51 coaches online • Server time: 22:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
greyhunter

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
greyhunter wrote:
Nuffle doesn't hate anyone or anything. he just loves to see grown men cry.

Laughing
Amen!

ps: with your permission, I'd like to add this to my signature. It's just perfect. Very Happy

feel free Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I look at it this way: the open Ranked division, and the tournaments run for it, ar geared a cretain way: to coaches with the free time, dedication, mindset and ability to win in those circumstances. This may mean elfbowling, orcbowling, cherrypicking, munchkining, etc. You may not like this; you may not want to play that way; you may not think it's fair. The solution is, of course, twofold: one, offer constructive ideas to better the situation (maybe offer your time so the staff can do more for the players), and two, play in or develop a league or tournament that runs the way you want. Try 5vs5, Blood Bowl Sevens, the World Cup (if it gets going again) or any of the other leagues: SWL, NWL, or tournament-based groups like the Champion's Cup Challenge and Diehard Tournament League, etc etc. As a coach with only a few months on FUMBBL and a losing record, groups like these are the only way I can gain any notoriety on this site. I still lose most of my games, but I can at least build players or teams that can get into the groups' halls of fame. And I get to have a fun time. I don't feel like I'm being cherrypicked, and I don't worry too much about other coaches trying too hard to create a perfect, invincible team on the backs of others.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I've found noteriety can be gained without really winning games at all! Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember that "YAY! Stomp Macavity!" quote on your profile - I think it was a direct response to something I had said
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Actually, I've found noteriety can be gained without really winning games at all! Wink

Or, in your case Mac, without really even playing games at all! Wink

Oh, and, er, Nandorins for FC Champs! (since I can't join in anyhow...)

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

gonna be tough - they aren't even TR 200

but he has played 50 games in the last 30 days
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
I hate Malthor's teams, but I like the way Malthor thinks.

I don't.

He produces a gigantic post which consists of personalised attacks primarily and which is not even remotely related to the (I think) justified question raised:

Is it reasonable for a tournament manager to join majors with so highly disputed abominations such as the Blood Falcons?

It is beyond me, why that sacrilegious question with regard to a possible conflict of interests meant that I didn't want Malthor as tournament manager, wanted that job myself and all views but mine were wrong. Apart from that, I agree with Macavity, of course.

May Nuffle (and Macavity) show mercy upon my unworthy soul which dared to raise so irreverent a question.

/me shrugs
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 04:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I think il bring my khemri, and see how much pain and misery i can cause to everyone

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe Frankenstein could go back and reread his various posts in different forums over the last two weeks and consider how someone other than he or I or our like minded friends might read his statements. He might appreciate why others think he has been making personal attacks and dismissive of all alternate views. He may even like to find a post where he even entertains the possibility that alternative view have any merit at all.

I don't really think Frankenstein wants to be the tourney manager, I was using sarcasm which I know some of you understood.

As for the 'sacrilegious' question, I did not think it was worth an answer because it was a loaded question with lots of innuendo attached. However, I'll let readers know what the situation is, rather than indulging Frankenstein.

I asked Christer prior to taking on this job, whether or not I could enter tournaments, and his response was that I was just like any other coach. I have entered all the Majors prior to being tournament manager with my teams and really it is no different now.

Rightly or wrongly, I am seen by some as the ultimate cherrypicker. Whilst I don't feast on CR 145 coaches or pick on easy to beat TR 200 Chaos Teams with Elves, I do have an undisputed reputation for elfbowling and avoiding damage. Upon appointing me to the team, Christer said "Well, this settles the question of whether or not cherry picking is acceptable in Ranked. After all, it is an open league and picking your opponents is part of the (meta)game."

That really does settle it.

Is there a conflict of interest in me entering tournaments (forget my uber teams for now)? There will always be a perceived conflict of interest with any admin taking part in any ranked tournament. After all, we do the draws, we see what teams apply, we make rulings on who goes through on disputed uncompleted games etc.

We mitigate this with the ruleset. For example, the admin team will nominate for the Fumbbl Cup qualifier groups they want to play in before any of the general public apply - so that none of us can see who has applied where to avoid eg a cluster of claw/rsc/dp teams etc. Does the fact that I like playing at very high TR mean that I will make tourney decisions that favour me? Of course not, I make decisions as part of an admin team. It is also clear to any who bother to look or listen that I am implementing things for next year in response to some of the many expressed views about ranked tournaments, some of which will disadvantage me and my teams.

So is it reasonable for me to enter majors with my ranked teams? In Frankenstein's world view, no. In the world view of "respected" coaches? Some say yes, some say no, the majority don't care two hoots, they just want to play FUMBBL. Are the Blood Falcons highly disputed abominations? It depends who you ask. There are plenty of coaches who look forward to playing them in Tournies for the handicaps, the chance to kill them and to prove they are over-rated.

The majority of responses (not just in this thread) have been "bring them all on", stop these discussions about cherry picking and "shut up and lets just play". That is blantantly clear, but some like to flog a dead horse I guess.

There are also enough responses that say they want a TR cap or no stars/wizards, no recovery games etc that we will continue to look into the possibility of these in some of the bigger ranked tournaments.

I think the majority of coaches are tired of what you and I have to say on this matter.

still disliked all round!
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't be bothered to read up on the discussion that led to this post from Malthor, but I really want to say one thing:

We need Malthor's teams to be in the majors. They set the standard of how to build a team for these tournaments, at least until LRB5 is introduced, or the rules for the majors are changed.

You can like the rules, or choose not to like them, but you can't fault a coach for playing within the rules in such a way that he maximises his chances of winning.

On top of that, I think I can speak for all bashy coaches when I say we're all always eager to get a crack at Malthor's teams Razz

As I said before, I will not enter any more majors because I feel the current rules place severe limitations on the numbers of ways/races that can be used to win one.

But please people, just respect a good coach for being a a good coach, and stop the admin bashing in the general sence.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, please stop this talk in the "FUMBBL Cup V is coming" thread!
Hell, I am looking forward to the qualifiers and I do not want my mood to go down by this "discussion".

Last year (or was it for the Warpstone?) there was discussion if grandfathered team should be allowed to play. Well, not a stupid question, but as long as they are allowed, why not?

Actually I´d like to play the Falcons in the Cup (also out of the Cup one day, if we can arrange that), even though his playing style (opponent selection) is no way like mine and my DE play more other races. I do not know Malthor except from some nice chatting during FCIV last year. When he took the job I thought he was a good choice, and those suggestions and ideas and efforts he has given so far support that.

I do play U-tournaments in which the group founder and members of the staff are also playing, and never thought they might take an advantage from that. I do not think Malthor or any other admin would do this. Ok, here the admin has nicely build team ("cherry-picked" maybe), but they are in the rules and thus I see no problem.

Now, let´s stop this, all try to pick some easy games to prepare their teams for the qualifiers, we want to see a big show in October!!!
Cool Cool
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, allow me a positive proposal then: Very Happy

Lets grant all participating teams 100000k and 1000 SPPs at their free disposal prior to the qualifiers - it is not necessary that this remains the exclusive privilege of just one team! Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
OK, allow me a positive proposal then: Very Happy

Lets grant all participating teams 100000k and 1000 SPPs at their free disposal prior to the qualifiers - it is not necessary that this remains the exclusive privilege of just one team! Wink

Then I want my humies to have claws. It's not necessary that they remain the esclusive provilege of just Chaos and Skaven teams!

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
Is it reasonable for a tournament manager to join majors with so highly disputed abominations such as the Blood Falcons?

Grotty Little Tournament II - Winner: Athel Loren Guardians
Grotty Little Tournament I - Winner: catenaccio

FUMBBL Cup IV - Winner: Nandorins
FUMBBL Cup III - Winner: Unbemalt II
FUMBBL CUP II - Winner: Charade
FUMBBL Cup I - Winner: Earthshakers

Warpstone Open I - Winner: Black Axe

Ulthuan Invitational II - Winner: Sanguine Savants
Ulthuan Invitational I - Winner: Midwinter

How many Blood Falcons do you see in this list?

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Amen Jan Cool