22 coaches online • Server time: 08:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Raskolnikov

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2003 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

If i have strong arm, does that mean can I make a short pass dump off? The rules are not too clear. SA "reduce the range by one band when the player passes the ball", and i guess the question is: is dump off a pass the way pass is a pass. Anyone know for sure?
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2003 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Dumpoff treats longer passes like shorter ones, but not shorter passes like longer ones, if that makes any sense. A short pass may be just like a QP penalty wise, but that doesn't mean a QP is any longer. At least that's how I understand it.
Raskolnikov

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2003 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess that makes sense. But it could also be that a strong armed always treats a pass as if it is a notch shorter than it is. Then a SP is a QP. Anyways, it would be cool to hear if anyone actually tried it.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2003 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

sure a short pass with strong arm is a quick pass

but you aren't allowed to make a shortpass dump off

i can guarentee you that you can't use dump off with strong arm, can't use strong arm in a blizzard either to throw further
Raskolnikov

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2003 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, seems reasonable...
Kaz

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 04:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I heard about this being brought up before and the realism logic that fixed it for me was "Dump-off is about making passes quickly, they don't have the time to wind up and heave it, so Strong Arm won't help. "
Surre

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:

i can guarentee you that you can't use dump off with strong arm, can't use strong arm in a blizzard either to throw further

SA should help in a Blizzard in my oppinion. You could argue that the Blizzard makes the visibility too poor to even see that far in the field. But why are the referee able to spot fouls all over the field in that case?! Rolling Eyes

Well, anyway I think SA should have that small advantage, it is a trait after all and should be better than accurate in some way.
Twahn

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that it can be COMBINED with Accurate makes it a worthwhile trait...

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Mezir

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Surre wrote:
SA should help in a Blizzard in my oppinion. You could argue that the Blizzard makes the visibility too poor to even see that far in the field. But why are the referee able to spot fouls all over the field in that case?! Rolling Eyes

Because it's about game balance, not realism. Wink And you could count IGMEOY roll as checking if the referee is close enough to see you, anyway.
James

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The rule book clearly states that you can use these two skills together. They directly mention this use just so nobody gets confused.
It's logical that you can throw farther because you have a strong arm. Even when making just a dump off.
Surre

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Twahn wrote:
The fact that it can be COMBINED with Accurate makes it a worthwhile trait...

But accurate should be the trait since it is a better skill than SA. Well, it is no big deal, but it would have been neat to be able to use SA in some special cases like Dump Off or Blizzard.
veron

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Surre wrote:

But accurate should be the trait since it is a better skill than SA.

I beg to differ. With Strong Arm you never get the -2 modifier for Long Bombs, hence you fumble less often than without it. Only thing Accurate is better at, is when throwing quick passes.
deneb

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

there was the same discution on TalkBloodBowl.com

http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6081&highlight=dump+strong+arm

Very Happy Cool
deneb
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Vernon - you can beg but you're wrong on a couple counts. 1) Accurate gives a +1 modifier for ALL throws so it usefull for ALL ranges, not just quick pases. 2) Strong Arm only reduces the throwing range by 1, which means the long bomb modifer is -1 rather than -2 (it just doesn't go away). Also, these modifiers have no effect on your chance to fumble the throw, only enemies in TZs do that.

So I would also agree with Surre that accurate is more usefull that Strong Arm since the +1 modifier applies to all ranges whereas Strong Arm does not help on Quick Passes.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2003 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully Said: Also, these modifiers have no effect on your chance to fumble the throw, only enemies in TZs do that.

I'll think you find the pass range modifiers do count towards fumbles.
 Jump to: