse coach with a worse team.

Now if only my ridunkulous luck can hold up for just one more match...

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2006 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Round 2 update:
In a disheartening upset, Scarab Beatles pulled ahead and defeated Ashes in Round 2.
Scarab Beatles had a strong first half on the defensive, with Ashes trading mummy for mummy on the early fouls.
Turn 7 hightlights some nice dodging and passing action by the Ashes ThroRa,
but a misstep for the BlitzRa receiver left him in range for a 2d block and the TD was lost.

Tied 0-0 at halftime, Scarab Beatles received.
This time the dice favored the Ashes bashing game, as by Turn 4 there were 4 Ashes mummies on the field and 4 Scarab mummies in the dugout.
However, the Scarab skeleton ball carrier (AG 3) was able to dodge consistently out of TZ's for 3 turns to score the TD.
With 3 turns remaining for the Khemri to score, Ashes swarmed forward with skeleton receivers to tie into overtime.
In Turn 8 with 1 reroll left, Ashes started a complicated series of blocks that would leave one receiver free of TZ's for a catch and clear to the end zone without GFI.
Unfortunately, the series of blocks and assist moves did require some GFI, using up the reroll.
The plan failed as the last TZ-clearing blitz fell on his face and Scarab Beatles came through the winner.

To close that story, Ashes and JRB played a post-XFL showdown just for giggles, with JRB coming out on top but with one less mummy.
Ashes has since gone on to the Unranked pastures of FUMBBL Valhalla.

On to the upcoming KKD vs Kauliniai game, KKD is really hurting being one mummy down.
With only 3 mummies and 110k in the bank, KKD has the choice of:
- buying a fresh mummy (then Kauliniai has 4 mummies + Ramtut)
- buying Ramtut (then neither player has Ramtut and Kauliniai has 4 mummies)
So either way KKD is down one mummy, possibly Ramtut.

Plorg's Pick: Kauliniai by 1
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...
KKD came through and crushed Kauliniai in Round 2.
Kauliniai made the tactically questionable move of putting two mummies on the LoS when kicking off to KKD.
In Plorg's experience, this kind of behavior gets your mummies killed.
This game was no exception. By Turn 2, Kauliniai had 2 mummies in their RIP box no regen.
The rest of the game featured lone skeleton ball carriers scrambling away from melees elsewhere on the field.
Being a slow (usually) dodgeless team, Khemri have difficulty disengaging from combat to chase down things like this.

In a suspicious move, neither KKD nor Kauliniai hired Ramtut or spent any treasury for this match.

As for the final, both KKD and Scarab Beatles have the cash to hire Ramtut.
Scarab Beatles is down one mummy and is outnumbered in skeletons as well.
It will be tough to pull off a win against KKD here.

Plorg's Pick: Krush Kill 'n' Destroy by 1
tuco

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2006 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Final match, Scarab Beatles vs. KKD tentatively scheduled for 23:00 bb time (5 PM Eastern US time) today, Friday.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2006 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

In a final that topped off the list of Nuffle-related upsets,
Scarab Beatles defeated Krush Kill 'n' Destroy to win the XFL Khemri 2006.

Some post-tournament stats...

CAS/game: BH/SI/RIP, Fouls per game
Egyptian Corpses: 2/0/1, 3 fpg (1 game)
Junglist Rude Boys: 0/0/0, 1 fpg (1 game)
Ashes: 4/0/1, 11 fpg (1 game)
Pushing is fun: 1/1/1, 0 fpg (1 game)
Kauliniai: 0.5/2.5/0, 4.5 fpg (2 games)
Krush Kill 'n' Destroy: 1.6/1/1, 5 fpg (3 games)
Scarab Beatles: 3.3/1.6/0, 5.3 fpg (3 games)

Congrats to tuco and the Scarab Beatles!
 Jump to: