36 coaches online • Server time: 13:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome everyone to this broadcast of the ELF Supporter’s Phantasmagoria Network – now viewable in High Divination through crystal balls and enchanted mirrors everywhere. I’m Crest Birdman and this is my partner Tome Pratsong. Welcome to you all! Well, Tome, I guess we should begin with the breaking news of big changes afoot?

That’s right, ‘Crooner.’ This sixteenth installment of the ELF sees the first changes to the scoring system in years… including measures to encourage the playing of much more competitive matches.

Wow, Tome – that is some exciting news. I know in recent seasons there has been much debate about what has become known as “cherrypicking” around the league. What moves has the ELF made to minimize the likelihood of coaches arranging these matchups that critics have been saying are patently unfair?

Well, the league has set some basic parameters that must be met in order to receive ‘baseline’ points…

‘Cause in the past baseline points were awarded just for playing the match?

…Yes. Now the opposing coach must have a Coach Rating of at least 155 and the Team Strength differential must be even or in the opponent’s favor. The powers-that-be have really ‘raised the bar,’ so to speak.

Hmmm, interesting. And I’ve also heard that the points for scoring and such and also bonuses have been adjusted – so Tome, how do you see this affecting the scoring from here on out?

Croon, the points awarded for touchdowns and casualties have been halved along with a reduction in the bonus for producing a shutout and high scores. At the same time, the contribution of a win or tie has not changed…

So, excuse me for interrupting, it looks like the intended effect is to make playing baseline matches more attractive?

…Exactly! Now a 2-1 victory against a decent opponent is going to offer just as many, if not more, points than a 5-0 crushing of what could be called ‘weaker’ opposition. It seems like the commissioner is really trying to ‘set the tone’ for the league, so to speak.

And, Tome, in addition to those changes there are other bonus points – and I might add, potentially sizeable points - available for Ranked Tournament play and even forcing a concession!

Correct, Croon. The league looks like it is trying to encourage a variety of play styles with these changes. There are some detractors, but the commissioner has asked coaches to try and find – not only find, but exploit - any loopholes!

Hence the theme of this sweet, sweet season number sixteen, “Breaking Bad!” And not long for the fans to wait either, kickoff is slated for just after Midnight BloodBowl-time February 21st. For Tome Pratsong, I’m Crest Birdman, good night and may Nuffle smile upon your dice.

Duh – du – duh, duh – du – duh.

The #1 MetaGroup on Fumbbl is getting ready to kick off yet another great season!

The league has made some changes to its scoring system for Season XVI and is looking for coaches to put these alterations through their paces! The commissioner really, really wants you to try and "break" or "exploit" the new scoring system to the fullest of your abilities! Make a team that only plays in SFC's, make an all piling-on/dp team to win via the concession, exclusively vulture those 'juicy' 155 CR coaches in even matches, etc... Let's see what kind of results we get and as a community decide if we like what shakes out!

Are you a sub 155 Coach Rating coach? After giving it a try for a season, we want to know if you feel the baseline requirements are a "turnoff" for you.

Do you coach team with a Team Strength higher than 200? After giving it a try for a season, we want to know how difficult it is for you to find "baseline" opponents.

No banners or fluff for doing this - only a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Here are the “final” changes we are using for each match played in Season XVI:

1. Baseline - +10 points.
Rule: In order to receive these points you must play a "baseline" match in which the Team Strength Differential is even (zero) or in your opponent's favor and the opposing coach has a Coach Rating of 155 or higher.

2. Result.
Win - +10 points.
Tie - +5 points.

3. Scoring.
Per TD scored - +1 point.
Per TD allowed - -1 point.

4. Casualties.
Per casualty inflicted - +1 point.
Still no negative modifier for casualties suffered.

5. Bonuses.
Scoring 5 or more Touchdowns - +2 points.
Shutout victory (opponent does not score) - +2 points.
Force opponent concession - +3 points.
Game played in an Official Fumbbl Tournament - +5 points.

After reviewing last season’s results, making some projections and listening to some solid feedback I decided not to do away with the 5-TD bonus. I lowered its value (and that of the shutout) just a bit to keep the overall scores in the range I wanted them and keep a favorite play style viable. Other than that one tweak, it is just as was originally proposed in the E.L.F. Rules Review!

Season XVI: Begins at 12:01 am BBtime February 21st, 2008 and ends promptly at Midnight BBtime March 31st, 2008!

Check out the E.L.F. league page for more information or to join up (with any elf race).

New coaches are welcome!

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Ow, the colours, the colours.

Are we allowed to have two teams in one ELF season?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Plorg

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

Last season I had four teams in ELF (not all of them played but they were on the list).
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Awsome. If Plorg can cheat then I can cheat.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Ow, the colours, the colours.

I thought the colors made it easier to read. Sad

Anyways, you can have as many teams compete in an ELF season as you care to coach. No limit.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

ELF welcomes ten new teams!

1 SillySod [ R] Dead But Don't Know It Yet 180 Dark Elf
2 Lambert [ R] Arden Rangers 162 Wood Elf
3 somertown [ R] Bramble Rose 150 High Elf
4 somertown [ R] Folsom Prison Blues 162 Dark Elf
5 Synn [ R] Rule of Nine 100 Dark Elf
6 koadah [ R] Har Ganeth Ladies 1st XI 162 Dark Elf
7 koadah [ R] Har Ganeth Ladies 2nd XI 198 Dark Elf
8 koadah [ R] Ultimate Bad Assez 139 Dark Elf
9 Kryten [ R] Everything Red 184 Dark Elf
10 Kryten [ R] Horrible Ice Cream Flavors 139 Elf

Happy hunting!

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

We can join with new TR 100 teams at any point in the season right?

pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
We can join with new TR 100 teams at any point in the season right?

Yes, TR 100 can join at any point up until the bitter end. Experienced teams may only join in the 1st two weeks.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Can we change that rule so "new" teams include non-TR100 teams as long as they were created after the start of the season? As you probably noticed i never really got that rule Very Happy

pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Can we change that rule so "new" teams include non-TR100 teams as long as they were created after the start of the season? As you probably noticed i never really got that rule Very Happy

More for the sake of continuity. Don't want a team to join on the last day and "oh by the way, I won the league." Me thinks that would upset more than a few participants.

I do let "old" teams in if they haven't played any matches during the current season before applying. So, there is a small bit of warmth in my shriveled, dark heart.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Tathar and the Dark Elf team Hardcore Synners.

Just about 12 hours till the kickoff of Season XVI!

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yet another team steps up to the plate, Alternative Comedians - High Elves - coached by Gritter.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

In with a new Elf team, going to attempt the sprint while i'm at it!
G_Force

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

i will re read the rules tonight and probably sign up my guys to add a little more point to any games that they do play in the coming weeks

lemf

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2008 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing With the new baseline I think my Fawns will score -50 points this season if they get some games 227/132 FF1 will be hard to find opponents for even matches.
But as ever I look forward to a new season.
 Jump to: