37 coaches online • Server time: 14:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are you concerned about Global Warming?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 32 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 48

Wizard

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2006 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

So after watching Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" is anyone still going to waste there time here?
If your an American, i strongly suggest you go to here asap
Oh, and look up Alex Jones on YouTube and start downloading a Movie called Police State over Bit Torent - its for you to understand how hard change is going to be. Don't believe anything he says, look it all up yourself after listening to what he has to say.

All of the doubters obviously havn't read anything or looked at any measurments taken, or when the look at the graphs and measurments don't bother to absorb and think about the information.

People also used to think that the earth was flat, but there are not many that think like that anymore.
Climate change will be the same, and those doubters out there will find themselves in the minority soon.

Those that bother to look at the science and match the trends to temperature rise will be surprised.

The movie is not a movie at all - its just Al Gore presenting a slide show of facts - its very dry, but it will educate you. Decide wether it was worth it AFTER you see it.

And as for wether or not its real - no Scientists report (out of 928) have contradicted each other about this - its only the mass media that questions wether or not its a problem. Do some research for yourself, and you'll be surprised.

This indicates that we have put more C02 into the air than has ever been in the air in the last 400,000 years. The information is taken from oxygen isotopes that are stored in ice cores. Effcetivley its a diary for the earths atmosphere conditions.

This image represents a sharp incline the amount of Co2 that the earth breathes in and out each season, notice the contstant upward trend. Recordings only started in 1960 - the reason it goes up and down is because in the northern hemisphere spring/summer the trees breath in the Co2 and in winter and fall the trees breath it back out into the atmosphere.

Housing and Cars are mostly responsible for this trend

This corolates the trends in C02 in the atmosphere compared with temperature - its clear to see the 2 are linked

Last edited by Wizard on %b %21, %2006 - %17:%Sep; edited 7 times in total
Zingr

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Question

Nighteye

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Is that movie worth seeing anyways? When i saw the poster i thought it was just another disaster movie to earn the SF studios some more dollars. Was a bit surprised to see All Gore there.

But anyway, i dont need Al to tell me the climate is going haywire.

I can recommend looking up a phenomenon known as Global Dimming, not something i had hear about until about a month ago, and the program freaked me out when isaw it.
Daft

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Does Al Gore have any credibility? Bwahhh
haaaa hahhhaaa.

You're killing me here. Once I die laughing, I'll quit driving.

Bwhhh....AlGore....nice joke.

Man influenced global warming is the biggest fraud and scare mongering of this century.

Go buy a Seguey. Tell me does Eco Al do all his meetings by teleconference in order to set a good example and show how sincere he is? I did not think so. He charters a private jet, and in one trip does more "harm" to the atmosphere than most of us will do in years.

What a joke.

Heee...heee...hhhaaaa...Al Gore...I'll have to remember that when I need a chuckle.
GuitarHero

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The crux of the whole global warming thing is that over the past 100 years the earths temperature has gone up 1.8 degrees. That is if you think tempurature readings were accurate from 1906. In any case, anyone who has studied Geology, or more specifically the Geologican Time Scale, knows that the Earth's climate is cyclical. Just like the economy, it goes up, peaks, quickly redeeds, and starts climbing again. I'm not sure what information Gore presented, but the reality is, if history repeats itself, we are actually do for another ice age. It won't happen tomorrow, but thats whats next on Calander for Earth in the long run. 1.8 degrees really isn't anything to truly worry about. I'm not ignorant to the fact that there is some foundation to the Green House effect, but as with most things, the argument is biased to the information they choose to present. I remember the sun being hot when I was a kid, and guess what, the sun is still hot. Nothing new there. I'm sure people in The Dust Bowl in the 1930's didnt think 'Gee, this must be global warming', but perhaps that it just hasn't rained in awhile. Global Warming has become the scapegoat for every concievable problem with the environment. They have one psuedo-fact: The temperatue has (possibly) risen 1.8 degrees in the last century, everything else is just speculation. You could blame human pollution, and that may be the case, but in the last twenty years, our awareness of pollution, and its effects has risen, just as our concerns. So with the programs, laws, and legislations being passed through out the world, I say for once we pat our selves on the back for trying to take steps towards saving this little blue-green rock we live on, and for making it a place we would WANT to live on, given the choice of elsewhwere.
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Daft wrote:
Man influenced global warming is the biggest fraud and scare mongering of this century.

Hahaha. Well i guess you need to live up to your coachname.
quickie

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm... is there a correlation between coachrating and take care about global warming? Wink
Daft

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Nighteye, is that the best you can do. A personal attack based on an on screen name. Bright fellow you are over there. I'll tell you what just to show how daft I am, I'll produce a serious post just to explain how all of your gullible folks are being taken by this worthless junk science hype.

See, the fact of the matter is that the squeeky wheel gets the oil. Some climatologist at some university figured that out a while back. Normally, weather study is about as exciting as watching paint dry, and we all know how accurate every local weatherman is known to be. It is no doubt that 20-30 years ago, climatoligists were having a problem being funded at universities.

That is when they struck upon a solution to their financial woes. If only there were a problem they could proport to solve. Then they would get govenrment funding and could live off that cash cow for a while. Yet, when dealing with the weather, what problem can you produce and attempt to solve? It's not like man causes hurricanes, torrnados, droughts, earthquakes, and rough winters.

After a few more minutes of thinking somone figured it out. If we say man causes these problems, or at least that man can fix them, the money will flow again. Thats when the idea of global cooling appeared. I read all about that in the mid 80's.

Soon, things are going well again. Money is flowing and may is striving to stop global cooling to prevent the next ice age. Until someone pointed out a stubborn fact. The earth's temperature was rising slowly. The response was blatantly python like as academia shouted, "That's exactly what we meant it's global warming you fools. Now give us more funding to stop it."

Guitar hero is exactly right. The climate is changing, and these things go in cycles. Yet man has very little to do with the issue. Did you know that one minor volcanic eruption produces more greenhouse gasses than man does each year (it may be 10 years)? That alone means if we get just one more volcano than average in a year mother nature has done more damage to herself than we have.

As every big business hating ecofreak will tell you, it's all about the money. Follow the cash trail and you will get to the root of everything. Tree hugging is a big business these days and it is funded by the government. If there is no big scare, the funding dries up.

Now then Nighteye, I don't know exactly why I went through the trouble to type this. I really don't mind if you continue to think the sky is falling. I just wish my government spent less time and money worring about this red herring.

Do you have any contributions to make other than a quip about a chosen screen name. I know that environmentalism is a religion to many folks, and thmy comments are heresy to those folks, but I do my best to be politically incorrect when ever possible.

Until your reply, I bid you good day.
Zingr

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

quickie wrote:
hmm... is there a correlation between coachrating and take care about global warming? Wink

No- sorry.
Astarael

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Daft,can I have your answer to life, the universe and everything?

200,000 word essay to be on my desk by Thursday. There's a good lad.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, environmentally speaking, damage is done by individuals much more than companies, as there are no regulations on pesticide use on your lawn, or clean-burning lawn mowers.

The fact that global warming and cooling have occured in history in no way contradicts the idea that people are causing it in an accelerated and potentially harmful way. It just means it can happen without us.

Equating Climatology with the local weatherman is akin to equating a zoologist with the guy who cleans the camel cage. Using such a ridiculous analogy to introduce your totally un-supported "fact" that this "scare" is a purposefully generated lie to gain cash for certain individuals does produce credibility doubts.

Since there is no specific location, time or individual attached to the accusation, and your scientific back-up evidence is talking about volcanoes, rather than the emissions people like Gore believe are harmful, one is nearly forced to assume that your opinions are at least as reactionary as the previous, and merely motivated from a deep-set believe that those who treat environmetalism as a religion are wrong, therefore any arguments that appear to be coming from that camp must be as well.

Now then, Daft, I don't know exactly why I went through the trouble to type this. I really don't mind if you continue to blast all opposing view-points with illogical rants. I just wish that individuals spent less time trying to sound smart, and more time educating themselves on the basics of logic and argumentation.

Do you have any contributions to make that include measurable facts of any sort? I know that individualism is the primary religion of the Western world, and my disrespect for your opinion is heresy to those folks, but I do my best to find actual truth whenever possible.

Until your reply, I bid you good day.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to clear the slate...

Global Warming started 10,000 years ago, when prehistoric man started cutting down trees to open up agricultural space for farming. By cutting down the trees, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere increased, which slowly had an effect on the global temperature.

according to nasa scientists, Mars last year started coming out of an ice age, and they had some kewl photos of a reddish white mars (whether u believe it or not is up to you). this indicates that the rest of the solar system has had fluctuation in temprature, whereas we have been safe due to global warming... there was also a year, somewhere around 1640 if i recall correctly, where the river thames froze over in November, and didn't thaw till mid-spring. the temperature fluctuates, so what?

and just to point out other elements of global warning, you know how "jesus walked on water"? well, according to recent geologists reports, 2000 years ago the weather was so cold that the water used to freeze over in Israel. This means that Jesus actually walked on Ice, only that they didn't have a word for ice at that time in that part of the world, and the word Water was used instead...

there are a lot of things that, through historical examination, can be proven one way and the other. the only thing you really need is time, and what i haven't seen so far is a research establishing the wavelengths of the suns radiation and heat intensity, and heard how that relates to our temperature... flares and so on would distort the info on a short-term examination, and after about 10 years of research we'd most probably just get an answer like 'the sun is hot'...

have fun arguing about the climate changes... but if you really want a mind boggler, look up the el-nino effect. the water current used to change there, with 7 years of the cold currents on top, and 7 years with the warm currents on top. This would act as a global temperature stabiliser. I will also point out that the bible points out (during the moses texts) of 7 years of good fruit and luck etc, and then 7 years of hunger, locusts etc. which implies that back then, like aeons ago, ppl had noticed the 7 year cycle...

catch 22, since 1978 i think, the hot current has continuously been on top...

oh, and i'm not a religious person, i haven't read the bible, and prefer reading geological reviews etc instead. most of the info here is based on things i've read in magazines etc. and if u think i'm joking, i'll later post an ice-age/dead sea/noah's ark theory that was published in national geographic like 10 years ago Smile

but, like all the aforementioned, all these are theories, such as global warming is... another research done in philadelphia established that 'elderly people move their legs faster when they are in a hurry'! everything can be proven, yet can remain a theory till objective criteria are established...

just having fun btw, flame away Smile

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, flames not necessary, though the whole fact that the disciples were on a boat, sailing around, does make the "walk on ice", a bit hard to believe as an explanation, and I'm fairly certain there was a greek word for ice, though I'm not promising. I'll check my old text-books later. Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Its a conspiracy I say! We are gong into a new Iceage but they don't want us to know!

And wasn the war on Iraq the biggest fraud and scare mongering of this century by the way? Found any weapons of mass destruction lately?

Im gonna see that movie, Daft can go back watching Fox News or som other reliable source instead...
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Most amusing, strong semblances of good argument in some cases, but whether it really is is tbd (in this threat). I rather doubt any of the people here have truly looked at the issue in depth enough to really say. It's an inevitable byproduct of the growth of science since Newton's time, that there's so much out there that most peopole simply cannot afford the time to fully read and analyze the data, so they have to rely on second or third hand reports to get their information. Unfortunately all these intervening hands often have biases. Hmm, i wonder how much confirmation bias exists in the debate.
Zlefin Smile
 Jump to: