42 coaches online • Server time: 15:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Bit of background. For the past couple of months I've been trying to get this team http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=4841 back into a playable condition. They were my first team on FUMBBL, and have a long (if unspectacular) history, so retirement has never been an option.

Unfortunately for them, I have all the match-picking ability of a drunken snotling. Every time I get this lot into a shape that even vaguely resembles a team, I go and play a game or two against heavily bashy sides, which invariably kill/niggle yet more rookie linemen, leaving me with the same 8 or 9 players again.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to avoid making idiotic choices when choosing games? (my best one was playing against a full-strength, claw & MB-laden rotters team with my 8 crippled elves. No prizes for guessing how that one went).

Please save this team, it leads a life of constant pain and suffering simply because it's coach is a moron. Maybe I should fire myself and go find that drunken snotling to arrange my games for me...

EDIT: hmm, my smilies aren't working properly either...

EDIT 2: Thanx to celas for giving my guys a game where they only suffered BHs. Hopefully it'll be the kickstart they need.

Last edited by Azurus on Oct 30, 2004 - 02:34; edited 1 time in total
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Sack the 61 spp lino with the MA-drop asap.
He has no redeeming factors but boosts your TR with 19 points.

Do the same with the unskilled niggler asap.

Your TR will go a lot lower then.
Try playing non-lethal teams coached by people not out to destroy your team.

If that does not work you are out of options. Very Happy
origami

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

He could always retire...

Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

What about this:

EVERYTIME you find a game for your team, read this thread first. It will remind you of your stupid previous errors and prevent further damage... Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2004 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

jan_mattys wrote:
What about this:

EVERYTIME you find a game for your team, read this thread first. It will remind you of your stupid previous errors and prevent further damage... Wink

ooh, clever, I like it!
celas

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2004 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

take a look at my team "Psych Faculty" They play in Dx and I forgot to buy an apoth every other game which has cost me a few times. So I wrote a few reminders in the team bio. You should consider doing the same since you most likely look at your team bio before you play with the team. Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2004 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL Celas, that's a lot of reminders you've got there.

Good Idea, but with your team as an example, might I venture the opinion that it isn't working too well?

Besides, my team bios tend to be massively over-cluttered as it is.

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2004 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're still playing the team, you obviously enjoy the challenge of playing a wounded squad. Playing with a fit team would be much less of a challenge, I say roll with the punches and keep playing those bashy teams. Firing that -Ma lino would probably be a step forward, but he seems to have such character and as a living legend I'd probably keep him around. Just stick to it, if you can keep a wining record with a wounded squad you must be doing something right.
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2004 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Stop playing them and create new teams. Do not retire them. While you are searching games for your new teams, keep an eye at the gamefinder for other damaged teams that would be reasonable chalenge for Shadowland Sabretooths. There are too many teams out there that need recovery games. Before you play, be sure you play against elves without the skills mighty blow, piling on, guard and dirty player.

You can also add to their bio "recovery games only" and put them at the gamefinder.

Good Luck!
Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2004 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

whitey wrote:
Firing that -Ma lino would probably be a step forward, but he seems to have such character and as a living legend I'd probably keep him around.

Yeah, I can't really sack him, even though his MVP hoarding has been a big problem for the team as a whole. Thing is, he's earned every one. Best damage soak I ever had. And one of my best-named players.
celas

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2004 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually wrote them all at once Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2004 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

heh, I think I'll pretend otherwise. More fun that way Laughing

Woot, my smilies are working again Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2004 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with whitey. continue playing them. this is real challenge.do not hide by cherry picking and not hear the others who do so. they're the main reason forEMU existence. it's through real battle that a team develops personnality.
alternat

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2004 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

and what about reading opponent's roster before accept the game?
 Jump to: