47 coaches online • Server time: 17:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
robofreem

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have to agree with the previous statement that was made about dwarves being boring. It's not just dwarves either. Big smashy teams that don't handle the ball are just plain BORING to play against. This is, I believe, a result of my own preference for elves, and the fast-wheeling style of play that they engender. Frankly, I get impatient if I have to sit around for an hour and a half because each turn take 15 minutes as my opponent manuevres his players to smoke me into the box some more.

I know that is what these teams are supposed to do, I.E. intentionally take longer to score, move the ball one square at a time, etc. etc. I'm not afraid of getting my ass kicked, that's part of the game, etc. either. But i'd sooner play a really good Wood Elf as he runs circles around me than a good Chaos player that moves at the speed of demonic molasses.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2003 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

can't get around it but its there for everyone to see how lame they are in their match record
Maniac0301

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2003 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm here's an example of an exceptional team dodger.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=9036

I must admit though that my Woodies don't play alot of str teams. I would if someone asked but I get challenged quite a bit more by agility teams.
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2003 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

What a bunch of pusses !!!!

Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2003 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Maniac0301 wrote:
Hmm here's an example of an exceptional team dodger.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=9036

I must admit though that my Woodies don't play alot of str teams. I would if someone asked but I get challenged quite a bit more by agility teams.

I can easily post some links about Bashy team playing only Elves or ska ...
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2003 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
*** Let's Stir the Pot ***

I found it odd that 6 of the top open teams are all Wood Elves yet none of them made it far in the FUMBBL cup.

Don't be silly. Woodies are simply not competitive at such a high TR in such a tournament. Wink
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2003 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree Klipp, that is why the GOOD coaches here go into large toury's like FUMBBL. Put up or shut up with your coach ranking by taking a shot against the best teams and coaches. I was dissapointed some of the 'top' coaches avoinded the Fumbbl Cup b/c they didnt want to play deathgerbils chaos or another good team/coach.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2003 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to reply to robofreem:
Quote:

I know that is what these teams are supposed to do, I.E. intentionally take longer to score, move the ball one square at a time, etc. etc.

Yes, that is one way to play a dwarf team, another way is to try to do a quick TD and then grab the ball from the opponent and score again... I even have a passer couse that will help me score quicker TD's...

I don't think dwarves are boring, just different from the elven teams. In RL I have a WE team that I have played alot. This is fun to some extent but I want to variation and I found that with the dwarves. And if you look at my open dwarf team you will see that the bashy teams are in a lead among my opponents. Yes, playing dwarf vs. dwarf might not be the funniest of games, but I play them never the less. I have noticed that many coaches just refuse to play dwarves because that is "boring", I have even got the comment "Are you stupid?" when asking for a game. Well, I can't force ya, but when we meet in Tournament play and I beat the crap out of you (beat, not foul) because you're not used to play dwarves then, well... your loss.

Finally - Kudos to the coach who wanted to enter "The Beerded Bowl" with an Amazon team...

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2003 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

My question is this, why do the Dwarves play different from other strength teams?

Sure someone will say they are slow, are they slower than CD? No, yet I have seen plenty of them around...

Do Orcs really, play that differently? Do Undead play differently?

When you get down to it, there are three different types of teams, bashy, agility, and bagile (Human) teams. People just get upset that a dwarf team gets a slew of skills to begin with, and it is tough to beat them when you play their game. There are a few reasons for that:

1) Their longbeards and dwarf slayers are not going to get a slew of SPPs.
2) Their players are more expensive than other bashy teams.
3) They do not have any players with above average strength.

I say we need more dwarf teams! Do not discriminate against your bearded friends!
InkRose

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2003 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to prove that there is such a thing as ball handling dwarves:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=19360

It was nice to score two defense TDs against a skaven team in the first half of the dwarves' second game. =)

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2003 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Warhammer: Dwarves play differently for a couple reasons. First they move slow so they really have no choice but to stick together. Second the lineman start with block and tackle. Third the linemen also have access to str skills which many do not. Since they already have block and tackle they will almost all have guard. After that they get mighty blow. Fourth with their high AV they generally stay around long enough to grab some skills and since they have that High AV / Thick Skull they are rarely removed from the game. The only real flavor for the dwarf team are thier runners Most people play thier blitzers like fast longbeards and troll slayers are just longbeards with frenzy that can hit big guys.

I'll play a dwarf team that challenges mine anytime but thats me for the most part I will play any team within a reasonably amount of str of mine. Assuming that team is there to play ball.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2003 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding ball-playing dwarves:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=11715
My first try at dwarves. Note the TD and CAS after 8 games.

(+6 and -3, for those too lazy to check)

They're retired now because I got bored with them. Too hard to pull off big plays, it seems, and that's the part I enjoy.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2003 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, choice is important ... makes the pleasure of playing all the greater. No game in the open league is started without both parties choosing to play!

Coming back to the original point, though, as much as I love elves ... got two teams of 'em myself ... I think Orcs have far more potential to be dominant ... and that's over every other open team race. I think the orc coaches just have to pull their fingers out and start proving themselves ... doesn't matter who they play. I'd like to see more orc teams in the top ten ranking. Let's prove the WE's wrong through example. Let 'em play whoever they want. If you chose your skills right as an orc team you'll get lots of games and still pump the poop out of any team (as poop II would say).

GO ORC POWER!!! (ps - love your work CALLO ... living example of what an orc team can do)
 Jump to: