15 coaches online • Server time: 03:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Box intervals should be hourly in offpeak?
Yes
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
No
72%
 72%  [ 60 ]
Don't care
21%
 21%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 83

Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I really can't agree with Frankenstein. We seem to be the polar opposites on many issues. Personally I think Chainsaw was spot on.

It's an issue most of us are clear cut on, naturally we fall one side of the line or the other. Either a player is responsible for his actions or the rules are.

Little point in debating it I think. You either think one way or the other.

I honestly don't want to appear rude or offensive in any way, but constantly invoking the "spirit" of the game, some kind of community responsibility or other voodoo stuff to account for well-known flaws (not technical bugs) instead of properly fixing the underlying issues reveals a huge lack of elementary knowledge about the principles of sound game design.

It hasn't got anything to do with the way how I, you or anyone else thinks.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2014 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Where have I been anti 'fixing' the problems? I'd like Christer to go ahead with his box fixes. I'm reticent about it, as is he, because of the amount of coaches that are adamant to sticking to CRP. The amount of coaches that felt that way surprised me, and because of that, it's difficult to predict whether the changes will do more good than bad.

This point of abusing the game has nothing to do with the spirit. I find your lack of faith disturbing. Do not underestimate the power of the spirit. The ability to destroy a division is insignificant next to the power of the spirit of the game.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
But doesn't Blackbox see more games and more inducements now? I daresay that (more) games with higher TV-gaps haven't been an improvement for halflings and goblins exclusively.

There has been further reduction of games since the changes. Big gaps between highest and second highest TV team can be an issue (for the second highest).
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Get us the dirty trick cards!
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:
But doesn't Blackbox see more games and more inducements now? I daresay that (more) games with higher TV-gaps haven't been an improvement for halflings and goblins exclusively.

There has been further reduction of games since the changes. Big gaps between highest and second highest TV team can be an issue (for the second highest).

Probably depends on whether the biggest team is a CPOMB killer or not.

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 04:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It also makes Ogres from massively difficult to do ok with to near impossible. Go up against a much higher tv team that has claw and you get wiped out rather quick. But then again not many others using Ogres..

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

As a side note I just now got drawn against Smallkosp with my Pro Elves. Could we use our ag to our advantage? (Pro Elves can actually do well in box, though mine lack strength double skills). After waiting for 5 mins to start we were rewarded for this challenge by snaking a handoff first turn and suffering a rip in their first turn! As you can imagine despite being given repeated shots at the carrier it was basically much chance of an interesting match over and there was no coming back. The 4 minute turns and no chat in such circumstances are rather tedious. Depressingly slow for someone who plays so much. We fouled out his clawpomber but alas just a badly hurt (which was apo'd despite being 2nd half). But mostly we live to fight another day. On topic I think 1 hour draws would suit Smallman as he can fit in games of almost 2 hours every 2nd draw. Very Happy For everyone else it is a dreadful suggestion, even with the very quiet west NA evenings.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 06:24 Reply with quote Back to top

theres actually a contingent of players just going with ogres right now. It's pretty interesting to watch. I think its like 3 or 4. A new guy joined who im scheduled against in box but he is playing a ton in ranked (at my exclusion of that box game damnit). Regardless he's doing just ogres. Ogres seem like an itch that a few coaches need to scratch
LordShamrock

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Employing a gaming style that is known and acknowledged to push players away and then complaining that there is no one to play against is not very bright at all imo
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Either that or a pretty succesful stab at trolling!

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

LordShamrock wrote:
Employing a gaming style that is known and acknowledged to push players away and then complaining that there is no one to play against is not very bright at all imo

This haha
C3I2

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

oh, reducing the trading frequence to increase liquidity in a market is fairly standard. It also works, but that is assuming the "trades" need to go trough, if they dont, volume drops quite a bit.

Success looks a bit like this:
Less box games played
More players in each draw

So, if you´re already at a place were the total numbers is so low on the draws that they wont execute, you really do not have anything to lose. I would recomend every whole hour, and the important part is that ppl actually know it is that way.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

how is success defined as less box games played? LOL Oh You
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I know there might be problems with afk, but its a pity we cant have matching system that continually just waits for n coaches to activate before matching them, rather than every 15 mins. Say require at least 5 unique coaches and 10 unique teams, or some such. This would help in less active timezones.

Oscar Wilde
Bobs

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2014 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
Seems to be roughly an 8 hour window every day where the box will only trigger maybe 2 times. I'd imagine this window would get heaps more games if it was able to be programmed to only trigger on the hour during this time.

No we just know your around so we go to ranked instead.

And if 3 coaches activate at the hour and someone comes in at 10 mins past, everyone waits for 1 hour to try again ?? nah-uh

Jump to: