40 coaches online • Server time: 19:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sinner

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2003 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

thnx to ski we now have the chance to analyze the rolls in the end. If you did that (I did) you will notice that somehow, miracously all d6 rolls nearly are equal in apperances. Ok it says nothing about what the single players rolls were, but it shows clearly that the random number generator IS WORKING. END.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2003 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you check these rolls? I am having a hard time believeing these sdice rolls are this bad. I don't buy into the theory of not rolling dice. If I didn't want to roll dice I would play chess. >Smile
Khaine

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2003 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the log readout of dice at the end but without it being split it seems as though it's not really proving anything.. Without being able to see which team gets which rolls I still feel it's very streaky. This being said after missing almost every block and having 8 of 11 players seriously hurt or killed. I did all of knock 3 players out with a higher TR team. I would be interested in finding out just how the java " Radomizer"? and I use that laughingly in descibing the engine, actually works.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2003 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Khaine wrote:
I like the log readout of dice at the end but without it being split it seems as though it's not really proving anything..

It proves that the distribution of die rolls is correct, which is what it was supposed to show.
Khaine wrote:

Without being able to see which team gets which rolls I still feel it's very streaky.

So are die rolls. Just as you can roll several ones in a row on a die, the randomizer can do the same thing. Random does not mean you will not roll the same number twice in a roll any more than a die roll means that.

Khaine wrote:
I would be interested in finding out just how the java " Radomizer"? and I use that laughingly in descibing the engine, actually works.

As Christer has already said (in this thread) "Find a copy of "The Art of Computer Programming, volume 2" bu Donald Knuth. It describes (among other things) the random number generator used in Java. "

The Finishing Touch
MickeX

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2003 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Khaine wrote:

Without being able to see which team gets which rolls I still feel it's very streaky.

Adding to the psychology argument:

I heard of an experimant where people were to told to make up the results of 100 coin flips, and try to get it as random/convincing as possible.

It was very easy to separate the made up lists from truly random lists - the made up ones very seldom had streaks of say 7. These long streaks are actually very probable when flinging the coin so many times.

MickeX
cataphract

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2003 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

complaining that the random number generators are always giving low rolls is one thing!

but complaining that they decide to give you low rolls and ur opponent high ones is laughable!

hahahahah!

'The dice are coming to get me... they hate me! you can se it in their eyes... those evil... snake eyes'

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Christer,

I realize this post is really old and if you choose to ignore it that is fine or perhaps direct me to a more recent post of this topic.

I would like to ask a couple questions though.

When Java Generates the numbers to be used in the match are they all generated at the beginning of the match. Ex. 6,1,2,5,4,3,4. Etc ... Then are these numbers dished out when they are required? Ex. Making a Throw and/or Dodge. If this is the Case is there a way to have the number generated randomly on the spot when required?

Second question. Are the numbers being transmuted from 6,1,2,4,. Into block dice from this list or is there a second list of numbers being used for the block dice?

What is the input=product of the numbers being transmuted? Ex. 6=Pow 5= Pow/Push 4=Push etc..

If you would reply that would be Awesome. Smile
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

<<<<, readies the shotgun of euthanasia.

What is it with the forums at the moment?
PainState

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

According to Spiro on the old RNG if you started rolling high numbers you wanted to start rolling dice like a fiend, you would not fail...Dont take my word for it...check out Spiro's bio and he will tell you all about it.

I will take Spiro's word on this subject...a 175 page book by some academic snob living in an ivory tower with a over inflated ego to match his RNG, no way man...Spiro FTW!!!!!!

Last edited by PainState on Aug 23, 2011 - 22:45; edited 2 times in total
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Bad necro, and also, does it really matter?

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Some times the necro thread is fun to bash and smash all over again. There are to many analogies to my statement, I will let you decide which one comes to mind for yourself.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Now, on the matter of wich team is the most evil and overpowered ever, it's clearly Necros... see this one zombie rising again.

(btw, there are some useful info in the first page for those that want to know how the algorithm works...but if you don't want to read some pages the closest answer could be 42)
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

necro, lock, old news, RNG is fine.
 Jump to: