34 coaches online • Server time: 02:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kam

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2015 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

So... After a few *cough* hundreds games with regular stunties in Ranked, I believe it's time for me to join the Leeg's madness. However, I'm kinda confused with the rosters available.

I'm gonna talk a bit of my experience with regular Stunties so you can understand what I'm looking for.

Flings:

It's no secret, it's my favourite roster. For the fluff, but also because I find them much more reliable than the other teams. They have the strongest non-SW players in game, probably the sturdiest as well, and they're even not loners. Treemen are the backbone of my Fling teams.

I'm very conservative when I pick skills for my flings: every normal roller is fired (baring sometimes a couple of SS/DT), and their first skill is invariably Block, for reliability again (or DP, sometimes).

Flings are also slow (but they can be TTMed to be repositioned), they have a crappy armor (but honnestly, gobos ain't that much better and I hardly see the difference), but the biggest drawback for me is the lack of G access. Just like any other regular Stunty team you may say, but Gobos and Ogres have something else to compensate (massive strength or secret weapons).

Gobos:

Mayhem and destruction... I love them. The SW really add to the game, but they're also unreliable. That wouldn't be too bad if the trolls weren't plain stupid as well (and always hungry). They're not good at TTMing (2 neg traits vs 0 for treemen when throwing a fling, and they don't come with Strong Arm out of the box). And above all, gobos are too expensive. 40k is too much - they should cost 35. That hight price, comparatively, means you can't simply fire any normal roller on the spot and replace him like flings, and you quickly end up with a bloated team.

Ogres and UW:

I'm not as experienced with those two, so I'm gonna make it short. Ogres are incredibly expensive, and so unreliable that you end up not blocking or doing anything with half of them sometimes, when they're in a strategic place. Fun, but frustrating.

I like UW as well, G access + mutations are a game changer, but they're too fragile for their price (or cost too much for their life expectancy). It's hard to manage the treasury, especially in the early days.

------------------------------

I've tried only 2 teams in the Leeg so far: Cheaters and Pro Flings. Not much to say about the cheaters. They're fun to play, but it feels like playing a regular gobo team. I'm expecting something more.

Pro Flings would be the perfect team for me if they had 2 trees and only one of each positional. They're a bit confusing with all the positionals when you first play them, but you get used to it. But they also cost too much, and I have the feeling replacing the retirees would be a pita.

So... Do you see any other team that could suit me? Or should I stick to Pro Flings (and in that case, are all the positionals worth their TV)?

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2015 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you sound like the action you like best is reliable TTM'ing with a bit of madness for flavor. To me, that sounds a lot like Horrors. Not only can all of the Lesser Horrors throw and be thrown, the Greater Horrors are more reliable at it (AG3 and not Stunty).

Added to that you get across the board regeneration and mutation access as well as 4 non-SW bombers. Give them a shot, they are huge fun.

As for PFlings, play them too (seriously, I have...14 Stunty teams)! The Catchers and Mootguard are gold, Borrowers are good but have wasted skills (NOS and Dump Off are wasted on them), and you never need more than one Kicker IMO.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

You could have a go with Albion Fae, the big guys there are pretty decent (bone-head but no loner) and you get three of them. S1 all round is tough but you must be used to playing with a lower strength team. AV7, hypnogaze, some speed and stripball make the roster quite interesting and playing up in TV is fun with Will O'Wisp and Shadow.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to say pygmies. (Of course I'm going to say pygmies.) You get your two big men, your very halfling-y linemen, some speed, guys with G access and guys with S access... they're like less gimmicky pro flings. Replacing the jaguars and the crocodiles is a real pain, because they both start from zero, but they're both way better than the majority of stunty players once you get 2-3 skills in. (Replacing the kroxes is also annoying, but extremely rare.)

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also say Pygmy too, a really fun team once you get a couple of skills, but at the moment there is an annoying ss+shadow bug in the client that is completely game breaking.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Sigmar: nope, I'm no TTM addict: to me it's a last resort move (well at least it was before my flings got a new AG5 Very Happy). I was just highlighting one of the strength of regular flings compared to gobos for instance.

I'll check the rest tomorrow, I'm falling asleep.

Cheers.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Fae are basically the halflings of stunty. It was a better analogy when they had 3 trees, as now Fenbeasts don't have TTM which really hurts the team in some ways - though they got better in others. Fae are much faster and have some nice tricks, but it *feels* like playing flings (IMO) against these other races. You are usually outgunned with slow ma 2 towers lumbering around.

If you want to "feel" like you're playing flings or gobbos or something you should really play one of the st 1 teams. But that said, try them all! It's a wild and crazy time.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 07:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooh what a difficult question! Considering you actually LIKE regular flings for the reasons you stated and my meager Stunty experience I'd say you might try Pygmy. If you're able to play as you do with regular flings you might be the type of coach that can rock with Pygmy. If that's possible at all...

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2015 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Aiight, thanks, I'm definitely gonna try Pigmy and Faes and see how it feels. Pigmys look really interesting. I'm not a big fan of loner big guys, but meh... you can't have everything. Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

First game with Pygmies and... so far so good. The shadowing spam is really interesting and has a lot of potential with DT.

I've also skilled a Krox and he rolled... 11. No comment.

Now I gotta do something I never do on purpose... skill as many players as possible. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam, great to see you in Stunty.

One HUGE warning if you are playing Pygmies. There is a nasty bug with Shadow & Side Step. If you Side Step, the Shadow into where the blocker was, the client will lock up and it is unrecoverable. Just don't do it.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:27
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

This nearly happened in my EC match last night. I had Shadow (the star player) who was hit and was about to click yes when I sort of remembered something like that being mentioned before. Decided it was best not to risk it. Turns out that was a good idea, as this was exactly the situation Very Happy

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Kam

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Err I don't get it... You choose to SS before the blocker decides if he wants to follow you or not, so how could you take his place? I think I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:39
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Player A hits player B. Player B has sidestep and shadowing. A pushes B. B sidesteps horizontally or forwards. A follows up to B's original square. B is given the option to Shadow into A's original square (so they've effectively swapped around). This causes an invalid state I believe.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2015 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I started asking about this on IRC the other day - I really really want an MA9 SS Shadowing player so I can do stuff like that. Totally crestfallen that it borks the game.
 Jump to: