50 coaches online • Server time: 16:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are you looking forward to ELFing on FFB?
Yes!
87%
 87%  [ 71 ]
Depends on how things change.
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
No, never! LRB4 or death!
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 81

pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

E.L.F. vs. FFB

With the re-launch of Ranked now a reality and League on the horizon, the all-important and most-high Council of Elven Folk subcommittee on Promotion of Opponent Diversity has once again turned its attention to all things BloodBowl. And more precisely, to the future of the E.L.F.

Here are the changes I'm planning on making and/or need to get some feedback on:

1. Baseline Scoring. Smaller gates mess up the "1 point for every 10,000 fans" score. Also, the transfer of teams from LRB4 will have the fan factors in a state of flux for a while. I'm going to just set the baseline points awarded to a set number (10) for the time being.

2. Divisions Allowed. Only teams from the new Box, Ranked and (after it transitions to FFB) League will be admitted. Still no Academy. Sorry, no "4" teams either... mainly due to the next change.

3. Categories. Ugh, what a mess. I know I want to maintain five with A offering double points, both to maintain a tradition but also to make altering the Java program as painless as possible for Rijssiej.

I also want to think about making the Categories more Box compatible. Check out [B]lackbox Central and take a look at the racial BWRs and BBRs on the right. My idea is to drop the teams into categories based on a combination of box popularity AND their ability to defeat/damage elves. Then drop them into the categories in "pyramid" fashion...

Category A: 3 teams
Category B: 3 teams
Category C: 5 teams
Category D: 6 teams
Category E: 7 teams

I have no qualms about breaking up the elves across several categories either (instead of leaving them all grouped in Category D like they are now).

So, give my your ideas on which teams go where in this new old-world order!

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

First try on the different Categories:

A Orc, Chaos, Chaos Dwarf
B Dwarf, Necromantic, Undead
C Dark Elf, Human, Chaos Pact, Khemri, Amazon
D Norse, Lizardmen, Elf, High Elf, Wood Elf, Skaven
E Goblin, Halfling, Underworld, Slann, Vampire, Ogre, Nurgle
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Bit odd seeing chaos in cat A and nurgle in cat E. I'd think nurgle might be more of an annoyance against elves.
T_Witch

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm thinking Cats break down as thus from what I've specced, played with and against and from the BWR/BBR

Cat A = Dwarf, CD, Chaos
Cat B = Orc, Nurgle, Pact
Cat C = Undead, Necro, Norse, Khemri, Ogre
Cat D = Dark Elf, High Elf, Amazon, Human, Lizardmen, Vampire
Cat E = Pro Elf, Wood Elf, Goblin, Halfling, Slann, Underworld, Skaven

With the new damage combos on teams and khem and ogre beign mere shadows of the brutes they use to be this seemed the fairest breakdown on the average of these races squishing our elves.
The Fame thing still confuses me a bit so don't knwo what will be a good replacement for the gate points.
For now the Division limitation you stated seems right.

Last thing to ponder...should slann be permitted to compete. Granted their ears aren't pointy. Come to think of it I don't think they even have ears. But they are just as squishy. They just dodge/leap in the opposite order. Yes they get a Krox...but woodies get trees. Or perhaps they deserve a new bracket with humans and rats and such. (hmmm better make a new thread....then I can make a new poll too).

ok made the new forum so this one can stay on track...check it out here...
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19631

Last edited by T_Witch on Feb 13, 2011 - 22:36; edited 1 time in total
Calcium

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I agree with Malkor. MAybe dropping a gate based reward altogether, and just focusing on the win/TD's/CAS's.

Whatever happens, Chaos belong in CAT A. They are the cream of the killer crop as far as I'm concerned right now.....

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really happy to hear about your plans to get E.L.F. up and running again. Really looking forward to participate in the future. Smile

I've not been an elf player so far, so I don't think I can contribute much to the considerations. Malkor's list looks quite fine, but... I personally find Nurgle and Goblin hard to classify:
Nurgle come with the beast and a lot of disturbing presence, won't they be a real nightmare to elves if properly skilled and played?
Goblins have their bomb and chainsaw... wouldn't especially the latter one look terrifying for elves?

I don't really get the Cat E though. I know it was formally called "odd"... Are those the teams that are expected to cause least damage? In that case I wouldn't be so sure about Underworld, since they got mutation access all over the board. I guess we'll see storm vermins built the typical "killer way". And goblins can easily lend assists while the troll can mutate into mostly anything...
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Breaking up the Elves? Well I can see the point of it. That means we don't have to play any other Elf teams.

Only thing is... I tend to find the Elf vs Elf games to be some of the hardest games in the cycle.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Nurgle are probably fairly heavily handicapped by the number of Legacy teams appearing without Prestigors: I would hesitate to base things on performance so far.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2011 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Breaking up the Elves? Well I can see the point of it. That means we don't have to play any other Elf teams.

Only thing is... I tend to find the Elf vs Elf games to be some of the hardest games in the cycle.

I played in the Box. My hardest thing was finding a elf team to play against.

But i liked that all elf teams where in the same category and hope it stays that way. That way you can't get through 2 categories by only playing against elves.

Last edited by Were_M_Eye on Feb 14, 2011 - 01:06; edited 1 time in total
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2011 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

for me the catagories would be:

Cat A: Dwarves, Chaos Dwarves, Chaos Pact, Chaos
Cat B: Khemri, Undead, Orcs, necromantic, Nurgle
Cat C: Norse, Human, Amazon, Vampires
Cat D: Dark Elves, Wood Elves, High Elves, Pro Elves
Cat E: Stunties, Under world, Slann, Skaven, Ogres, Lizardmen

catA: teams that focus on strength skills and loads of tackle
catB: Strength teams (4+ str players teams)
catC: the human category
catD : Elven category
CatE stunties and a few other miscellaneous

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2011 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

What's ELF? Link?

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2011 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Glad you asked. It's a group you can join with any elf team. You play games vs a wide range of other teams to earn points. At the end of a season, teams with the most points get trophies and medals.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=2079

it's the funnest.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2011 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm with arktoris categories. His spread makes most sense to me.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2011 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I like Arks categories. They look quite solid.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2011 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 for Arktoris' spread