40 coaches online • Server time: 17:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2012 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Both the Elemental and Golem have TTM.

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2012 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

lol totally missed that. well, I still think the Golem suits.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2012 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Aflo, regarding the team name...I'm no expert but I think the Colleges of Magic are where they train wizards to one of the various 'schools' of magic.

But once you're done and have become a full-fledged wizard, the Guild is where you go to seek private employment. I think the fluff surrounding the magic 'broadcast' of BB games is via the Wizard's Guild. I also think the induced wizard is hired from the Guild. (I envision the team Wizards as being understudies to the more powerful Induced variety, who wouldn't be caught dead actually trying to play BB).

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2012 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really like the idea of four guys with stab, bombardier, and hypnotic gaze. Four stabbers is the Forest Goblins gimmick and they also get two Gazers. This team as it is gets four stabbers that are also gazers and bombers to boot. It would beg the question "Why play Forest Goblins when I can play Wiazrds?". Likewise, a big reason to play Gnomes and Horrors are the four bombers. Why play them when Wizards get four bombers that also stab and hypnotitze?

My suggestion is to increase the number of mephits to four and reduce the number of wizards to two and remove stab. Bombardier makes sense on a wizard, but stab doesn't. I know you're using stab to represent a spell, but most people aren't going to get that. Plus, the drawback of having Bombardier is that it is less effective when the bomber is in a tacklezone. Having Stab on a bomber means that if someone moves next to them to add a tacklezone, then the Wizard just stabs them instead of either trying to risk chucking a bomb or dodging away. Bombs are supposed to be high risk/high reward. Having Stab on a bomber negates the risk, but leaves the reward.

I really like the idea of Wizards on a team shooting fireballs at people, but four of them is too many, I think. Actually, if this were my team, I'd just have one Wizard and maybe give him Leader so it becomes that Wizard's team. Maybe add another type of Big Guy. Hell, maybe even four elementals, one of each type, if they all had some kind of big drawback to them (ie. an Earth Elemental with Take Root). In such a case, I'd lower the mephits ST to 1 and give them titchy and probably AV 6. This team's gimmick could be four Big Guys. That sounds better to me than yet another team with four bombers/four stabbers.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2012 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly, love the idea of the roster.

Secondly, not much time, so only quick comments now and more later:

I really don't like the Wizards with VLL. It makes no sense and seems silly (in a bad way.) AG3 and leap works fine for them to show desperate attempts to fly in the middle of a BB game. Essentially they are casting while in combat, so VLL to help them is wrong. I love the idea of them having all of this power (with the skills you gave them), but crapping their pants on field as some Ogre or snotling mob runs them down.

And where have the frogs gone? Sad

More later...

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2012 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

@Sigmar1: I haven't ever come accross any mention of wizard guilds tbh, but then I've not read much of the roleplay material GW has released. As far as I'm aware a youngster is picked up by one of the 8 colleges, trains there until he can be sanctioned by the college and for the most part remains and researches at the college or is hired out by the college's m/patriarch.

@MisterFurious: Hi there, I think the problem with that suggestion, while I'm sure it'd be great for another team would just dilute too much of the feel of the roster. It would be much more an elemental team than a wizard one.

I think the argument 'why play a when I could just play b who do it better' is kinda similar to saying 'humans get 4 blitzers and so do dark elves, so I might as well just play dark elves as they're so much better with all their toys and ag4'. Of course it's not as simple as that and jack-of-all-trades is the humans schtick. Same in this case which is a nice symmetry given they're human wizards.

@WhatBall: Thank you, always nice to know I'm not just insane with this thing.

VLL certainly isn't a given so I don't mind taking it out much, but it was put in to with an eye towards balance than anything else. However, just because they have these spells at their disposal doesn't mean they have to use them every turn so as I say, 3/4+, doesn't make much odds to me.

Toads have been absorbed by the humonculi which are the exact same thing stat wise but the change in name is purely to allow a bit more diversity icon-wise. I'd still like there to be atleast a third toads but ut would be neat having other weird wizard experiments mixed in aswell.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2012 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

So the Homs are just weird experiments? Makes sense.
What are Mephits?

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2012 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Are there any FFB or Stunty teams that have an either or option? I realize your are proposing to go either elemental or golem, not keep both, but I had another thought.

A cool twist to the team would be to allow 0-1 golems (or elementals I suppose), but have variable options.
E.g. A flesh golem at ST4 with no negatratis, or a Bone(stone?) golem with ST5 and maybe WA or BH, and a ST6 iron golem option with RS. As the golems get stronger, the price and AV also goes up, but the MA, AG and reliability frop. Each could have some slightly different starting skills too. Not sure if it is viable though.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2012 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Are there any FFB or Stunty teams that have an either or option?

Gnoblars get to choose 2 out of 3 possible Ogres.
Aflo

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2012 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeh that's basically it. Mephits are small independant deamons summoned in for the match, similar thing for the elemental.

That is a cool idea, I like it. A similar thing could be done for the elementals too, a varient for each of the four. Maybe WA and frenzy for fire, higher AV take root for earth, higher movement less strength (or lack of mighty blow) for air...something along those lines. It would have worked fine in LRB4 the way big guys worked (you often got the choice between say a mino or a troll for instance) so there's a coding precedent though how that meshes with the new client I have no idea.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2012 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I would do that then, pick either Elementals or golems, whichever you feel fits your fluff/team best, and we'll help iron out the 3 or 4 options.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2012 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know...this discussion seems to have taken a turn into unnecessary complexity. The original design called for a single big guy, I offered and alternative vision. Given the options of the Gnoblars I think it would be cool to have the choice between the orignal Elemental or the alternate Golem. The team could be based on Summoners or Artificers.

Any more than that and you may as well create a separate team with its own 'elemental' flavor (which I had put some thought into btw...its just that making true Elementals requires some pretty bizarre stat/ skill combos).

@Aflo: The eight colleges working to together to summon/ create a bloodbowl team doesn't seem very likely, whereas a group of wizards from a single guild coming together seems far more probable. Also, 'Colleges of Magic' just doesn't have a good ring to it (I'm sure one could argue the same for 'Wizard's Guild', and perhaps others could come up with a better name than either of us Smile )

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2012 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are looking for more ideas, I'd suggest you mine this thread for ideas
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12533
Aflo

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2012 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

@PsyPhiGrad: Aha, thought someone must have thought wizard-ey before me. From the looks of things they went down the route of imps over wizards as the mainstay of the team but an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

@Sigmar1 + WhatBall: Hmm, you could be right, it's easy to get carried away with these things. Tell you what, let's just go with the generic elemental or golem idea that Sigmar1 mentioned and then slot in a couple of golem/elemental variants in as star players for the team. I don't know if there's a specific cap on the number of stars we're meant to have but this way we get the best of both simplicity and flavour.

I probably wasn't clear enough with regards to the colleges: each of the 8 colleges is more or less a completely seperate entity and handles all their affairs internally with a headquarters in one of the major cities (or all in Altdorf, can't remember) with enclaves dotted around and hidden from the view of prying peasants. There are hedgewizards and warlocks floating around but secrecy is their watchword as rogue/un-sanctioned wizards tend to get burnt at a stake by witch-hunters pretty swiftly otherwise.

But on the subject of naming 'Colleges of Magic' is too clunky. I'm going to go ahead and alter the name of this thread to just the 'Wizard' team name and then if anyone has any more suitable (and better sounding) names we can decide amongst ourselves which is the best.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2012 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I love this idea & I love the idea of having a choice between diff Golems/Elementals. While everyone's opinions should be respected, one dissenting voice doesn't mean it's a bad idea (multi golems/elementals idea) or to stop brainstorming it. I think it fits fluff wise to a wizard as well since they can summon all types of beings. Keep on keepin' on man!

Jump to: