54 coaches online • Server time: 15:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Where's da Orc Love? Plz read the post before voting
Orcs are the silent majority
26%
 26%  [ 32 ]
Orcs are like Bryan Adams
13%
 13%  [ 16 ]
Orcs are like puberty
19%
 19%  [ 23 ]
Orcs are an ugly duckling
20%
 20%  [ 24 ]
Orcs are something else, I'll comment below
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Pie
18%
 18%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 120

MadTias

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

In Brownrob's "Hurt and Heal"-thread, Orcs got killed off early. I'm an Orc man myself, so this got me wondering. Where's da Orc love? Sad

I found it kind of weird that Orcs were killed early. Checking FUMBBL statistics shows that there are currently 8676 Orc teams, by far the most of any one race. (Second is Skaven, with 6864). The "Hurt and Heal"-votes thus do not seem to correspond to the actual preferences of the FUMBBL coaches. What could be the cause of this? I could immediately think of a few reasons:

1) There is a large silent majority of Orc coaches who do not vote in "Hurt and Heal".

2) Liking Orcs is similar to liking say, Bryan Adams - you shouldn't admit to it.

3) Coaching Orcs is like puberty - a phase that everyone goes through but ultimately grow out of.

4) Orcs are like the ugly duckling - all Orc coaches have another team that they like better.

Go vote in the poll! And comment, if there's a reason that I missed. Cool
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the 3 of the least used are Flings, goobos and vamps all 3 of them are doing very well in the hurt/heal poll.

So I guess it may be people like the underdog.

Maybe it's a bit of Jealousy Orcs have good armour, can take 12 positionals, in addition to having access to a big guy and goblins, and they have cheap linemen.

Most of the team have AG 3 and they are only slightly slower than humans and the average Orc team can have better armour than many dwarf teams (assuming a troll, no gobbos and only 1 thrower vs 2 slayers and 2 runners).

I dislike Orcs cos i've faced them soooooo much in tabletop, about 50% of my LRB5 games.
but thats cos almost everyone has some orc or Oek models lying around to convert and they are a very easy team to use, and pretty forgiving in a league.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

That thread is meant to be fun. Many coaches like Vampires for fluff,but get REALLY mad at them because of their very low degree of playability in the medium-long run (hat off to Heinz, Burnalot and a couple more brave coaches).

That said, Orcs are the ultimate BB machine in the long run. They don't die, they kill, and still they can play a neat running game when needed. They are a bit like Brian Adams, and a bit like puberty. They are a perfect starting team (easy to learn, easy to master, perfect not to get swept away while you walk down the learning curve of the game).
They are also overpowered (best all-round team out there) so people tend to coach them but not make them their ultimate preferred race.

This is why Orcs were killed off so easily: those who hate them REALLY hate them. Those who love them have something they love more.

I voted option 2, but 2-3-4 all make sense.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, i saw that Lavino Fighting Hellfishes in The Simpsons this week ! And i smiled thinking of you Jan.

Well, I know that the skavens have many teams, because so many coach build one and retire it soon after because they are not strong enough to keep them playable, or have the courage to lost 3 matchs for recovering.

About the Orcs. Yes, many people despise them, because they are so strong, so invulnerable, so easy to play, so long living and are a good scoring team. In fact, the disgust is a natural reaction for balancing them.
I think there is many orcs teams because many coachs have played with them, but don't like the feeling of playing them. So they retired their team for more suitable race. By the way, i'm sure at least 75% of the coachs have made one. Also don't forget the coachs that doesn't play anymore. Their account and teams is still there.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I just won against them 2-1 with an humies team.
for me orc team are quite cooooool, they have many different tactical option, i.e. bash throw throw team mate.
definitely fun

Beside I am sure the orcs prefer not da luv, they prefer a bash...
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess what skews Orc winning % is the fact that newbie coaches take them first, as they are more used to them, having Orcs in the box set and all, I do think they are broke, and should probably lose gobbos, or an increase in RR cost (but then again, I dont like my gobbo minis becoming unusable Wink )

If you skill up your BOB, then you have a pure beast of a team, the BOB are the backbone to every successful Orc team
MadTias

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Panda_ wrote:
I think there is many orcs teams because many coachs have played with them, but don't like the feeling of playing them. So they retired their team for more suitable race. By the way, i'm sure at least 75% of the coachs have made one. Also don't forget the coachs that doesn't play anymore. Their account and teams is still there.

This sounds like a vote for Orcs are like puberty, but there is still a 0 there... Hmmm...
Webbe

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

You can't base anything on that thread. Silly races like vamps, goblins and halflings are going good there but still are the 3 least popular races teamwise. I voted pie.
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs are hideous, fantastic blocking line, ludicrously tough armour all round, stunty access(this IS an advantage) TTM ability, usable passing ability, good running game and cheap positionals. Orcs get everything :/
Easily tieing with Chaos Dwarves for the most comically overpowered BB team around Sad

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
WiNG

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs are too good that deserve early death
MadTias

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:
You can't base anything on that thread. Silly races like vamps, goblins and halflings are going good there but still are the 3 least popular races teamwise. I voted pie.

So, you're not interested to know why coaches don't vote for the teams that most like to play? Very Happy
Papermonster

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Orc Love? Its right here baby in the arms of one of these hot greenskin mamma's!!!!!
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=245267

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I would assume it is not that coaches dislike them, more that no coach prefers them to all other teams. When they get hurt nobody heals them as they are too busy looking after another team that they like. It is a bit like 'Coldplay'. Loads of people like them, but very few would have them as their favourite band.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I like Orcs, but I like Humans (and Chaos Halflings) much much more Wink
shagga

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2006 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say in LRB4 chaos become overpowered once they get RSC, claw, mighty blow loaded skill sets. Saying one team is more overpowered than another is pointless, the game was never built to have hundreds of games played like it is on here. Yes certain teams excel at particular tr bands but once you get tr 250 its only the ogre and vamp teams that haven't had a fair crack of the whip.

I do like orcs because you can build a decent team and dont have to enter recovery matches with them.
 Jump to: