59 coaches online • Server time: 17:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What direction should the E.L.F. take?
Go back to the way it used to be.
19%
 19%  [ 13 ]
Stay the course. Everything is just fine!
19%
 19%  [ 13 ]
Badges, you say... are they shiny?
28%
 28%  [ 19 ]
Will you listen to me for a change!!!
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
The ELF is dead man. Just let it go already.
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 66

Kinks

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2009 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

What he said Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

could you introduce a special bonus for playing against my Dwarf team?
Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

this effort deserves a zany rule like that!
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarven teams are not that hard to beat for elves as their weaknesses are the elven strenghts. CD and Orcs are tougher.
Lomack

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2009 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

thank you Circular - so no objections.....
it makes sense fluff wise Wink
Let's just say I think all Elves are pansies who are scared to play me Wink
lemf

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2009 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Did this finally end?
Or will there be a new season?
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2009 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

New season! Come on pizza! We wants it!

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2009 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

/me agrees with Mr Foulscumm
New Season of E.L.F. FTW!!!

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2009 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
New season! Come on pizza! We wants it!

\o/
eyeslikethunder

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Where is my new season pizza?

There was this disturbance in the water, then suddenly this giant testicle came out and grabbed me
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2009 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

From a Messages thread among the ELF staff:

I've turned my attention back to the ELF this month. I've been putting off and putting off starting a new season because it just wasn't appealing to me in the current format. I was asking clarkin about the limitations of the java program and trying to decide how to proceed. I don't want to let the ELF die so I need to get moving in some direction, any direction.

Here's my most recent idea:

I want to keep the baseline, but turn it into a look at "indicators of competence." My thought is if a team has a Fan Factor above a certain level, or is experienced in Number of Games, or actually looks like the race "should" look (say some players with damage inducing skills - so that playing Chaos with teeth is encouraged over playing brand new Chaos that present no challenge to an elf team).

In this way, the comparison of TS and CR will be thrown away. I think it was pretty effective at limiting the gross cherrypicking that was happening before, but many (myself included) hated looking for games under those conditions... it just wasn't fun for some reason. I want to get back to "look at a team and decide to play." And I want coaches in the ELF to search out interesting and challenging matchups with their favorite elf team instead of "make a brand new team, play the scary teams before they are actually scary, rack up points and call it a day" approach. Really, that kind of league is boring to admin and boring to fluff.

Anyways, it looks like the java program will need to be altered such that when a coach meets one of the baseline criteria, he/she writes "ELF Baseline" in the report for the Java scraper to see it and record the points. That is after it is decided what are some simple "indicators of competence" that a team should meet to get those points - they should be easy, just glance at the team and know kind of numbers.

I'm open for ideas.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2009 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
words

Yaaaaay, pizza is back! Very Happy

I'm mostly going to play ELF in the Box myself, so I'm happy as long as whatever solution is adopted works for both B and R.
eyeslikethunder

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2009 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds interesting pizza

would there be increasing rewards for playing harder teams

so playing 6mb 5 claws and 5 RSC and 10 dirty players get you more points than a team with 1 of each

edit just read the post again ok so it just a baseline. You pass it or not.

how about including bonus points then for extra hard teams
like +1 per player with MB, claw, RSC
+3 for combo of the above
+1 for dirty player
+2 for 2 dirty players
+3 for 3 or more dirty players

maybe some thing for tackle as well
like +1 for every 2 tackle players

This should encourage and reward hard teams played. you could take the dwarf bonus away as would be built in

not sure about fan factor in the baseline. playing a team with high fan factor has it own financial reward

There was this disturbance in the water, then suddenly this giant testicle came out and grabbed me
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2009 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

On the drive into work today, I was thinking about something Rissiej wrote about liking "a sliding scale" for the baseline. And the solution smacked me right upside the head: It's the Fan Factor, stupid!

So, here's what I'm going to do. Baseline points will be given equal to your opponent's Fan Factor going into the game. Fan Factor won't be in the baseline... it WILL BE the baseline.

It's such an elegant solution - I can't think of another measure of how well a team is "gaming" the system. And you can't game a system unless you've got a good grasp of what is going on. It feels right and I know it's the way to go because it has me wanting to dust off my Pro Elves and complete a cycle. And, I love the thought of ELF coaches hunting down pristine teams in tourney "prep" mode and trying to crush them for every point they can muster.

So now I've to to think about how to modify the rest of the scoring around this concept. Here's what I want to see: beating a FF 15 team 2-1 with a couple casualties should yield more points than crushing/picking a new FF 9 team 5-0 with a pile of casualties. I might be able to keep the current scoring structure by dropping the 5 TD and Shutout bonuses.

Help me think this through.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2009 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

ah that is clever so Fan factor workss a multipier

I like it

MadTias

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2009 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
I might be able to keep the current scoring structure by dropping the 5 TD and Shutout bonuses.

I really like the 5 TD bonus in ELF. When I play my ELF team, I always go for 5 TD. When i play "regular" matches, I usually elf-stall for 2-1. So playing the ELF team has a unique feel to it and if possible I'd like to keep it.
 Jump to: