31 coaches online • Server time: 08:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Calcium

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

NECRO!

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Try to run shorter "halves" like 4*4 or 4*5. That takes away the prolonged stalling. (I assume league customization makes this possible in the near future.)

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

So that would force everyone to play agile races. 4 turn halves would make it virtually impossible to score vs elves with races like Khemri.

No thanks.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

It limits slow races, not agileless races. Humans, Lizards are not agile teams, but have no problem scoring in 4-5 turns.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Oo me thinks about to necro One of the good old fouling i hate dp cause its Evil Threads !!, 8,5 years someone has to Beat That Smile)
mekutata

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Smess wrote:
But the fans love stalling!

As an alternative houserule, I propose a pitch invasion (old PI rules) when a team doesn't take advantage of a stalling opportunity.

so if a gutterrunner makes a td you roll a dice, and if it is lower than 5 the gutterrunne rgets murdered by rioting fans? interesting..

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I play (vs myself) non stalling rules, and it creates a bias. I have 2 pro elfy teams, that don't have good stealing skills, but nice offensive catchers. Without me playing to them in anyway they always do better than other teams out of the 'non-stalling' rules.

I dislike it as a mechanical fault, but it is fair. It's a bit like 'claws' and the fluff problem they cause. It isn't nice, but better left untouched for now.

I've said before, but I think the best fix for stalling is to play with 3 balls. I have no idea how that would play out with the current ruleset though. Another idea is that you have to run in a TD if you don't have to roll any dice to do so. This would mean coaches would stall just outside of players MA, making T8 stalls risky.
cdwat

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Another idea is that you have to run in a TD if you don't have to roll any dice to do so. This would mean coaches would stall just outside of players MA, making T8 stalls risky.

Interesting, that could actually work.
Automatically score a touchdown if at the start of your turn a player with the ball is within range of scoring without rolling dice.
Can you do anything with the other players?
Does the automatic td happen at the start or end of the turn?

Bio template here.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I play that you can do anything else bar fouling. However I'm playing vs myself so I'm not going to deliberately cause a turn over.

I think it's too open to abuse and that if you played it; it would have to be run it in at the start of the turn. You could then get tactics where your opponent deliberately puts you in a position for scoring, which surely is as bad as the rule it's trying to prevent. Imagine a guy leaving a clear gap to score, and risks everything to blitz your player into a scoring position. Therefore making it mandatory for you to score. That's really ugly.

So as I said, I don't think this is the answer, unless you're playing an all elf or all human league or something like that. Then yeah with the right group it'd be better.
juck101

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

khemri and nurgle cant play for more than 1 or 2 touchdowns.You would be biased against them.

bad idea mate
Aflo

Post   Posted: May 31, 2015 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling's an important part of the game. Learn to love it.
Fabulander

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Aflo wrote:
Stalling's an important part of the game. Learn to love it.

I'm well aware of the futility of my objection, but I really have to disagree. I can learn to accept it, I will learn to use it or attempt to counter it, but I'm not gonna learn to love it.

Viewing BB as a purely abstract exercise of tactics, strategy and management, stalling is definitely a big part of that quite good and fairly well balanced game.

Viewing BB as a sort of fantasy football tabletop simulation, with wacky randomness and elements of role playing weighing against the purely competitive elements, I think stalling is just a sad reality. Counter intuitive tactics like ignoring opportunities to score easily, scoring very very slowly, and allowing or even encouraging the opponent to score should be very rare, and definitely not the norm in that imperfect but otherwise entertaining and colourful game. I can see some slow, stompy gore fests arising from a complete defensive breakdown against some of the more extreme bruiser teams, but these situations should really be the exceptions, IMO.

Since I personally feel most strongly about that second perspective, I consider the obvious advantages of stalling to be glaring proof of a mechanical fault in the simulation, and personally, I cannot learn to love that.

Unfortunately, aside from player culture and self regulation, I also have no idea of what to do about it. Confused In addition to the advantage of the offensive drives, I think stalling stems mostly from the extreme differences between the races and their strategies, and this diversity is something that I am otherwise all for. In other words, I probably wouldn't like any 'anti stalling rules', since such rules should really deal with making the teams more similar. High Elves can't really defend against Khemri without risking extreme casualties, and Khemri can't really afford to give the High Elves two turns to score. With those teams being so different, the offensive team can use their strenghts to dictate the drive and usually score through brute force or extraordinary skill, so variations of clock management and 'encouraging' scores are better options than counting on actual actual defensive play to win you the game. This is sad, but if the alternative is all High Elf og all Khemri leagues, I'll take the colourful, imperfect game any day.

In a way I envy your ability to love stalling, but I'd really still prefer my fantasy football to be a bit more 'realistic', if you can call it that. Smile
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Fabulander wrote:
I will learn to use it or attempt to counter it

Fouling is one way to counter it. It is probably not a great idea against regenerating teams, and you probably need a real bench, but it is a legitimate plan.
Fabulander

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, and a good one too. The very best way is to agree with your opponent on what constitutes a fun game. In my league people very rarely stall, because no one finds it enjoyable to know how the game is going to end after just a few decisive turns. If there is enough time to either stall or possibly score twice, we usually try to score twice, and this has the added benefit of keeping both players in the game, making the game more tense and the experience much more enjoyable, using no house rules at all! That is probably more difficult to achieve in an online setting, though.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Fabulander wrote:
Sure, and a good one too. The very best way is to agree with your opponent on what constitutes a fun game. In my league people very rarely stall, because no one finds it enjoyable to know how the game is going to end after just a few decisive turns. If there is enough time to either stall or possibly score twice, we usually try to score twice, and this has the added benefit of keeping both players in the game, making the game more tense and the experience much more enjoyable, using no house rules at all! That is probably more difficult to achieve in an online setting, though.

For many competitive coaches winning is fun, and stalling is one of the best strategies to win.
Therefore don't expect people will risk to lose a game because they didn't stall.
Every time you kick off the ball after a TD you have to deal with a potential gamebreaking event and 3 free blocks on LOS.
Competitive coaches don't want to lose for random events, when they can simply avoid them through stalling.
Stalling gives you better game control.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %01, %2015 - %15:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: