67 coaches online • Server time: 22:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 13:24
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Players.

I'm re-purposing this recruiting thread to become the main Grind thread. Any questions, comments, skill choice dilemmas, announcements - anything to do with the league can go in here.

Grind IC Thread

Grind Group page

Original OP below.
Quote:
Hi FUMBBL Folk!

I'm recruiting for a new and very different league.

Grind is a league that focuses on fluff, team building and positional play. Skills are limited on certain player types, team composition is varied and re-rolls have to be earned through hard work.

There's already been some interest and I only need about 8 coaches to kick it off, though more are welcome. When I've got some numbers I'll discuss play schedule and finalize the fluff base for the league.

Anyone interested comment here or send me a PM

Thanks

Josh

Last edited by mister__joshua on Oct 01, 2014 - 15:43; edited 6 times in total
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I have read through the rules, and wonder if it is based on fluff, or is there any mechanical consideration? I don't see the latter.

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Quite like the skill prerequisite ideas. Don't know that I can commit to another league (particularly one in the wrong timezone;) but I'll be keeping an interested eye on this one!

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Since Block can only be attained after the 2nd skill up, how are Dwarves not far overpowered here? A Fend/DP spam Dwarven team should beat mostly anything into a pulp.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you need both stand firm and movement 5+ to take block or just one of them?

But yeah seems dwarves are pretty golden here with no rerolls and starting with block. They even have starting access to a block+frenzy player which is otherwise banned and they also start with tackle which is superhard to get.

Their biggest challenge is probably the rule about only 8 players on the pitch. And orcs, imagine having 8 rookie dwarves go up against troll, 4 black orcs and 3 blitzers, that is a lot of strength.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 17:53
FUMBBL Staff

bghandras wrote:
I have read through the rules, and wonder if it is based on fluff, or is there any mechanical consideration? I don't see the latter.

There is of course a lot of mechanical consideration. I don't know how you would 'see' it, but it's definitely there. Each rule has to be considered as a whole with all the others rather than in isolation such as:
Rog wrote:
Since Block can only be attained after the 2nd skill up, how are Dwarves not far overpowered here? A Fend/DP spam Dwarven team should beat mostly anything into a pulp.

Overhamsteren wrote:
Do you need both stand firm and movement 5+ to take block or just one of them?

But yeah seems dwarves are pretty golden here with no rerolls and starting with block. They even have starting access to a block+frenzy player which is otherwise banned and they also start with tackle which is superhard to get.

Their biggest challenge is probably the rule about only 8 players on the pitch. And orcs, imagine having 8 rookie dwarves go up against troll, 4 black orcs and 3 blitzers, that is a lot of strength.

I considered Dwarves a lot before allowing them into the league. I don't think dwarfs will be overpowered because:
- Runners can't take Block without first rolling a double (and to answer overhamsteren: yes skills require all prerequisites be met unless it says or)
- Guard can't be selected until the 3rd skill on a player
- Might Blow can't be selected without +stats
- It's only 8 a side and dwarfs are slow in a league with quicker teams

As I said, things can't be considered in isolation. Humans and Orcs will both have 4 block players in their starting 8, while dwarfs will have 6 or 7. Also, I think a fending dwarf team would be interesting even if they are a strong option.

Overhamsteren considered it well, you have to think opponents. Orcs will also be strong, and will have some mighty blow. Elves and humans will both have multiple movement 8 players and a throwing option in a reduced players game.

While until the league is running it's hard to know exactly how things will work out, I have carefully considered each rule now and how it will affect the league in future.

Thanks for any interest
Josh
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 18:58
FUMBBL Staff

Luohghcra wrote:
Quite like the skill prerequisite ideas. Don't know that I can commit to another league (particularly one in the wrong timezone;) but I'll be keeping an interested eye on this one!

Its a shame its out of timezone for you, but thanks for the interest. I'm hoping once a few are involved it'll grow to accommodate more players and timezones.

Interest from 5 now. Ideally 3 more but any number welcome. Smile
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I don't see the advantages of the mechanical decisions.
- Wont achieve diversity, as players are railroaded
- Don't see any balance between races
- BB7s experience says dwarven are not weak in such scenario
- Complicated to track all the rules
- Winning the kickoff toss is usually game, as 5 blocks can eliminate lots of players, and 8 wins vs any 6.
Of course those are my opinion.

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 20:33
FUMBBL Staff

Thanks for your opinion.

You've decided you don't like it, which is fine, but you say you see no advantages to decisions based on your seemingly made up idea of what I'm trying to achieve.

The premise of the league is to provide something different and fun, with a basis set on fluff and team-building. Mechanics such as making players choose certain skills before others isn't an attempt to diversify, but rather to make team building important. Players have to plan the skills their players are working towards. The games played requirement for purchasing re-rolls makes it more likely people will keep hold of older player, even if injured.

BB7s experience isn't really valid as the skill restrictions affect what the dwarfs can do. Without mighty blow or guard they aren't likely to destroy an opponent on turn 1, no more so than anyone else anyway.

The rules really aren't that complicated to track. With a small number of coaches I'm happy to do this all on my own Smile

Balance between races is there as always. How are the races less balanced than in regular bloodbowl? Elves are the only ones without 4 blockers, and they have fast catchers and ubiquitous ag4, humans have good options with speed and hitting. Orcs are the only teams with multiple high str players (and thus mighty blow). I think the teams are quite well balanced actually, on paper at least. It's hard to tell without playing a few games. I chose teams that have varied positionals to increase building options.

Hope that answers your questions

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
DeZigma

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it is very interesting story. Something in between of what i would prefer. Means, ...

[*] skills has to be purchased by cash
[*] mixed-teams roasters

Last edited by DeZigma on Jan 03, 2014 - 22:23; edited 1 time in total
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the concept of thinking far out of the box. I'd join within a second if I could afford it. Maybe later this year. Smile

Best of luck and tons of fun!

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

In with High Elves. Team will follow.

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting thoughts mister_joshua, why is the line of scrimmage minimum 4 players?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 23:40
FUMBBL Staff

Cool. Thanks. Hold of on making the team for now, I'll pm everyone shortly.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 23:49
FUMBBL Staff

Overhamsteren wrote:
Interesting thoughts mister_joshua, why is the line of scrimmage minimum 4 players?

Just to be different really. Arena football (the real life sport) is played 8 a side with a 4 man line of scrimmage, and I liked the idea. I wanted to change anything that would make people think differently Smile

As with some of the other rules, if it proves problematic (too strong for bash) then it will be reviewed.

So, are you in? We have 8 now \o/. More are always welcome!
 Jump to: