18 coaches online • Server time: 08:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

So, the NFL just started and with it my local shop has started the blood bowl league. I have been out of the loop for about a year and was shocked to see the new rules were set in stone now, and I've been trying to catch myself up. So I wanted to hear some opinions on all the teams and the changes caused by the new skills.

In my humble opinion I'll add a "+" for got better, a "-" for got worse, and nothing if they stayed about the same power level

Amazon Teams -
Chaos Teams -
Chaos Dwarf Teams
Dark Elf Teams +
Dwarf Teams -
Elf Teams
Goblin Teams +
Halfling Teams
High Elf Teams
Human Teams
Khemri Teams
Lizardman Teams +
Necromantic Teams +/- wolf regenerate! yes please, claw sucks? poop.
Norse Teams +/- I miss my 4 blitzers, and snow troll sucks
Nurgle's Rotters Teams +
Ogre Teams
Orc Teams
Skaven Teams -
Undead Teams
Vampire Teams
Wood Elf Teams

What do you guys think?

I think the addition of wrestle really brings down the overall strength of teams like dwarves and amazons that normally don't go down so easy.

The team with the biggest boon has to be Nurgle's Rotters. Not worth playing before since only 4 players could regenerate is now really good with fantastic LOS fodder with the 40k rotters.

Chaos got beat with a stick. Mutations are beyong weak now and they've lost a lot of their ability to bash.

Say goodbye to skaven 1 turn scorers with the loss of +1 MV from very long legs. It also seems silly that dark elves got assassins, but they didn't do anything special for the skaven.

Norse, my old favorite. I think the new Ulfweren are a great addition, but the lack of block on them makes them a liability. Bumping blitzers armor up to 8 also would have been ideal in my opinion. I also don't see the flavor or attraction to fielding the snow troll.

Dark Elves gained assassins, but lost pass. It brings their speed up a little and their armor down. This seems counterproductive as to the niche the team filled and I'm not a huge fan of the changes. All in all though, the team is still pretty good.

With the lack of so much evil mutations messing up players Lizards will be able to maintain skinks a lot longer as well as get skills like wrestle/juggernaught on saurus and not worry about never knocking things down.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I reckon you're wrong on the Norse. They definitely got a big powerup. If nothing else, the new Runner at MA7 is a lot more dangerous for scoring than the old Catcher, and the Ulfs are not far off Bull Centaurs IMO. A bit slower, but starting with Frenzy is sweet. In my playtest games the Ulfs were MA7, which was a bit ott. I'd have like the Blitzers to go to MA7 when they dropped down, as the extra bit of speed really added a new dimension to the team.

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the 4 elf teams have gained a lot, with the reduction of importance in FF they can have more re-rolls or actually start with some positionals, rather than the dull 10 lineman + 1 teams.

Mighty blow, claw and dirty player have all been reduced, so they have a better chance of survival.

Finally the introduction of journeymen is fantastic for elves, they can have 8 great players and get 3 journeymen for free to put on the line of scrimmage, should any of them get enough SPP for a skill you can buy him.

Wndering apotheracries are available too if you have cash to burn or play a team with much higher TS.

hopefully this means that the elves will actually be able to play some of the bashier teams without being devastated.
pac

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Jackbedead wrote:
claw sucks?

I don't think that it does, actually. It's not as good for picking on the weak as it was, no, but against tougher players it is just as good as before - better, in fact, <i>because it stacks with Mighty Blow</i>!

Of course, this isn't a huge help for wolves, because they do need doubles to get MB. But wolves with doubles aren't exactly a rarity. Wink
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think the dwarves become weaker. They can field a deathroller which is the only secret weapon worth buying a ref bribe to keep it on for a 2nd drive.
Undead and Necros have to pay 25% more for their zombies. Undead can take the still cheap skeletons to start with, though.
Apropos mutations: their efficency is reduced, but chaos and nurgle can get them on normal skill rolls.

fen

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazon - Better
Chaos - A lot worse
Chaos Dwarf - A lot better, one of the best teams in LRB5. Probably will get avoided.
Dark Elf - Better, the assassin
Dwarf - About the same, will still get avoided. That problem hasn't been solved
Elf - About the same... Cheaper linemen than other Elf teams becomes more important.
Goblin Teams - Better, but not because of the secret weapons. Because you can build a team that induces Ripper every game. No more Goblin on the LoS, just three big trolls!
Halfling Teams - About the same, took some nerfs but can induce a master chef and deeproot every game.
High Elf Teams - Better, established their dominance as the armoured elfs and also got given dominance of the passing game.
Human Teams - Better, they benefit from the new skills a lot more than most sides as they're well placed to make use of them.
Khemri Teams - A lot better, the mummy nerf hurts less than you'd think when you can foul more and also they have great inducement options. One of the best teams.
Lizardman Teams - About the same, Claw no longer savages Skinks. But it savages Sauri instead.
Necromantic Teams - Better, Regening Wolfs plus cheap linemen and easy fouling. Oh and ST access on Wights. Hooray!
Norse Teams - Better, more resilient and the Snow Troll is devestating on pitch.
Nurgle's Rotters Teams - It's gone from being a rather weak team into a very resilient one. This is now the Chaos team of choice. It has everything good going for it, cheap linemen, strong inducemements, regen.
Ogre Teams - A lot worse, there really should have been a snotling team instead...
Orc Teams - Better, only thing that hurts them is Claw. They're near the top.
Skaven Teams - About the same, the new skills help them (Wrestle in particular). But mutation changes hurt (VLL, Horns...). Add in the fact that their Rat Ogre is now over costed and it's a slight downward turn for them.
Undead Teams - Better, Gen access loss for mummies was more than made up by ST access on Wights.
Vampire Teams - Better, can apoth their vampires and Hypnotic Gaze has been improved.
Wood Elf Teams - About the same. They like Wrestle.

It's worth noting that all regen players/teams have improved because of the apoth's nerfing.
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, how anyone missed Chaos Dwarves getting boosted i dont know.... Oh, were already one of the best teams in LRB4, can we have M access please? Why certainly sir! I must say thats a fine hat your wearing....

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Tophat

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Im not overally sure how claw now hurts orcs worse than before , an 8 would already break BoBs armour with a claw , now it does again ..............okay so mighty blow helps a bit there .But still not a great change as its certainly not a lot better off than a claw/rsc lrb4 hit ?

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Vampire Teams - Better, can apoth their vampires and Hypnotic Gaze has been improved.

Since you have to roll for regenerate after the Apothecary roll, it's not a really improvement. Thralls will suffer even more.

Lishi

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Are Amazon-Teams stronger or weaker now???

I think, nothing changed on the team. That niggle isn´t that bad anymore, maybe is a plus for them (cause with AV7 you get more niggles then other teams). Stand firm as a normal skill is usefull for the blitzers, but now there is a skill against it and it it doesn´t help dodging anymore. That fouling has become easier (the ref sees less) maybe is negative for them to (cause with AV7, your opponent fouls better/with less support). I think, Amazons aren´t better or worse then before.
Cyco

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Where is the link to lrb 5?

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Lishi wrote:
Are Amazon-Teams stronger or weaker now???

I think, nothing changed on the team. That niggle isn´t that bad anymore, maybe is a plus for them (cause with AV7 you get more niggles then other teams). Stand firm as a normal skill is usefull for the blitzers, but now there is a skill against it and it it doesn´t help dodging anymore. That fouling has become easier (the ref sees less) maybe is negative for them to (cause with AV7, your opponent fouls better/with less support). I think, Amazons aren´t better or worse then before.

Well they have to pay and extra 10K for re-rolls now, so thats 20K after the initial start up.
Attilargh

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Cyco wrote:
Where is the link to lrb 5?

Clicky.
monkeygoose

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Necro are much worse, not that they had far to go. Yet regen on wolfes is great, but with the nefr to claws they are not as good. They also lost catch. Zombies are more expensive. And Stand Firm is nerfed, can't dodge with it any more and can be countered with Juggernaut.

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2006 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Jackbedead wrote:

Dwarf Teams -
Khemri Teams
Ogre Teams

How can you possibly motivate this?! Dwarves got a huge boost with the access to a lot of new Longbeard skills on regular rolls (the jury may still be out on the Deathroller, though), Khemri took a massive nerf to the mummies, and it's utterly incomprehensible to me how anyone could think that the Ogres remains the same in quality.

/johan
 Jump to: