28 coaches online • Server time: 11:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BloodRunners

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to start a league, with me as commish. Past attempts have failed. What do you think should be in a good league. I ask this question so that the league I create will appeal to many people. This is your chance to wish for the perfect league. What do you think? Please post answers in this thread
Gertwise

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that a successful league has scheduled games set within a certain time limit. The best league I've been in had 3 games every 2 weeks, who played who was scheduled, but the coaches had a little leeway on when they played and who they played 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. After the 2 week block, the commish put up team standing, team stats, and individual stats.

Plus there was plenty of smack talk going on in the league forum and after 16 weeks there were a few rivalries as well. I think that that helps keep a league going also.
cusi

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

lots of consistent coaches bloodrunners
you have aroun 20 coaches that will show consistently makes a good league
also helps if there is a diverse team spread
a league of jsut norse, dwarves and zons can get boring pretty damn fast

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 06:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, long term leagues will attract my interest. As well as coaches who are consistant and do not get frsutrated.

A league that has 2 divisions (1 for weaker 1 for powerhouse teams) is also good.

Of course a prize at the end of the season too.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll echo the above sentiments, the main factor in a good league is having coaches who will stick till the end, regardless of how thier team is faring.

Other than that, mainly a good idea, or twist to make the league intersting or different.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest obstacle has been a good nubmer of good coaches. Is this a possible solution?

Run a league in Div T with two divisions. Each coach creates two teams, one for each division. No interdivision play obviously, and also obvious, no coach could enter more than one team into the knockout tourney at the end. We could even get crazy and make one division stunty and the other Open/X.
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

One idea I personally liked and used in a small league is this....
Run a season- play a small season with say 20 coaches or so. Could be brand new or already made teams close in TR.
After the small season, top 8 teams go onto a 8 team double ko tourny. Double ko is fun. Winner gets the Spike! or something. Give out individual awards too for most td's, cas, comp, int whatever. Keeps the coaches whose team sucks, but have one good player interested.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm.. look at Themed Wink Especially the newer version should fit most uses. Don't force your coaches to play to often, but try to keep a smooth speed. And the themes help a lot to keep the coaches attracted to the whole tourney.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a good league should have less than 20 coaches. Start small with a group of maybe 10 coaches that you know will stick around. Then when another season starts you can add new teams into the league. Set up some kind of warning mechanism. give a coach a set amount of time to at least try to schedule a game. If nobody hears from a coach aftera set amount of time send him a pm with a warning, if after another set amount of time you still don't hear from him. Forfiet all the coaches games and remove his team from the league for the next season. Once palyoff starts, use the same thing but reduce the amount of time so the playoff moves faster and coaches that did not make the playoff don't have to wait too long. The idea of the time limit is not forcing someone to play the game, but at least to show that he is trying to schedule the game. As long as the coach is showing he is trying, buy sending PMs to other coaches and commishes, and being online, he is fine. if a coach disappears for a time without explanations, doesn't reply to PM, then start give the warning

I like the minor and major division idea that the TBB has.

One more thing, keep the number of games played each season small, 5 games per season max, so the league keeps moving forward. If it takes too long to win a championship, people will lose interest.
peikko

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that I have noticer running groups with fixed matches is that it would be way easier to announce the timezone most people are in and ask for coaches that are on another side of globe that they can handle playing at weird hours.
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Christers code currently allows only randomly matched teams Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

you know what a good league would be?

a special group for each race (bout 4 or 5 teams per group - so that the 1st round isnĀ“t too boring) and then a final round seeing who is the better bbowl race

that would be kewl. In the final round only the best teams from each race would enter - would gove the winner lotza a bragging rights.
The timezone idea is not bad, as the difficult thing appears to be the setup of matches from ppl that are on New Zealand and Ireland Wink

Asmodai

"Dont open your mind too broad, lest your brains fall out"
gophur

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

what makes a good league is finding coaches who will play on time.
Barash

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Most importand as already pointed out a fine group of coaches who want to commit themselves to play at least one season.
Since coaches leave and want to join a system with primair and secendairy leagues like in the Themed Blood Bowl has is needed to have this league runnig for longer period of time.

I have seen leagues who are on hold for more then 3 weeks now since they had to cope with anoying things like:
* coaches not turning up for a copple of weeks
* coaches quiting after they had one or two bad games (I remember a team with a niggeling Mummy after game 1: coach quited the league)

I'm intrested in a serious long time league, but the commitment of coaches is very important. I'd like to play in a small group of coaches who are motivated to do something serious for a longer period. More coaches involves a higher risk of haveing quiters choaches.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Importantly are good coaches.
We have an *invitational Fumbbl* being set, 20 coaches invite only, basically its based on those of us(not set by an admin, but a player) who have played here for nearly a year, Strong coaches who play for the win, No beardy pile on rsc combos, Dp to a minimum, the league is based on skill, and all coaches are using the favourite team, purely its a hardcore thing(those who like to play) it will be 20 coaches in round robin, if you want to rival this you need to target the right group of players.

Jump to: