11 coaches online • Server time: 05:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

In this match: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3437398
on turn 8th of the 2nd half I passed the ball to an empty square near my Slann catcher in order to make an easier pass (3+ instead of a 4+).
I rolled a 3, so it was accurate, then I rolled a 2 for the Diving Catch and the catch failed.
It should have been successful, or am I wrong?
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 17:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Presumably it doesn't count as accurate if it's not 'to' the player, even though it was accurate for where it was aimed. That's just a guess, and whether that's correct or not by the rules I dunno. I'd guess it is though, it sounds right.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
eldritchfox

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The diving catch is made at normal ag. So an ag4 player needs a 3+
the_Sage

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

That's how I'd interpret it as well. +1 to catch an accurate catch to you, or allowed to try and catch a ball landing in a free adjacent square (without a +1). However I guess that technically, by the rules it should be a 1+ (Ag4, accurate pass, + diving catch).
PainState

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

the +1 for catching a accurate pass is applied if you throw the ball to the actual player. Thus a diving catch never gets the +1 on accurate pass inless you throw the ball to the player with DC.

SO

+1 to catch an accurate pass thrown to him

+0 to catch a pass that bounces to him, lands next to him and he uses DC to make an attempt ETC.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

you needed a 3+ to catch that ball.
Ag4 = need a 3+
To compare, an accurate pass to that player's square
Ag4 = 3+, +1 diving catch, +1 accurate pass = need a 1+

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules do indeed say "...an accurate pass targeted to his square."

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies!
I ever thought that your interpretation of the rule was correct, but this discussion on Cyanide's forum misled me:

http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1916&start=10

please check mine and Darkson's and Dode's posts there.
Darkson claimed that Diving Catch adds the +1 modifier according to Galak:

"Post by Darkson ยป 18 Oct 2012, 14:48

Matt, I know you read TFF, so you'll find the thread there, but it has been confirmed by Galak that it does.
If/when I next fire up the main PC I'll copy/paste the relevant bits (can't at powder as on my tablet ).

But it's because DC allows you to catch catch in adjacent as if it was your square, so if it was accurate in the square adjacent to you, it's accurate when you catch it. The bit you quoted above is a extra +1 given for catching an accurate pass in the square the DC is in, so +2 overall."

If Darkson is right then the FUMBBL's client has implemented the rule wrong.
I'd like to see an official reply somewhere.
andr_e

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Throwing rules
[...]If the final modified score equals or beats the required roll, the pass is accurate[...]

Diving Catch (Agility)
The player is superb at diving to catch balls others cannot reach and jumping to more easily catch perfect passas. The player may add 1 to any catch roll from an accurate pass targeted to his squadre. In addition, the player can attempt to catch any pass, kick off or crowd throw-in, but not bouncing ball, that would land in an empty square in one of his tackle zones as if it had landed in his own square without leaving his current square. A failed catch will bounce from the DC player's square. If there are two or more players attempting to use this skill then they get in each other's way and neither can use it.

Overhamsteren wrote:
The rules do indeed say "...an accurate pass targeted to his square."

The rules also say that you have to consider player's tackle zones as his own square when attempting to catch a pass, so theoretically you have both accurate pass +1 and DC+1 to the catching roll
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't think you can claim the DC+1 since the ball wasn't targeted at his square but I guess the accurate+1 is fair game.

This will make slann totally overpowered!!!!

MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Please read this post written by Galak:
http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34991#p619487
I should have had the +1 modifier for the accurate pass, so the client is implementing wrongly the Diving Catch rule (and I should have won my match).
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
(and I should have won my match)

Very Happy

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the rule is that DC is fine for catching the ball in an adjacent square, but you only get +1 to the catch if the destination square is the catcher. That's what Galak's post linked infers, but now not what Matt thinks?

The short version; I think Darkson is wrong, and the FUMBBL client right, both according to my understanding and Tom's post? I'm not sure Matt is being very clear?

(I actually had this debate in a Slann off in a TT tournament, and we played the way Darkson thinks according to that post, then we read the rules afterward and decided we were wrong... I think this is one of those things I've looked at too long and now can't decipher. Smile)
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

If it was +1 on any accurate throw to any square that would be within range of diving catch player, that would actually make diving catch a lot better than it is.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

In the match I linked I rolled a 2 for the catch, so I would have caught it with the +1 modifier for the accurate pass (as Galak confirmed in the post).
So the client is implementing badly the rule.
 Jump to: