27 coaches online • Server time: 03:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KingKurt

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to set up a group in unranked, but it is technically more than a normal group.
As I am lost when it comes to programming I would need one ore more people who like my idea and are capable of realizing it.

So here is my idea:

1. I would like to play in a group with random match ups
I don't have the time to play tournaments normally and still like the thrill tournaments give. Tournaments are popular and so would this division be I suppose.

The plan is the following:
Set up a group (working name: Auto gamefinder group) where all coaches that want to take part, have to aply with a new team.
This team is not allowed to play other games.

Whenever a coach is looking for a game in this group, he would have to insert it in the automated gamefinder.
The automated gamefinder would then inform him, if there is another coach with a TS +-10 of his team looking for a game.
If not, he can withdraw his team from auto gamefinder or wait, if somebody joins.
If a game is found, the auto gamefinder should start the game automatically, with no option to change teams, drop money or buy additional stars or wiz. All game preparations have to be made before the team applies at auto gamefinder, at that stage people are free to hire anything they want.

These are the rules and adittional ideas that would have to be implemented:

1. The teams should be chosen only within a range of +- 10 TS, in the beginning.
2. I like the idea, that if there are different games in option for your team, the gamefinder chooses the race you have not played against for the longest time with this team.
3. One of the main arguments against this group will be, that it will be a very bashy group, and that TR and TS are not accurate or fair.
Therefore we should experiment with modifying the auto gamefinding procedure. My first idea would be to find a formula that keeps track of the results between races. The more often a race wins against a specific other race, the more should the difference in TS be changed between that races, when auto connecting.
An example, if chaos:skryre slaves win ratio would be 10:1, a chaos team would apply for a game, gamefinder would only take into account skryre slaves teams with TS +19/-1 to the chaos team.
If we develope this track keeping and adjust the gamefinder partly automatic and if things don't run smooth change the criteria for auto gamefinder we could get more and more fair match ups on the long term.

4. There are several ways to stimulate people to play smart for winning the games.
My suggestions would be: Championship standings for this group. All Time and monthly. Also single championship standings for each race, eg. best flings, best Lizardmen etc. Titles received monthly and yearly can be shown in the team bio.

5. This division would deliver the best statistical data, on how the races are balanced and if TR and TS systems are accurate or have to be modified. All other statistics are nearly worthless as long as players pick there opponents.

So let's see, if somebody capable likes my ideas.

With best regards,

King Kurt
def909

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds very interesting... I´m not capable of doing the programming, but I´d sure like to play in this group...

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

like the idea.

2 suggestions, could you add tr/ts best match otherwise any beaten up teams could find themsleves destroyed and could it be open from the start. I have loads of unranked teams started for tr100 tournements with nowhere to go.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Would you not also need some way to prevent people playing the same opponent all the time if they were regulars on it?
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting ideas (and better thought out than these suggestions often are), but … AFAIK, Christer doesn't allow other people to code on his site. You wouldn't just need to create your own group to do this, I think, you'd need your own site entirely.

Edit: And this thread seems to be in the wrong forum.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

tadgoraucymru wrote:
like the idea.

2 suggestions, could you add tr/ts best match otherwise any beaten up teams could find themsleves destroyed and could it be open from the start. I have loads of unranked teams started for tr100 tournements with nowhere to go.

I don't really understand the first part of your question.
I don't want to include TR in the gamefinding as TS is better to find even games and also we will have more often handicaps in that way.
a 'destroyed' or beaten up team would surely drop so much in TS that you will either meet other beaten up teams, or not so much experienced teams or even fresh stunty teams ( if you got beaten up severely).

The first phase would be a playtesting phase where we could only allow new teams I guess. Later on we can think of accepting all unranked teams below 100 TS.
KingKurt

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Interesting ideas (and better thought out than these suggestions often are), but … AFAIK, Christer doesn't allow other people to code on his site. You wouldn't just need to create your own group to do this, I think, you'd need your own site entirely.

Edit: And this thread seems to be in the wrong forum.

Hi pac, thanks for your warm words.
We could use the resources we find here and just use another website for the auto gamefinder. But still the results and teams could be part of fumbbl I think.
On the long term, if we would be succesfull, I think maybee Christer could open an auto match up division.

But I can't ask him to code that now, as he has enough stuff to do anyhow.

Where would you think the thread would belong to?
I thought the capable people look around here most often possibly?
KingKurt

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:
Would you not also need some way to prevent people playing the same opponent all the time if they were regulars on it?

True, it should not be possible to play the same opponent more then let's say every five games.

Furthermore it should not be possible to see, which teams and coaches are inside the group and active actually, just how many teams, which races, which TR/TS are in the group , and how many coaches are currently LFG.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

tadgoraucymru wrote:
like the idea.

Bring those teams over to K League Smile

Still some places open.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Kurt, you always have such good ideas. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

KingKurt wrote:
We could use the resources we find here and just use another website for the auto gamefinder. But still the results and teams could be part of fumbbl I think.

The automatic starting up of matches sounds very difficult to achieve in conjunction with FUMBBL without modification of FUMBBL.

Quote:
Where would you think the thread would belong to?
I thought the capable people look around here most often possibly?

Well, this is the forum for customisation of the JBB client - ie, mostly sounds and icons, etc. This sounds like it belongs in the FUMBBL 'Ideas and Bug Reports' forum. But I'm sure people will find it here even so.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2006 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like a fine idea for exciting blind date matches. It would be a very competitive way to play JBB.
I'd rather suggest a neuronal net for elaborating the race vs race statistics.
The automatic generation of fixtures is very appealing.
It would be ideal if the expected chances for both sides were 50% at match start.

KingKurt

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2006 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:

The automatic starting up of matches sounds very difficult to achieve in conjunction with FUMBBL without modification of FUMBBL.

That's why we need somebody skillfull who is really capable of judging that.

From my point of view it shouldn't be to difficult.
The fumbbl site allows us to start the games from our external PCs.
Therefore we would only need an external website and a script, that does exactly what the coaches are doing when starting a game.
No modifications in fumbbl will be necessary I hope.
KingKurt

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2006 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:

It would be ideal if the expected chances for both sides were 50% at match start.

It will be an aim to improve the algorithm steadily, so that on the long term we get most of the time good matchups.

At least it will allways move in that direction, but 50/50 chances you won't even get on new vreated teams of the same race, if the coaches decide for different starting rosters.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2006 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

KingKurt wrote:
vanGorn wrote:

It will be an aim to improve the algorithm steadily, so that on the long term we get most of the time good matchups.

At least it will allways move in that direction, but 50/50 chances you won't even get on new vreated teams of the same race, if the coaches decide for different starting rosters.

Right. Ideal meant the target to aim for. With a margin up to 53/47 or the like, there will probably be good chances to find a match without waiting forever.

Jump to: