34 coaches online • Server time: 15:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, how to choose who to invite? could get tricky

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2006 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

pretty much everything that had to be said about the XFL format has already been mentioned and I am confident that the tournament faciliators exactly know where the problems of the XFL are.

Still I would like to introduce another idea that poped into my head quite some time ago when I read this thread: http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7558

what about combining the synn-full series concept and the "XFL - Masters" (or whatever they will be called)
after all, theoretically the coach who won the XFL of a specific race is the best coach of that race on fumbbl (okay thats of course not totally true but lets just ignore that point for the sake of the tournaments fluff). So this particular coach can choose a "Best of raceXYZ" team with a few restrictions of course and play a tournament of "Best of teams" against all the XFL coaches. I think that the idea is quite okay although this event would in no way be a major or even minor R tournament since you would have to use customized rosters. Dont know either whether you could spectate such games and whether the XFL winners would want to do so much work ... i.e. researching players, creating a roster and so on ... all for a non-fumbbl game.
On the other hand this concept would take care of a few other downsides a normal "XFL Masters" tournament would bring... like retired teams, weak teams, coaches who dont want to participate because of the uneven matchups that might occure and so on ...

I havent got any strict ideas about the restrictions for the customized rosters, but I guess normal restricitons of positional players should apply (i.e. not 16 wardancers) and the players you choose would have to been active until a certain deadline.

All in all this idea might not be the best one as an alternative for the XFL winners tournament, but sure worth a bit effort for a private group of XFL winners [or just people who like to play with ridiculous teams every once in a while]
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2006 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Candlejack wrote:
yeah, how to choose who to invite? could get tricky

Well, the 21 winners and all runner-ups, as long as the teams are not retired, that is. A coach can only apply with one team, of course.

1) Wait for a week or so.

2) All accepting champions qualify automatically.

3) Highest priority for runner-ups against double-/triple-/quadruple-/etc.-champion-coaches who chose another race.

4) Lowest priority for all runner-ups who would constitute a second team of a particular race.

5) In case of ties, priority for races from tournaments with higher participation.

6) Resolve remaining ties by random rolls.

Would be my 2p.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2006 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

JB: sorry but no.. no official fumbbl games will ever be played between "designed" teams, that is one of the basic rules here.. of course someone can use those teams for games without fumbbl login, but they will never be uploaded

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2006 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

JB:

I am all for the Synnfull Series concept (totally designed rosters) to function as a form of Premier League. I have been trying to get someone to create a new team editor... since the ease at which rosters can be edited would open up some really cool possibilities. Imagine playing a game where you set the TR or even skills (akin to many tournies). The new roster editor would have to be quite robust. Perhaps the ability to enter the player link and get it added to the roster would be a cool feature (any programmers out there listening?).

Either way, I plan on trying to promote the Series following the FC finale. I did make the "Best of Kittens" and plan on bringing out the "Best of the Bunnies" (you should see the Mummies.....).

XFL Masters could be very difficult to pull off.

__Synn
Buur

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2006 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I saw one major flaw in the "teams accepted in order of application only" policy: The fact that where no lower tr cap and turnament fillers werent used made som turnamen played with out the best teams of some races...
so either tr could be used as acceptence or all teams should be accepted and turney fillers used in first round or there should be a lowest tr cap or a combination of these sugestion.
-Buur

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2006 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The current TR cap is fine as far as I am concerned.

I recently played a XFL game against a coach who was playing his first Ranked tournament and was loving every minute of it. I don't think it would be beneficial to the XFL concept to make it all about uber teams. As I stated before I think some sort of solution with tourney fillers would be best, but I agree with Candlejack that this might also lead to people protesting due to the fact that some teams have to play fewer matches to get to the final.

Difficult problem.....

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2006 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The lower minimum for TR should not be over 170, because there are some coaches with weak teams (TR <170), which still could get in the semi-final or final.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1443348
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1448201
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2006 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Only two changes I recommend.

public random choosing of the next xfl race (list races with number, bb die roll)

increased final reward

I think the grand prize should be fixed regardless of rounds/teams. This will provide a boost to the less popular (read: weaker) teams.

these two changes should: A) reduce any griping about which xfl race plays next (in conflict with another tourney) and B) makes entering the tournament more attractive.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2006 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Time for a bump!

Again, everyone who would like to help running the XFL in 2007 or maybe even be in charge, should contact Malthor.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2006 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

On the topic of teams not getting to enter a XFL, because of the applications not filling up a full 8/16/32.

Yes it's bad to give some teams a free pass through first round, but you still want those teams playing.

Perhaps this could work: If the number of teams entered are closer to the next full bracket than the one before (7, 13-15 or 25-31 teams), then you let the teams with the highest TR go through the first round without a fight.

For 13 teams there would be 5 games and 3 teams that go through for free.
14 teams - 6 games
15 teams - 7 games...well, yeah, you understand.

Perhaps...

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2006 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Where should the XFL go?

Here's my idea. Model it fluffwise after the BCS series in American NCAA Football with corporate sponsors and everything! During an XFL cycle... you have four XFL "Qualifiers" for each race.

Then, at the very end of the cycle (right around this time when the FC is wrapped up, launch all 20+ "Real XFLs". It would be large event to keep the specs happy following the FC. With only 4 teams per XFL, the games wrap up quick.

Now for the qualifiers......
-Each coach can only enter 2 qualis per race (COACH.... not teams).
-Qualis are first 16 teams come and it is launched (no starting date)
-Qualis for the "minor conferences" are first 8 to come. (Rotters, stunties, vamps, Ogres)

What this XFL needs from organizers:
-To get the whole cycle in a year..... organizers need to be prepared to announce XFL Qualifier openings weekly. This is best done by picking a day of the week and announcing the openings that day every week.
-Cool title "belts" or other icons to let the qualified teams show off before their XFL bid.

What XFL means:
-XFL winners will have went through a 32 or 64 team tourney over the course of a year. This makes the XFL more rewarding for the coaches who have won it. So far, the XFL has been won by great coaches.

Thoughts?

__Synn
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2006 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn: Shouldn't you be playing your game? Smile

How would you determine the "minor" conferences?
How many teams would be in each qualifier? 4?8?16? I think there is 4, but I don't want to assume.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2006 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech:

XFL Qualifier for major races (16 team KO)
XFL Qualifier for minor races (8 team KO)
XFL (4 team KO)

Boom!

__Synn
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2006 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

4 qualifiers per race = 84 qualifiers.. plus the final..
start it when 16 teams are ready just begs for the delay of doom, we had several XFLs that did not have 16 teams in total, you would require at least 32

imo, this system cannot work timewise, especially if you take into account that you only have about 8 months were no major qualifiers are running, that leaves you with 32 weeks approximatly, thus you would need to run several XFLs every week, which would not only be a huge amount of work and coordination to be done, but will also make the XFL less special

so far the opinion of a man with zero logic..

Jump to: