31 coaches online • Server time: 18:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2003 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

*** Let's Stir the Pot ***

I found it odd that 6 of the top open teams are all Wood Elves yet none of them made it far in the FUMBBL cup. Then I realized why ..... these teams are good at dodging. Dodging tough opponents that is !!!!! The almighty Dwarf team, skilled in the art of tackle is curiously missing from the match reports. In fact, the top 3 teams have only faced dwarves 3 out of 213 games (<1.5%). Only Trad and Orelhudas da Floresat have had the nads to play the longbeards on a consistent basis. So before you all go prancing through the forest with your heads held high, try looking down once at the furry fellows you've been dodging around and challenge them to a game for once !!!!

Signed - Dwarf Miner's Union #187

(PS - I'm gonna have my woodies find some Dwarf meat right now)
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2003 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

hrm. you sure about those numbers? I could've sworn I faced three Dwarven teams with "Berek's Boys"...

Out of 51 games, sure, which is low, but still.
They've faced 0 flings, amazons, Norse and, admittedly, Chaos Dwarves, which are , I suppose, a sort of dwarves.
They've only faced one Woodelf team and just two dark elf teams and lizards.

So I'd hardly call the Dwarves missing from my match reports! they're better represented then other races, I can't help it if there are so many more orcs and humans prancing about...

If you're insinuating that the boys are a discriminatory bunch of the speciest kind, then I demand an apology! that's simply not true, they avoid excessive tacklers/dirty players/piling oners whatever may be their species. thingie Smile

As for the fumbbl cup, "Berek's Boys" didn't participate for two reasons, neither of which has anything to do with speciesm of any kind.
1) I'm not overly fond of tournaments as a coach.
2) I believe they had about 8 players and a TR around the 150 when the cup opened, hardly enough, in my view, to participate in such a prestigious event.

So there Wink
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2003 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

the fact you can view teams past match record and also the chart showing if the spread of tr differences in those matches allows you to properly judge how good a team/coach is, if they are constantly avoiding certain races then that shows something and also if they are constantly playing lower rated teams

numbers and statistics are only as good as the people who are looking at them
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2003 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbler - please don't take these seriously. I'm trying to get a rise from our pointed eared fairy friends. But as a serious response to your TR comment. I don't think you can put TOO much stock in the TR ratings without knowing what the corresponding STR ratings are. I was recently challenged by 2 teams with similar TR but much lower STR due to MNG and nigglers. I easily handled them both and my match report makes it appear like a very even match. But I felt going in I had a 65% chance of winning. ( in my defense I was the one that was challenged and I did ask "are you sure" before hosting the game Smile) )

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2003 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Why are people afraid of dwarfs? And pilling on and Dirty player and so on... It’s part of the bleeding game. I have a Dwarf team and one (1!) pilling on and some coaches are afraid to play them. It’s ridicules. One turners and razor sharp fangs is part of the game and you know, it is a GAME!
Some even try to use dirty player to kill the players they don´t like fore having the wrong abilities. If you think the rules are bad stop playing the game or try to get in to your brain that your running team is so damn good and there have to be some sort of balances to it. The same moment they stop with PO and RSF they have to stop ag 4 elf’s. Well why not in the end all of us play human teams.
cusi

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2003 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="avslagen"]Why are people afraid of dwarfs? And pilling on and Dirty player and so on... It’s part of the bleeding game. I have a Dwarf team and one (1!) pilling on and some coaches are afraid to play them. It’s ridicules. One turners and razor sharp fangs is part of the game and you know, it is a GAME!
quote]
using your own quote it is a game and if people dont want to play a team that has 6 po guys and a cas avg of 5.9 a game that shouldnt bother you.
because its a game and played for fun and if people dont have fun watching their team get destroyed by a coach that looks at the ball and the win as a secondary objective to mauling therr team into retirment you should look at your own words and not give them poop for declining the team.

p.s. if chaos dwarves count as dwarves my high elves have had their share of matches against that race of dwarf
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2003 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

dang, and this all started so nicely tongue in cheek, I thought..
Sinner

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2003 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

well just one example: my top darkies (not anymore though) played deathgerbils chaos team (some know them by reputation)... well I won.

after this match I got greedy and played Trappy´s chaos (about the same but w/o str6 PO warrior Wink)... i got reduced from 270+ to 180+ rating!!!

What did I learn, I ask you??? Hehe, nothing you might say. I would play them again, that´s what my darkies are for (they are out of ranking, opted them out as it was possible), to play others for fun. To see where you are, where you stand, to compete. I accept that coaches don´t play PO/ RSC/ Claw/ Mighty Blow pumped teams, but they never know if they are able to compete with them. Bloodbowl is a game where you try to best the opposing coach with either skill, cunning or bloodshed (some use all of them as I do myself). I try to get some fun out of it and, comming back to my example, I even enjoyed getting beaten to pulp by Trappy. It was a hard fight, but I nearly managed a win, with 5 (five!!!) elves against his 11 chaos on the pitch. It was my favourite darkies team, but they are recovering and will return to old strength.

Of course it is sad to see ones stars die, but as I said in some other threads before, new stars will emerge and carry on.

Just my opinion. Don´t get me wrong even if it looks like I might be a bit masochistic to see my teams die. I am not. I like my teams, especially their stars, but what I like most, is a good game against an able coach and that´s the reason why I play on fumbbl.

good night, good fight.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Bendrig - yeah but it's funny how PO gets swept into the forum no matter what the original topic.

Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner, you're right on the money. Bravo! Very Happy

Elves are by farthe most dominant and successful teams. The price you pay for not losing turns just trying to pick up the bloody ball, for being able to run through your opponents' net of Tackle Zones like his players weren't even there, is that those less teams less generously allocated ball handling skills will try to beat the living snot out of you! If they didn't make use of their talents, they'd be just plain worse and nobody would have any reason to not coach Elf teams.

I know it's a tired justification for mindless violence, but we are playing Blood Bowl! Read the LRB, it's filled with stories of whole teams getting eaten by their opponents, cheating players with vicious and ridiculously obvious 'secret' weapons, all sorts of brutal violence.

I love my players, as I'm sure the rest of you do too. I sometimes get a lump in my throat as I watch my inhuman, metalclad, beastlike opponents take the field with nothing but myself and death in their eyes. So long as my opponent makes an effort to actually play the ball though, I don't care how predisposed his team seems to be to acts of shocking violence.

Anyway, this is longer than it was intended. I think Elves are unjustly powerful and have no excuse to be scared of anyone. Coaches who's only joy is in Piling all their players on top of their opponents need to reassess their ideas of fun.
Actually playing the ball is by far the most fun part of the game. Anyone can roll a 2 block dice and add +5 to an armour roll... it wears off pretty quick in my opinion...

-Trav

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Korkrest

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny thought, most dwarf team players throw out words like "your afraid" and such nonsense, now being an all around player (with an exception being dwarf teams) id have to argue the logic in that statement. When i play elves/human teams i have no preferance really, id just aswell play chaos as i would play woodelfs. There is one little thing tho, one little criteria i look for in a team, does the team "play ball"?. More then 1 pileon=not likely a ball player. The only way you can see if a team plays ball or not is by looking at which skills the opponents has on his team, some coaches will get unfairly judged by this, but it is the only bit of information available short of looking thru his last 5 matches on replay. Now back to this elves vs dwafs chat, i generally dont play dwarfs, and admit it freely, they simply make for matches of legendary boredom. A dwarf coach rarely does the passing play, and even when he does it isnt really a fair match since none of the dwarfs can run fast enough to cover the ball catcher, boxing is the only way, sloooow moving box.

Just my 5 cents, I have no grudge against dwarf teams, i merely want to have a good time when i play bloodbowl, not waste 1.30hours clicking block or wait on a 4turn touchdown delay.
Maniac0301

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

My only problems are with those coaches that don't want to play ball. I watched a replay of a team about a week ago. He had 70%+ luck his opponent was in the 40's for luck. His opponent won because the other player didnt care what happened to the ball he just wanted his two PO mummies to hurt people. If I see a chaos team with 6 mutations and they are all RSC I know they arent there to play ball. If they were there would be a Big Hand Guy or maybe a blodging runner. I agree that dorfs arent much fun to play. It seems like slow moving line of block, tackle, guard, and mighty blow. There is very little to do as a dwarf coach other than hit some people and move two steps forward. Since all the dwarfs look the same I would think that the team has very little personality. The same may apply to Amazons tho with the 'zons the AV 7 might atleast force them to come up with interesting strategic solutions as they lose a couple players.
Trappy

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

You have to admit Sinner, the outcome of our match was more down to luck than skill choices. The first two turns were yours, had the luck stayed normal you would have continued to run rings around my boys. As you said, you even nearly managed to score late in the game when my passer fumbbled his quick pass. Within 3 moves the ball was 5 sqaures from my endzone! You all seem to agree that a chaos team without ball handlers is definately geared towards fighting. I personally dont assign ball handling skills in my chaos team as they will become a target or get a niggle and become useless. With move-6 and ag-3, beastmen are able to score or pass quite well with team re-rolls without giving them extra skills. I have two players dedicated to hurting others, a Chaos Warrior and my Minotaur. A beastman woth po (no rsc) as a sort of interceptor near the back to stop and stun runners or catchers and one beastman with surehand, pass. The rest are linemen that will score if they get the opportunity.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

As I wrote above Trappy, I really enjoyed our match, cause it was a close game and a hard fight... and you wanted to win, not only hurt me (even if hurting me is part of the strategy). The only thing that annoyed me was the cas stats of 1/5/3 for your team plus my Blitzer that leaped into the coffin ((6,5)+0,(6,4)+0,6 Denderizu has been KILLED!). should have been 5/3/1 but I´m not complaining. It´s a game it happens and if they die getting blocked by some chaos warrior or mino, what the heck they deserved it, hell yeah!

Very Happy

Cheers

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It's quite a good point though, without tossing acusations about who may or may not be doing it, it's a fairly clear fact that if coach a plays an elf team against all comers and coach b picks and chooses games against purely non bashy teams, coach b's team will end up with far more skills and less injuries per player due to simple lack of attrition. Unfortunaly, when you have an open system you really can't get around this sort of game manipulation.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: