15 coaches online • Server time: 06:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Malthor

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

As the old thread was getting terribly off topic, I have started a new thread. Please keep your posts on topic. No sledging, riddiculing or personal attacks will be tolerated.
-----
The biggest event in the FUMBBL calendar is almost upon us once more. The FUMBBL CUP.

This is THE tournament with 256 teams competing for an amazing prize - a magical healing potion.

Can the iconic Nandorins go back to back? Will Petter pick up his third Major? Will Synn ever beat an elf team in this or any other major tournament?

The dates have been announced in the front page news (8 October 2006 for the Weekly KOs and 14 October for the Quick Starts) and a FAQ has been posted

APPLICATIONS
Deadline for applications for the Weekly KO Qualifiers is noon (1200 BB time - type "bb time" in chat or GMT +1) Saturday 30 October. If you apply later than that, you will only make it in if all slots have not been taken. There is no deadline for applying to the Quick Starts.

Post your questions, boasts, and general related chatter in here. So get your teams ready, you only have a few weeks before it all starts!

We are also looking for some tournament reporters to write interesting articles, match previews and reports. If you want to help, drop by the IRC channel #reporters.

still disliked all round!

Last edited by Malthor on %b %09, %2007 - %12:%Jan; edited 3 times in total
Malthor

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Addendum...

In relation to riddiculing... bragging about beating the Blood Falcons is acceptable Very Happy

Have your fun PeteW and RandomOracle Razz

RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Considering that CR changes over time, what is the CR used if I apply to the high CR group? Is it my CR at the time I submit the team, at the time of the deadline or something else? The same goes for high TR teams, long-lived teams (games) and tourney wins.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any chance of getting updates on the current cutoff for a qualifier and/or the number of applicants?

For coaches that are having trouble deciding which qualifier they have the best chance of being accepted to, it might be handy to know whether they are likely to have a high enough TR/CR whatever. Obviously the numbers become obselete pretty quickly, but if you know what date/time the last snapshot was accurate for, it might help with getting applications from people that don't think their (insert stat here) is good enough when in fact it is.

Hmm, I don't know if that made any sense, but I hope it did Razz

Edit: An alternative explanation/example (kinda in response to Synn's post):

you don't need to say which teams in particular, but a rough idea of the answer to the question
"is my 50 game old team good enough for the LLT qualifier? or am I wasting my time applying?"

something like:
LLT qualifier
- Date updated: 2006-09-25
- No of applicants: 13
- Top 8 cutoff: 80 games
- Top 16 cutoff: (45 games)
- Top 32 cutoff: (45 games)

I seem to remember there being very small numbers of teams applying to some of the groups (LLT was one of them) last year, and I was thinking that this might be a good way to increase the number of applicants. I suspect that people though that their teams weren't old enough, even though they probably were. Obviously, we should NOT be able to see actual team names/coach names, and if needed, the numbers could be rounded off to help anonymise the stats.

Last edited by Laviak on %b %25, %2006 - %05:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Synn

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak:

That will never happen. I think there is an element of people wondering which teams to avoid and what category they are likely to go for. This way, you get a good way to randomize the pot.

__Synn
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 05:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The Nandorins are trying to make it back, but it doesn't look good. Still, for them, early October is a long way away

a little bird told me
lordchaos

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

how do you know if your team made it? I applied but don't have a clue if I'm in or not.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ill be applying with my beloved "Grace" http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=130046, peobably in the oldest teams bracket, you think 82 games will cut it?

anyhow, looking forward to seeing you all there!
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

82 games for oldest teams sounds like a bit of a gamble to me.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I understand it, applications have not yet been started, right?
I just donĀ“t want to miss it....
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Is that right? Qualifiers start Octobre 8th and 14th and Teams will be accepted one week before each?
Malthor

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Partly right. One week before the groups, we will announce that applications can be made.

We do not actually 'accept' (or process) applications until we the day before the start dates.

This also answers RandomOracle's question. It is on the day before the start that we compare Coach Rating, games played, TR etc.

I'll update the FAQ overnight.

Melmoth wrote:
Is that right? Qualifiers start Octobre 8th and 14th and Teams will be accepted one week before each?

Oventa

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Question for Most won tournaments qualifiers.

that is tournaments won by coach and not by team, right?
Mezir

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It's by team (or should be).

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Sry, but i probably missed the the information, or i didnt understand it...

Can i use for instance two teams? applying one for the "swiftest applications" and the other to "most games played"? Can i apply the same team for 2 weekly tournament?
Will the dates from when i can apply to these two groups be announced still... or can i apply today?
(read almost everything but still got some doubts, because there are so "Many" pages with lots of info Rolling Eyes )

NP