34 coaches online • Server time: 11:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sim

Post 16 Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Can something please be done about the dice rolling problem. It seams that every game I have played lately (3 in last 3 days so not a huge amount) has sucked for me totally. In 2 games I managed 2 good plays which saw me score and if those plays had have gone wrong I wouldn't have cared too much because I was risking pass rolls there.

But after that and for the whole of the last game my teams did nothing because my dice sucked and my opponent rolled 6's almost every roll. Half my team went off and I was playing 11 vs 6. I made some blocks rolled some push backs, some pows, some skulls. Didn't get and players off the field except my own.
So now I have lost games that if they were even on the dice stakes should have been draws or wins to me by the way tactics were used. I may have lost because of the way the games went but as it was i was 'screwed by the dice'. Can something please be done about this if it continues I will probably leave because I have better things to do than rolls 1's on electronic dice.
Wichtel

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

HAHAHAHAHA!

This is a joke, isn't it?
Xone

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hope so!

Passes the tissues to Sim Crying or Very sad
veron

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Haha... It's Blood Bowl, dice are involved, sir. Live with it, or go play chess.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Well Sim... these things happen.. dice are crappy and the nuffle strikes on us from time to time..

I'm sure the dice-program works correctly, because it uses the java-buildin random routine, which works real proper. Smile

So all I can say is "Sorry, about your bad luck, but I'm afraid u'll have to get used to it". Rolling Eyes

Cheers, Candlejack

P.S: This topic has been discussed several times in this forum, search for it and read the past posts

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

It's been discussed before because no-one can remember having rolled dice coming up with as many "random" 1-1s. A while back I suggested and end of game stat that should the % of 1-2-3-4-5-6 rolled during the game for each player. Just to see if the computer rolls ARE random.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The number of double 1s and double skulls is certainly not proportionate to it's actual probability.
slyspygb

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

why does everyone persist in bringing up this topic. there is nothing you can compare electronic dice rolls too other than it's own ability to pick a random digit that is then transferd into whichever side of the dice it is assigned to (effectively)
you cannot compare electronic dice rolls to 'real life' dice rolls. EVER. There are so many factors which are taken into consideration when making a 'real life' roll....length of arm.... colour of dice....length of hair...etc.... So what do we say in conclusion. STOP COMPLAINING and stop making stupid high risk moves that are doomed to fail anyway.... it's the spirit of the game to get bogus dice rolls, everyone who has played board games knows that they have a dice at home they refuse to roll because of this. it happens. get over it.
P.S Bum luck SIM. Change your mouse. It must be bad luck !!!
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 19:54
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Find a copy of "The Art of Computer Programming, volume 2" bu Donald Knuth. It describes (among other things) the random number generator used in Java.

-- Christer

Mully wrote:
It's been discussed before because no-one can remember having rolled dice coming up with as many "random" 1-1s. A while back I suggested and end of game stat that should the % of 1-2-3-4-5-6 rolled during the game for each player. Just to see if the computer rolls ARE random.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

does anybody complain about double pows??? NO, but in fact it is a double 6 and if afterwards you pass the armour with a 12 you get 4 times 6 in a row... I hear nobody yelling how improbable this is!

It´s luck guys, get used to it... sometimes your dice suck somtimes they don´t.

PS: Didn´t want to steal your last word here, Christer, but I just had to comment this.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

(Just to make Sinner happy Smile )

My last game all I did was knock the other guy over!! That's just not fair!! How many pows can I roll in a row without a skull!!

Yeah, doesn't quite feel the same as complaining about 1's or skulls...............Smile
grep-v

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2003 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Find a copy of "The Art of Computer Programming, volume 2" bu Donald Knuth. It describes (among other things) the random number generator used in Java.

For completeness:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/java/util/Random.html
(references above mentioned book, section 3.2.1)
For understanding WHAT features a good random number generator must have, there is no other possibility than studying some math books. But there is no magic oder (apparent) bias in the pseudo-RNG used in Java.
ChrisCoyote

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hm - but version 6.3b is really buggy, just regard the 'ball dissapearing'-bug ^^
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 00:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

grep-v wrote:

For understanding WHAT features a good random number generator must have, there is no other possibility than studying some math books. But there is no magic oder (apparent) bias in the pseudo-RNG used in Java.

The book in question has about 175 pages on random numbers. There's a reason it's considered to be the bible of algorithms Smile

-- Christer
Maniac0301

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The random number generator has been in JavaBowl since its inception while there may be bugs with those features added in the more recent patches the generator will be fine and it is random. The program doesn't hate you, the program doesnt want you to lose, the program just does what it is told. Watch your replays, learn how to accomplish the same tasks rolling less dice and learn how to cut your risks as much as possible. This will get you wins.
 Jump to: