49 coaches online • Server time: 19:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly; when halflings and Goblins were removed from Stunty, I was quite disappointed. I didn't really understand the reasoning behind it or think it was necessary. For me, these should be the 2 rosters that all the others are based around for balance. I would like to see them put back in.

And if that happens, why not a toned down underworld roster too?

As for a some of the team ideas being bounced around, I'm not that keen. I think, they should fit in with the game world that is established. This is a warhammeresque alternate universe, based around the world of bloodbowl. The races are basicly the same, but it's not quite as dark or serious, also the tech levels are less strictly monitored.

Races in stunty should exist or have existed in this or the standard warhammer universe. I also think that people are looking at rosters that are just too crazy. A standard team with one 'out there' positional, in my opinion is optimal.

So I believe after so many years this mean ideas have been pretty much exhausted.

However, I have a few ideas that could be worked with.

Chaos Familiars. Has anyone ever seen these figures? They were some of the nicest figures ever produced. The 1991 Red catalogue (catalogue 2) page 276 has the range of miniautres that were available, even better still google image searches will show you some that are painted, and how nice they are. If you are unsure what figures I'm talking about, I'm happy to forward some pics.

For those that don't know, Chaos Familiars were little imp like creatures that were connected to sorcerers. The sorcerers would use the imps to harness magical power. A lot of the miniatures, were made to look like a stunted miniature version of the sorcerer he was intended for. The slaanesh sorcerer and familiar are a great examples.

I would love to see these replicated for bloodbowl, they would add a lot of character to the pitch.

Also, flicking through one of my old books, I came across the old 'chaos seesaw'. I thought to myself, I'd like to see this comeback, but..............it'd be too powerful for a standard chaos roster, so how about for stunty? And why not connected to the familiar/imp team of above?

The chaos seesaw was a large obscure and usually lethal contraption to launch players through the air and hopefully landing where intended. It included 2 players (one the bouncer/one the jumper) and the seesaw.

Obviously the rules couldn't be the same as they were for 2nd edition, but quite easy to adapt.

The seesaw would be one player (jumper) and the contraption. With stats something like 0 5 1or2 10. It wouldn't be moved (let's say it's too heavy to move) and if knocked over, it's a hell of a job for the jumper to right it again.

However it has the ability to defend itself (imagine the jumper jumping on the seesaw and bringing the other end up and under the opponents chin!). Bouncers would be normal players with right stuff, the seesaw would of course have TTM. Whether the rest of the team would have right stuff would be have to be determined by balance.

An icon would have lots of character in my opinion. Imagine the seesaw with a fat little imp bouncing on one end. The action icon could have the 'bouncing' imp flying off of the other!

The chaos seesaw would be considered a secret weapon.

Familiars were basicly little demons, so for big guys, bigger demons would fit well.

Lastly and probably not connected, the only other 'stunty' race that I don't think has been done is 'ungors'. Possibly there is room for a beasts of stunty chaos roster?

3rd edition Ungors has a stat line the same as goblins.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a fun idea. Those familiar models were great too. Plenty of classics in those two old catalogues.
I agree about the world background needing to be considered in teams.

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I love those Familiar minis! A stunty team of them would be really cool. Which begs the question...
Where's your suggested roster!? Wink

(p.s. as for Ungors, I know there have been several suggested rosters e.g. this one, but they just never seem to be "whacky" enough to catch interest)
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well my general feeling is, there's a lot of whackiness out there. What stunty needs is some bread and butter teams, to maintain balance. Hence possibly room for the beasts of stunty chaos style teams.

As for the roster for familiars well.......I'm not an expert on stunty balance to create one.

However I would like it nice and simple.

0-1 or 0-2 chaos seesaws
0-16 Familiars
0-2 Greater(ish) demons

Possibly making some of the more noteworthy familiar figures heroes or a positional if needed. Jack o Lantern was one of the great ones.
Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Good call HM, I actually tried to do that that a while ago. I cant remeber what the team was, but out of the familiars I had -

Dismembered Giants Hand which had Grab and TTM which could be pretty funnny.

There was one with wings so Leap for that guy

There was a tiny dragon so that could be bombadier.

then there were a few with Sticks and swords so they could all have stab.

I cant remeber the rest.

But it would be nice to see them on the pitch.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

mouse gets it...

--j

ImageImage
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I went to create a stunty team today and found that there are 15 races already.
15 seems fine to me. Are you hoping that maybe someone things of something great or do you have a target number in mind?

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

i don't really have a target number in mind...i wouldn't be opposed to matching the amount in the rulebook..what, 23 races?...but i'm not going to add a bunch for S&G's just to match that....the roster still has to fit and be appropriate...

--j

ImageImage
the_cursed_one

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

just not allowed mini khemri Very Happy
jimimothybodles

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2012 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

maybe your "greater(ish) demons" could be the sorcerors instead.

...and the familiars are all playing bloodbowl and being judged as to who will make it into a Warhammer army?

just for fluff.

Aflo

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2012 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the one of the biggest things is making the roster have a distinctive play style to it. Playing goblins with different icons would get old pretty fast.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2012 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Aflo wrote:
I think the one of the biggest things is making the roster have a distinctive play style to it. Playing goblins with different icons would get old pretty fast.

Well play style is a coaching thing, everything has a distinctive style in the right hands, so that's hard to work with.

My problem with some of the ideas, is having a playstyle at all.
PsyPhiGrad

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2012 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

A look through the vault brought up this team roster:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12533

Here are my ideas for doing the Dark Familiars using the 0-4 approach.

"Imp": The teams blitzer with horns and tail. (naturally using the imp mini)
Basic Imp MA:5 ST:2 AG:3 AV:7 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff , Horn, Tail (AGILITY)
Mayhem Imp MA:5 ST:2 AG:3 AV:7 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Horn, Tail (AGILITY. GENERAL)
More Mayhem Imp MA:5 ST:2 AG:3 AV:7 Skills: WIld Animal, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Horn, Tail (AGILITY. GENERAL)
More Unique Imp MA:5 ST:2 AG:3 AV:7 Skills: Stunty, Right Stuff, Horn, Tail (GENERAL)

"Golem": The battle/bodyguard familiar probably with the fluffy Stand Firm (beastling, mannequin, armoured mite mini)
Basic Golem MA:3 ST:2 AG:1 AV7 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Thick Skull (STRENGTH)
Mayhem Golem MA:3 ST:2 AG:1 AV7 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Stand Firm, Thick Skull (STRENGTH)
More Mayhem Golem MA:3 ST:2 AG:1 AV7 Skills: Bonehead, Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Stand Firm, Thick Skull (STRENGTH)
More Unique Golem MA:3 ST:2 AG:1 AV7 Skills: Stunty, Right Stuff, Thick Skull (STRENGTH)

"Familiar": A classic fetching familiar maybe with the fluffy Sure Hands (scroll bearer, lune, jack-o-lantern)
Basic Familiar MA:6 ST:1 AG:3 AV:6 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff (AGILITY)
Mayhem Familiar MA:6 ST:1 AG:3 AV:6 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Sure Hands (AGILITY)
More Mayhem Familiar: MA:6 ST:1 AG:3 AV:6 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Sure Hands, NOS (AGILITY)

"Homunculus": The power familiar imbued with the Sorcerer's intelligence and magic perhaps with magic inspired Strong Arm (walking book, bird thing, mystery imp minis)
Basic Homunculus MA:4 ST:2 AG:3 AV:6 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Strong Arm (AGILITY, PASSING)
Mayhem Homunculus MA:4 ST:2 AG:3 AV:6 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Strong Arm, TTM (AGILITY, PASSING)
More Mayhem Homunculus MA:4 ST:2 AG:3 AV:6 Skills: Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Strong Arm, TTM, Always Hungry (AGILITY, PASSING)
More Unique Homunculus MA:4 ST:2 AG:3 AV:6 Skills: Stunty, Right Stuff, Strong Arm (PASSING)

with this as the "final roster"

Dark Familiars
Qty Title Cost MA ST AG AV Skills & Traits Allowed Skills
0-4 Imp 50000 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff , Horn, Tail A
0-4 Brute 40000 3 2 1 7 Stand Firm, Stunty, Right Stuff, Thick Skull S
0-4 Familiar 40K 6 1 3 6 Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Sure Hands, NOS A
0-4 Homunculus 40K 4 2 3 6 Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Strong Arm A, P

Star Player
Name Cost MA ST AG AV Skills & Traits
Wizbang - - - - - TTM

Re-roll counter: 60 K
Apothecary: Yes
Wizard: Free

I'm a big fan of the team concept, but definitely think a better roster could be created. Especially by adding the see-saw.
Aflo

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2012 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="harvestmouse]Well play style is a coaching thing, everything has a distinctive style in the right hands, so that's hard to work with.

My problem with some of the ideas, is having a playstyle at all.[/quote]

To a degree sure, but dwarves play very differently to wood elves, wood elves to slann, slann to chaos. You can attempt to play chaos with a passing game or bashy elves but the vast majority of players will play the roster precisely in the direction the roster is geared towards. One of the best things about BB is that playing one of the aforementioned factions feels exactly like it's in keeping with the background and the vibe of those factions.

My point still stands that multiple rosters that are minor variations on a theme is just dull.
 Jump to: