24 coaches online • Server time: 02:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lord-Willi

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If i meet with a bunch of Friends to do some Lan-Gaming, is it possible to download the Team-Files, play Offline vs them and later Upload the Result ? I just have one Net-Connection at home and no Router so they don't have www connection !
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never tried that. But it should be possible. Nowhere in the .zip files is the path of the teams saved. So if the teams are the current online versions it should work. But you can play only one game with each team until you have to upload.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Just be reeeeaaal carefull that you don't end up uploading a bunch of wins for your team against all your friends, or your account will end up blocked. You should take a look through the rules section again before you get too far with this.

The Finishing Touch
Force

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Klipp cool down man.

I for one am not interested for 2 (european) cents in your stupid (exaggeration to prove a point) Statistics and Rankings and Divisions and Blah.

The Java Blood Bowl client is incomplete.
It lacks Team Management.

Fumbbl is the missing part to JAva Bowl that makes it a complete Blood Bowl game!

Look man, I really can see your desire to avoid cheating. So here is my suggestion:

Allow Open and Closed FUMBBL Teams. Open is basically with less strict rules, where you can upload LAN, Hotseat, or even Board Games (Match Report Formular), and can play twice in a row or create up to 5 Teams without playing them. Everyone would know that Open is Cheaters Heaven.

The thing you want would be "Closed FUMBBL", which is as restrictive as it gets towards cheating and has this "competitive" aproach with rankings and stuff.

I know this interferes with Fumbbl divisions terminology... I just used it to refer to blizzard's battle net which is not a bad reference actually. As to the Divisions, naming them "Official Rules" and "Experimental Rules" would be more clear...

And please suggesting improvements is not the same a dissing the work so far; Its great so far nevertheless there is always room for improvements and since fumbbl is open for EVERYONE, there are a lot of diffrent playing styles. Mine is certainly not to Own Fummbl Rankings and become the King, but to play blood bowl with friends who live in some place else.
Malthor

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Force, FUMBBL is not OPEN TO EVERYONE.

It is run by Christer and Mr-Klipp who donate their time and hardware. It is a moderated community. So whilst constructive criticisms and suggestions are welcome, at the end of the day, the rules at FUMBBL are determined by the Admins/Moderators using whatever decision making mechanism they choose.

If you don't like it, you are welcome to find another league, or start your own and do all the programming yourself.

As for your preferred playing style, what you describe seems to fit into the Tournament Division. There you can make your teams and play with just your friends or however you like and no one will give a hoot.

M

still disliked all round!
Force

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to FUMBBL
FUMBBL is an online Blood Bowl league open for everyone who wants to join in. As there is no set schedule, you can play whenever you have the time to do so.

If you need help to get started, there is a Getting Started Guide available in the Help Section.

You get the Idea?

Actually i don't intend to get into a discussion with folks like you because it leads to nothing. Read my last post. If you read it with an open mind you get the idea, if not well then not.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Force wrote:
Klipp cool down man.

I for one am not interested for 2 (european) cents in your stupid (exaggeration to prove a point) Statistics and Rankings and Divisions and Blah.

That's fine, no one said you had to participate.
Force wrote:

The Java Blood Bowl client is incomplete.
It lacks Team Management.

This is true, however, this is not what this site is for. If you want to do league managment among a group of friends and not participate in open play and ranking, you are better off using Christer's League Manager tool. It was designed for this purpose and is what this site used to be run off of.
Force wrote:

Look man, I really can see your desire to avoid cheating. So here is my suggestion:

Allow Open and Closed FUMBBL Teams. Open is basically with less strict rules, where you can upload LAN, Hotseat, or even Board Games (Match Report Formular), and can play twice in a row or create up to 5 Teams without playing them. Everyone would know that Open is Cheaters Heaven.

That is not what we are here for. This site is designed to allow people from all across the globe to meet up and play bloodbowl, not to handle league management from peoples closed leagues. It's not the intention of this site to do that, and it's just not going to happen. Again, I refer you to Christers excelent league management software, as this is it's primary purpose.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

If you just want to play bloodbowl with a group of friends there are roster creation programs out there and i am sure there are programs to keep track of league progress as well.

Whats to stop you using those if all you want to do is play your friends, if you are playing your friends you should be using the board game anyway (assuming you are meeting up) People have been managing to play blood bowl leagues for years with their friends without FUMBBL existing, no reason why people can't still do the same.
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Cause they can't live without computer?

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumble, actually, there was an approach to (Java) Blood Bowl without FUMBBL. And it failed. Java Bolw is twice as good with FUMBBL. And I did't say its absolutely not usabel for my puropse - I just suggest something based on the way I use fumbbl.

Right now this community is donminated by people who actually knew Blood Bowl before they discovered Java Bowl; So my feeling is that the points I made will arise more often in the future so you might reconsider.

Also, you all act as if i suggested to take something away from you - I don't. The idea of a competitive ranking and stuff is great - If I had more time I would propably try to get one of those TR300 Teams myself.

All I did is suggesting an addition.

However coming from a community that suffers badly from hacks and cheats let me tell you one thing: the only thing worse than cheats is the suspicion for cheats. If you start to blame hacks for every loss the game looses a lot of appeal. I might be wrong but from what i read in this forums this attitude is starting to gain ground.
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 15:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Force,

FUMBBL's purpose is not to get as many users as possible. If you have bothered to look, JavaBBowl has a license that requires you to own the board game in order to use it (and I totally realize that there are lots of people who don't have a copy). So, the intended audience for FUMBBL is the ones who actually know the game.

The administration of FUMBBL has _never_ allowed cheating to go on without intervention. However, the policy we have is to not go on witch hunts as it's difficult to judge who's right over the net. We _have_ caught lots of people with cheating and have acted on it. In order to keep the witch hunts to a minimum, our policy is to not allow any cheating accusations in the public and instead let people contact us so we can collect the reports.

Creating an "open" system like battle.net and saying "cheaters, play here" is not something we want at this point. We feel that we are in fair control of the cheating at this point and don't want to open it up and let it go ahead unattended.

We are moving to make the client as free from "security holes" as possible. One change that would make it much more secure would be to have a central server run which does all rolls, checks that rules are being followed and saves games in case someone drops. Naturally, it would require a huge effort on SkiJunkie in order to make this possible.

The reason people are jumping on you is due to the way you present your ideas. If you would work a bit on the "attitude" of how you present your ideas, people would be more likely to listen.

Here's some feedback on where you "lost" me, and please take this the right way. I do not mean to bash you down.

First post in this thread from you:

"Klipp cool down man.

I for one am not interested for 2 (european) cents in your stupid (exaggeration to prove a point) Statistics and Rankings and Divisions and Blah."

Right off the bat.. You immediately tell someone he's stupid and that his input is of no consequence. Pretty much states a tone like "I don't care what anyone thinks. I want things to work my way and noone else has a say".

Next post:

"You get the Idea?

Actually i don't intend to get into a discussion with folks like you because it leads to nothing. "

Right.. Here you start off with an insult of people's intelligence. also "folks like you" doesn't really make it any better... This post is completely without any new information. You are just "rules lawyering" and being rude.

The third (and last so far) post from you has a good tone. However, at this point you're pretty much burned by the tone in the previous posts.

Some of the ideas you have have merit and I totally see where you're coming from, but your presentation of the ideas is very unorthodox and you probably lose quite a bit of credibility just because of this. If you did work on this aspect of your posting, you would most likely be taken more seriously.

Again, I want to stress that this isn't meant as an attack on you. I just want to help you get your message across which obviously is not working at the moment.

-- Christer
Force

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Malthor wrote:
If you don't like it, you are welcome to find another league, or start your own and do all the programming yourself.

Attitude? Discussing with "Pople like that" leads nowhere.

Force wrote:

Come on how much more clear can i make myself?

However - i would like to see some things that add to the usability/variety of the system - like hotseat play. The argument of cheating came up and I sugested a way to deal with it.

This already went to far. I don't want to fuel the fire.
Maniac0301

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I do not see the need for Christer/Mr K and the other admins to pay for hardware and bandwidth so that you can play only with your local folks. Fumbbl is so that people can play with other people from all over. This is the strength of the internet and online gaming.

http://trollcave.no-ip.org/LeagueManager/

This link is to the league manager program. It is a great program and it should fulfill all of your local gaming needs. It is easy to follow and will create html rosters for your teams so that they can be used in javabowl.
grep-v

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Force wrote:
Malthor wrote:

Attitude? Discussing with "Pople like that" leads nowhere.

Force, you aren't discussing. A discussion is two or more people argumenting in a reasonable way. I fail to see this in your words. You smack someone and tell him what to do and what you think he is doing wrong. That isn't discussion. For an example see below:

Force wrote:

BTW: exaggeration proves nothing but the fact you aren't capable of arguing. Perhaps you should find another way to express your point of view?

Force wrote:
Come on how much more clear can i make myself?

Well, for a start you could be a bit more polite. Calling someone an idiot doesn't make a feasible discussion opening.

PS: you aren't Toby from TBB, are you?
tgrozow

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

You can also try another league management program. You can download it from the following URL:

http://home.comcast.net/~tgrozow/
 Jump to: