67 coaches online • Server time: 23:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2006 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wondering if its feasable to use a set of large icons, that are resized pictures of actual minis, I believe the icons are 40x40 in size... Ive tried doing it myself, my bad attempt at a witch elf...

See below for a better screenshot!

If possible, I have a whole host of BB minis I can take pics of at multiple angles, but tips and tricks are welcome!

Last edited by SnakeSanders on %b %30, %2006 - %13:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2006 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess even overlapping the icons and making them 45x45 or 50x50 would be alright in my book Razz But any help is welcome!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2006 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It's doable, but imho icons look better.

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2006 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

It works much better if you cut the bases off... they take up to many of your limited pixels. Also, you really have to tweak the colors of each mini-icon individually. I did this for BB internet years ago and it looked OK but takes quite an effort.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2006 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

any better? Razz

My only worry is the size of a Kroxigor in comparison... those are 45x45... No idea what size the krox would need to be!

Last edited by SnakeSanders on %b %30, %2006 - %13:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2006 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Doe the above look OK? If people sent me pics of their painted minis I could resize them etc...

Also, does transparency have any effect on the client, there is alpha transparency and some other type... Just wondering what is the best type to use? Perhaps ski is the best guy to ask about this!
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2006 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
Also, does transparency have any effect on the client, there is alpha transparency and some other type...

If you look at the back of the Saurus's head where it is on the black of the eye socket, you'll see a fine white line. That's what you get with 1-bit transparency, which is what you get in a .gif file. While it doesn't show up much on the white skull, each icon will have that slightly jagged border around it.

The reason the icons don't have the blocky white line is because they have a blocky black line by design. This is one of the glorious things about line art.

If you change it to a 24-bit .png, you can get that replaced with the alpha channel transparency you mentioned. Basically, if you think of the 1-bit as having every single pixel as either transparent or opaque (one-bit = 2^1 = 2 options. It's there or it is not there), then the alpha channel is an 8-bit version of that (8-bit = 2^8 = 256 shades of either opaque, transparent or anything in between).

If you want to use photographs to make icons, then ideally you should either use the alpha channel to make a smoother mask OR you could try outlining the pictures in black, to set it off from the background and give them a clearly-defined black edge and then having everything outside of that border transparent (allowing a good .gif image).

While animated .gifs cause a performance issue, I don't think that larger icon files (the 24-bit .pngs will be substantially larger than the equivalent .gifs) will cause enough of a problem to be noticeable for most people.

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2006 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
It's doable, but imho icons look better.

agreed
IbsontheGrey

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2006 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

If you look here,
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/ibsonthegrey/suprteam.jpg
you can see the versions I did. Heck, some of these were just colorized pics of the bare metal mini... but they looked OK on the screen (at least to me). These were all 40x40 pix gifs. I know more now, and agree with BadMrMojo, png a better way to go but gif is still doable. Use a good commercial program to do your work (I like paint shop pro), their conversion and saving options will be better than the free stuff.

Here's one of mine on the field....

Cheers!
 Jump to: