32 coaches online • Server time: 09:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kam

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Communication. Was the level of advertising about right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?

As a spectator, I was a bit confused. Generally, when I watch tournaments, I can easily know what's going on and if it's a game that matters or not by looking at the tournament page. With the RTTNAF, I was clueless. I heard something about a final a few days ago, then I saw matches between rookies (nothing pejorative in my words)...

KO tournament finals are well advertised - the RTTNAF could have used some graphical hints on the game page, like bolding the title of the top teams' matches, but that would probably be a pita to code. I could also spend more time on IRC and hope someone advertises the important matches. Wink

Quote:
Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day over a weekend)?

Tough call. In a perfect world, yes, I would. If I'm not committed to do something else already, like working. Very Happy

I definitely could take a few days off for a RL event, whether it's BB or something else, but for an internet event... I'm less likely to do so.

However, that would remind me the instant SMACKS - oh... that gives me an idea...

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Weekly rounds was too long. Not sure exactly how you should organize it, but my guess is that people getting into a tourney, could be willing to finish it in a weekend even, if not in a day.

2. Communication was very good. Seemingly spot on. And it's brilliant that you also drew new coaches to the site, as well as necroing some old ones.

3. I must honestly admit I didn't enjoy the tournament. Having lost the first game I knew I had no chance at the 1st place, so the 5 other games became a bit of a chore. The format also wasn't appealing. Blood Bowl for me (and you can of course think otherwise) is about building players, rosters, fluff, history, and the nerve of your ageold pixels being in danger. This format has none of that. I don't know much about this NAF-thingy, but I hope there are better formats on offer later. This was just rookie players failing stuff, and a stage of team development I usually try to get by as soon as possible.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
SzieberthAdam wrote:
ICommunication:
Good and bad. How came Joemanji misteriously lost the Stunty Cup?

Joe conceded in his round 6 game when he felt the result was beyond him (and hence incurred a penalty that knocked him out of contention). As NAFC organiser, it's better the prize go elsewhere, anyway. So, not mysterious, but I concede not immediately obvious. Wink

Thanks for the info, and congrats to Zed! Was an A++ tourney, you made a good job guys!

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Yes a week per round is probably the best option. I would be happy to play the regular TT 3 games per day limited only by it being a suitable date. I suspect it would be more difficult for the majority of Fumbblers.

2) One PM per round is perfect so long as no one replies to it of course!

3) Enjoyed it even though the results were not as good as I would have liked! But if you don't enjoy why would you play?

4) Sorry no.

This is a great way forward for both table top players & Fumbblers alike. Probably the best improvement for Fumbbl since the new client.

Table top tournament games are still great fun & hopefully this initiative will benefit them by attracting more Fumbblers to table top.

I would like to see other formats, different skill choices or team values etc. Things that are difficult to organise on table top but are easy for the client to handle. And, as has been mentioned as many statistics as you can think of.

How about a progression tournament like the Albion coast cup? I am sure lots of Naf players have never tried that before?

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

As Both tt and fumbbl player I really liked the tournament. I took on the stunty challenge to have (hopefully) a chance to the first place up to the last round (which happend but did not really go as well as i hoped for.

The format is as mentioned optimal for real life, or if you can still win after a tie (up to 50 players or so)

I am looking forward to the following formats:

1. Speed freaks challenge, game time 1 hour 15 min, 4 games from 19:00 til midnight, or whenever 6-16 players are ready, like a smack.

2. Ressurection is made for OPEN ROUND ROBIN. Everyone plays everone in 2 months, leagues of 10. No dodging since ressurrection and no advantages with lucky skill ups. Mano a mano, best player (dice) wins.

3. Is it already the case now that we can play each other with any given teams in that format? I guess there will be a lot of trying out teams / setups before going through the hassle of painting a team and beeing stuck with the same setup for 6 games.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Week way too long, whole tourney in week or weekend much better
2) Spam mail every week works
3) No. Didn't win & lost chance of winning with 1st draw so no fun playing rest of the tournament. Since it's online tournament the fun factor isn't as high as when doing TT tourney. Basically losers out system would work out and if not power of 2 amount of teams the last round might be 3-way double elimination tourney with teams left.
4) Don't really care about NAF. So whatever.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

1) It worked given the number of players and the general difficulties of scheduling matches online.

2) Comms were good and helpful.

3) It was a nice change of pace from progression play here, and it was fun seeing some of the creative builds. On the other hand the whole 'not being in contention and having to play matches anyway' thing did make the odd game feel like a chore, as various others have said.

Overall I think it's awesome that the powers that be on FUMBBL made it happen technically and that the NAF peeps hosted it. I would definitely be interested in future non-progression tourneys.
mubo

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think I'm adding much to what has already been said, but here goes...

Communication was great. Nice to see it the NAF newsletter, and there was a good amount of forum threads and blogs.

A week was fine, I did find it difficult on the couple of occasions where an opponent didn't get back to me within a couple of days. Perhaps saying the default time is 9pm on a Wednesday might be helpful? Or some more flexible way of scheduling without exchanging 4 PMs. I don't think I'd play a weekend tourney. Maybe 2/3 games in an evening.

I appreciate people find it frustrating to be out of the running after game 1, but as a TT player that didn't bother me so much. I'd be interested to see how a golf cut works on FUMBBL though, that's a nice idea. I treated it as TT practice after game 1, which to me at least is worthwhile. This is also partly down to the size of the tournament too, a 40 coach tournament can be won on 5-0-1.

I think the -ve points for concessions did affect the Swiss a bit too much. I ended up playing Topper, when he had a much better record, although that was my favourite game of the tourney. Maybe save concession penalties until the end? Or even not have them? No-one is going to win with a concession on their record right?

Would be nice if the games took more prominence on the gamefinder page.

All in all though, it was a fantastic event and I hope to see more like it in the future. I'd love to play one off games of this format. Huge congrats to the organisers and the winners. PPP was a highlight, delighted to have been featured in one.
Ebenezer

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play
a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day
over a weekend)?

Yes and no: if the staff plans to run a tournement and,
only after this is completed, start another one, I think
one week per match is ok, but, different kind of
tournements may be possible, something like:

-hardcore mode: 3 games per day over a week end
-sunday mode: 3 games (like 1day naf tournements)
-naf addicted mode: 3 games on sunday, 2 on tuesday and
the last one one thursday
-normal mode: 1 game per week
-relaxed mode: 1 game every 10 days.

So you can have multiple tournements running at the same
time, of course you join each one with different teams

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about
right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to
letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?

Communication was perfect

3. Did you enjoy yourselves? If so why (and if not, why not)?

Yes, absolutely! Six games of pure, competitive blood bowl

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO who is interested in
partnering with us in the future to run a sister online
event (with or without physical prizes)? As we look to
fill our tournament pipeline, we’d like to partner with
events from across the NAF world.

No sorry
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a lot to say about this, except "hey, this was great, looking forward to the next one" except:
Purplegoo wrote:
3. Timezone concerns.

Any plan to group coaches by TZ should really make an effort to allow coaches to select their "region" rather than having it determined by actual location. I'm on the West Coast of the US... unless we have a Blood Bowl coach in Alaska I don't know about, I'm about as far west as it gets. But I am available most days and almost no nights, so if I get matched against another North American player, it can be pretty inconvenient.

Oh, and also yes, I think all teams with no losses/draws going into the last round should go into a playoff bracket. I'm pretty sure if you get that far and it's going that well, you're up for another game or two in the last week.

(I wouldn't play a Saturday-Sunday tournament because I'm not usually free Saturdays. If I was, I might.)

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Axtklinge

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day over a weekend)?
Both sounds interesting. However I can predict it might be a bit more difficult to manage an entire weekend free/available to play.

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?
Well, as far as I'm concerned, and since it was something it interested me, I took a note about the event when I first saw it (and even advertise it on the MMN blog - http://bloodbowlmayhem.blogspot.pt/2014/10/road-to-nafc-2015.html ), so answering to the question, yes as far as I'm concerned it was advertised enough (aka "in the usual forums").

Mostly yes.
Love the game, so spending a few hours playing it is (almost) always a blast (sometimes the opponent ain't that polite/friendly, and it may turn the game into a "less enjoyable" experience, but that's life, I guess).
Besides I even got my GF to participate in the tournament, and that was quite a feat by itself.
LOL
Axtklinge

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

And just one other thing I've posted on the other official thread, and have been poked to drop it here too:

Just an idea...
Since this was the very first FUMMBL tournament with official NAF ranking (and correct me if I'm wrong, but that can potentially mean a lot, for both organisms and specially for the game), wouldn't it be cool if all the players who participated (or played all 6 games, you name it), got/won a little icon/shield on their home page, stating that participation?
(Could either be next or under the "FUMMBL supporter" or next to the "potion/sponge/Snot" icons).

Anyone else thinks that would be cool?
Or would that be too troublesome for everyone in charge?
sonrises

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

1. One week is good for me. I am used to it as it is standard FUMBBL deadline. Weekend 6 rounds tournament is not for me.

2. Excellent...if you had no budget for advertising. What the hell you did with the 10 million pounds/Dollars/Euros you had for advertising? i expected a Superbowl half time add featuring Beyonce and Shakira having and orgy with 3 dwarves, a skeleton, a dark elf and a rotter!! you pocket all this money and gave none to me? Unacceptable!!

3. Yes. However, 6 weeks tournament was a bit too long with no clear goals. It has been suggested rankings, tours and swiss with golf-cut thing...worth to consider imo.
I will join other NAF tournaments as i like to test different Blood Bowl variants. I would prefer shorter events if i am not competing for the big prize. 6 weeks fighting for a spot in the top 100 is nice but not that exciting.

Well done and keep it up.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 20:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal?

Yes. Scheduling was hard enough from my timezone, though I did get all 6 games in. Shortening the window would make it too hard.

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about right?

254 sign-ups, I think you did extremely well

Yes. Primarily the opportunity to play coaches from around the world. Being NAF ranked meant you could look them up and see how scarily good they are.
Going into the final round with goblins at 0-0-5 against Dwarves, and escaping the dreaded spoon was something I'll treasure for a while.

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO

Possibly. I don't think I'll enter the next one. If there's one in the Aus/NZ timezone I'll certainly be in.
For me the TT social experience is on a completely different level. One way to get more buy in would be to run a team event (e.g. World Cup!!). There were 3 of us from Wellington in this event and having people you know to follow their fortunes/misfortunes, spectate their games... adds to it all.
Here's the Wellington perspective on the event:
http://nzbbn.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=798

I can see events like this bringing TT NAFsters to FUMBBL. I can't see how the reverse will happen, hopefully it will.

And my only grumbles are that my only win was against a non-NAF member so won't count towards my online NAF rank.
I also think placing the forfeiters down with the strugglers was unfair to those down the bottom. No -ve points next time please.
phil78

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Length of rounds. Is a week optimal? Would you play
a ‘traditional’ NAF weekend tournament (3 games per day
over a weekend)?

Seemed perfect to me, any less and it can be incredibly difficult to schedule a game , any more and too much momentum is lost.
No chance I could commit to 3 games in a day at the weekend.

2. Communication. Was the level of advertising about
right? Is there anything we have missed with regards to
letting you know the event is starting / how it’s going?

Really liked the communication, 1 pm at the start of the round was enough to know what was happenning and there wasn't a huge amount of spam with people replying.
Similar the advertising beforehand seemed very effective.

Loved it, and that's been at a time I've barely been playing on fumbbl. Well motivated for the real thing now.

4. Are you / do you know a NAF TO who is interested in
partnering with us in the future to run a sister online
event (with or without physical prizes)? As we look to
fill our tournament pipeline, we’d like to partner with
events from across the NAF world.

Nope Sad
 Jump to: