32 coaches online • Server time: 01:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rabe

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2012 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone,

BB7s (a league where you play with only 7 players on the pitch, without team re-rolls and a restricted inducement selection) a given a new ruleset and new team rosters for almost all races. Some address the new client options, some are done independently but all aim for improving the BB7s experience. While I'm well aware that there'll always be those who are disappointed and don't like all or particular changes, I hope for the vast majority, it makes BB7s more attractive and gives more incentive to play.

The rules and roster overhaul is based on past feedback rounds (major issues stated back then have been addressed) and PM discussions in several groups (all coaches, the staff, the Council, a testing group etc.).

However, the current version is also the result of a vision I developed for BB7s rather suddenly. Therefor and as a result of lacking time and man-power, I decided to publish it in beta state, open to changes. BB7s are still up and running, just /join #BB7s on IRC and get yourself a game to try the new stuff! (Bring some patience though, there hasn't been much activity in the past months.)

Since the new client options are not yet available, important parts of the changes can not be implemented yet. In one case there's a clarification how to deal with the rule in the meantime, in the other cases, we just have to wait for the options to be supported by the site (which will eventually happen, as Christer has stated).

So, what are the major changes?
  • Teams can now have more than 7 players, though for the core team, this is still the limit in most cases. Additional players are two journeymen that can be used as subs and up to two mercenaries bought with free inducement money (Petty Cash is still forbidden). Once the client option becomes available, only seven players can be set up for the kick-off.
  • Almost all teams have more options which positionals to use, however, an overall limit of four positionals per team is implemented. This should allow far more creativity in team creation, be it for fluff or diverging tactics/strategies.
  • Only two players have to be set up on the LOS for kick-off.
  • Fouling gets stronger, Piling On nerfed.
  • A new draft system will be installed, that only effects tournaments (and other forms of formalized competition). Open play is not effected by drafting anymore. Basically players get drafted (i.e. have to be retired) after a tournament if they received an MVP award and fulfill some criteria individually set for that particular competition. There's also the small chance that a player gets drafted right away.

For a complete review, go here:

For reports or impressions on how things work with those changes/innovations, please use the following thread:

This thread is the right place for general feedback, questions and discussion. Bring it on! Smile

(More news on competitive play will follow during the next weeks.)

~Rabe

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2012 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

7) Additional players gained during the match (for example raised players or FUMBBL birthday zombies) can be used freely. The team has to be brought back into the limits of the rules after the match though, if necessary.

This rule seems to mean that you can play with more than 7 to me, with those extra players. Maybe you should clarify that "freely".

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2012 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You're right, in the current situation it might be misinterpreted. As soon as the client allows to set up no more than 7 players, it shouldn't be a problem.

I added a clarification though, hopefully it's clearer that way! Smile

----

I tried to include the general 0-4 limitation into the amazon's roster. Do you like it or does it only add to the confusion?

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2012 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds great rabe.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2012 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you going to kick this thing off with a tournament? That would get interest peaked. Maybe some prizes?

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2012 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course I will. Smile Right now it's more like an open testing phase (though the teams can carry over into normal and competitive play later on, so one can benefit from playing now.

The first event will be announced as soon as the client option become available for tournaments (and there'll be a prize as well).

I might introduce an new, relatively open form of competition - the racial championships - before that, though this is more a thing for fairly developed teams (another good reason to play and build up a team now though... should probably give some more information on that soon).

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2012 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
As soon as the client allows to set up no more than 7 players, it shouldn't be a problem.

But aren't there some rosters (flings, ogres?) that may actually field > 7?
Rabe

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2012 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Not anymore. Ogres were (explicitly) allowed to field 8 players, the other stunties only got a sub (as they still do in addition to those two optional journeymen).

Sacrificing the ogres' advantage seems a small price to me for the improvement of having the fielded players limited to seven by the client and therefor being able to allow subs for everyone. Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 15:50
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played 7s yet, though I really want to get involved. My question is based entirely off obervation rather than playtesting, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Teams are limited to a core of 7 players, plus 2 journeymen. As 7s doesn't allow re-rolls Journeymen aren't such a disadvantage. FUMBBL still requires people to make teams of 11 players, and the new client (once in operation) allows you to limit the number of players fielded to 7.

Why not then make all teams 11 man? They have the 7 linemen-type plus 4 positionals. Teams could be created straight away and play games without having to concede to a dummy or have men in the end zone. In game play, teams would have a full 7 men on the field more often making for a more competitive game (even if it is 7 linemen), and it would allow for tactical substitutions once players started getting skills and such. It seems like it would take a lot less book-keeping, fiddling around and administering to implement, making your life easier too Razz

Maybe my question is silly and I'm overlooking something obvious, but I wanted to ask

The new rules look great and I look forward to playing. I did like the old draft system but the new one sounds good too. Maybe a combo?

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
stej

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, 11 man teams ftw!
SavageJ

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The point of making the bench journeymen is that they never skill, unless you have an opening and hire them to make them a roster player.

Also, Team Rerolls aren't allowed on the roster, but 7s teams live and die by rerolls from KO events and the Leader skill, so Loner still matters.
Dan-Da-Man

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:

Maybe my question is silly and I'm overlooking something obvious, but I wanted to ask

Erm its called BB7's for a reason want to play 11 men play normal blood bowl Smile
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 17:22
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SavageJ wrote:
The point of making the bench journeymen is that they never skill, unless you have an opening and hire them to make them a roster player.

Also, Team Rerolls aren't allowed on the roster, but 7s teams live and die by rerolls from KO events and the Leader skill, so Loner still matters.

Yeah, I can understand the value of Leader and KO re-rolls so Journeymen aren't great, but my question was more why do you want the subs to be unskilled? If every team was 11 players, they'd all have 4 subs. Skill on subs are sometimes seen as TV bloat in a system where TV matters so people may not skill the subs anyway but the option would be there. All teams would have 11 available players at all times, whether journeymen or rostered and it'd make all out-of-match stuff and interaction with the FUMBBL site generally smoother. The client limiting fielded players to 7 seems to provide an ideal time to go with something like this

Dan-Da-Man wrote:

Erm its called BB7's for a reason want to play 11 men play normal blood bowl Smile

Well, either you're being ironic or I think you missed the point Razz
stej

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have some reserves to call on the game will be 7v7 for longer so even more funs Smile

Power to the bench warmers!
noobie2k7

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

what about 11 man teams. Allowing to hire as many positionals as you want but you can only field 4 at a time. So it leads to more tactical play and putting out the right positionals for the right situations.