65 coaches online • Server time: 21:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rabe

Post   Posted: May 17, 2011 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
I'd be happy to dust off the Faculty of Academy Instructors and welcome such experienced coaches to join.

That sounds cool. If I had time, I'd participate. Maybe some other coaches might join, too?
robocoyote

Post   Posted: May 17, 2011 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

would be willing to help some undead coaches i think im qualified
Gmind

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2011 - 03:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Soooo lost.
I can go spectate games listed under "current games" and a nice little java program launches that let's me see all of them. I imagine this is also a client that would allow me to play the game.

HOWEVER, if I try to play the game I get various problems related to what I take is an outdated downloadable client.
I currently have a recommended match up in Academy with another player, but neither of us seem to be able to start a game.

Can Academy games only be played using the old downloadable client (which I might add, I downloaded, but am having problems with.)

To use the java client that I see when I spectate do I have to skip academy and go to black box? (Unfortunate if true - and if it is true I would kindly, as a newcomer I know, suggest either fixing academy so it can be easily used or just eliminating it - being beaten badly may be a deterrent to new players, but being unable to play the game would be a much bigger one, and academy seems like where a newcomer should start.)
SavageJ

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2011 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Academy uses the old Java BBowl client, Ranked, League, and Blackbox use the new FFB client. Old client = LRB4, new client = CRP as far as rules go.

I would suggest Ranked or League as the places to learn the client, site, and game these days.
Gmind

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2011 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotcha. I suspected as much, but needed the clarification.
As a suggestion to admins (I realize I'm new, but, hey, fresh pair of eyes! Smile maybe steer new players away from academy and/or make that clear.

I don't know what the use stats are, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fair dropout rate from people trying academy and never moving beyond it (more so than ranked, bb, etc.)
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2011 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a little unclear, yes. However you can use the League division for anything you would like to do in academy.

Most likely the problems you were having with the old client was a version mismatch, the last model to be used was 8.9.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2011 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I fully agree that either academy should be switched with priority (as not doing so costs us userbase) or it and references to it be removed altogether (at least until it can be switched). As long as it's there luring new users to old clients, it's doing a disservice to everyone.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2011 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO we should retire all the existing academy teams and switch it over if that makes it easier.

It's still a great division even if it does only have a tiny number of games.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2011 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

This is an old thread, I believe a more modern thread on 'the future of academy' is around somewhere.
 Jump to: