21 coaches online • Server time: 06:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Harad

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Fabulander wrote:

In a way I envy your ability to love stalling, but I'd really still prefer my fantasy football to be a bit more 'realistic', if you can call it that. Smile

I think it is one of the most realistic parts of the game. Imagine you are an elf. You are weak and fragile. If you score now you know you have 5 minutes of facing up against the hulking black orc over there. If you stall it will be 30 seconds. What do you do?
Fabulander

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka: I would never disagree that stalling is a strong tactic, nor that it is definitely legal, and therefore an obvious and reasonable choice for winning games. My argument is more aesthetic in nature.

Harad: that is spot on, but the fact that these situations arise as often as they do is what I find to be faulty. That elf should usually be running for his life to score before he's hit by the next hulking defender. Overall, and as I said before, the combination of offensive advantage and very different team strengths is what makes stalling so good, making counter intuitive plays unrealistically common. Defensive play is something that is given up too easily, or just faked to force a score. Offense is often assumed to succeed, so clock management becomes the bigger part of the game. This is very subjective, but I find this clock-game to be a little less satisfying. Fortunately, it's not a problem when playing opponents who feel the same way.
Harad

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with your point if they just lobbed it to someone in the open but elves are smart and know that they have to come up with something more sophisticated to live. I think the problem with our intuition is that we are used to seeing American Football and extrapolate to what Blood Bowl would be like.

It's like watching boxing and extrapolating to a real fight.

Blood Bowl would be such a dangerous game that people would go to extraordinary lengths to give themselves a greater chance of survival and take on tactics which would seem very at odds with what one sees in American Football.

Yes, I know it's bizarre arguing about the mindsets of non-existent people in a fantasy game Smile
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

You guys do realize this is a thread from 2006, right?
Harad

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I do. I was busy then.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
I do. I was busy then.

So then you realize that you are only the tool of Calciums pointless attempts to troll us with something nobody cares about anymore?
Fabulander

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
Yes, I know it's bizarre arguing about the mindsets of non-existent people in a fantasy game Smile

Very Happy Yes! Though, weirdly, it's not really very difficult.

I suppose anyone could argue for any particular version of a fantasy game being realistic, using only their own imagination as reference. In this case, maybe it's more about whether or not the rhythm and dynamics of the game 'feel' realistic than anything else, and whether 3-4 turns of overt stalling in every other game is the desired fantasy football experience or not. The game is what it is, but I can certainly sympathize with those who wish it were different in this regard.

Wreckage: Yup.

EDIT: I actually don't watch a lot of american football. My imagining of what BB might be like IRL is based far more on fantasy RPGs, a good deal of Warhammer back in the day and a general interest in dramatic and narrative elements in competitive gaming. I massively prefer BB to, for example, Warhammer because it is more dramatic, with each dice roll representing possible disaster or success, and with the representation of relative player abilities seeming more 'realistic' to me. My issue with stalling isn't that it happens at all, but that it happens a lot, and that it often makes individual games progress quite similarly. This takes a lot away from the dramatic and narrative aspect of BB, although it does not, in any way, make the game any less challenging or tactically interesting.

Last edited by Fabulander on %b %01, %2015 - %17:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Harad

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Harad wrote:
I do. I was busy then.

So then you realize that you are only the tool of Calciums pointless attempts to troll us with something nobody cares about anymore?

I hadn't engaged with that. I merely saw a point (not one by Calcium) which piqued my interest where I had a slightly different view which I thought might be interesting to the other party and also for egotistical reasons wanted to share.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3689257

Stalling takes skill and a bit of luck. Tmoila will teach.
pubstar

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Oh my god the ridiculous laziness of that team name Shocked

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Making a lot of unnecessary passes, especially in risky spots (for example adjacent to the sidelines), is not an advisable practice during stalling.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

Making a lot of unnecessary passes, especially in risky spots (for example adjacent to the sidelines), is not an advisable practice during stalling.

inadvisable and totally awesome.
Aflo

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Ha! Nice replay.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 17:39
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

In the interest of fairness, Calcium was only commenting on the Necro. It was bumped the page before. It also doesn't look like a trolling attempt Smile
Wizfall

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling is the game and is challenging, very tactical.
It bothers me in one situation though: when you are the bash (or more bashy) team vs agility and the agility team is leading 1/0 at the start of second half (and kicking).
Stalling for the draw because you feel giving back the ball to agility team would be a bad idea, while it may be sometimes challenging, is not exciting at all.
Unless you cas a lot you have no interest to score early, a bit disheartening IMO.
Or i should learn to play better hehe.
 Jump to: