33 coaches online • Server time: 00:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello friends! I was wondering if anyone uses "Trash Talking" as a tactic? I use "Shame" as a tactic sometimes, but it could be construed as Trash Talking. Like when a Guy stalls on me, I comically call him a sissy to score. Or when Im facing a Claw-Pomber, I tell them "You couldn't beat me with any other race" etc. It doesn't always work, but has at key moments for me. Provoking irritation in another coach can help them make mistakes. I know its kind of an underhanded low blow, and I don't use it a lot, but I do this from time to time. I won't show direct examples, but if anyone has specced my games, they can probably understand it. This is also a serious question to everyone.

I don't know if this is much of a problem as other game related advantage builds. Trash talking is common in Poker. Trash talking is a part of sport and games. I did it regularly in Rugby. Frankly I did it often in most of my sports. It never went over badly as I always said it in a joking manner. I don't feel its a bad thing as long as I don't insult someone personal life. I honestly don't use it much, as I try to joke around with my opponents more than not. I must admit its an effective tactic. Ive noticed other coaches doing this. Its sometimes mistaken as whining, but I think its quite deliberate. To try and throw one of their game. Im okay with this. I most commonly see this in League play rather than in other divisions. That is more friendly banter in my opinion.

Let me know if its foolish for me to do this and perhaps Ill stop. I can't guarantee this, but ill take it into consideration.

Keggie.

P.S.
I do this in Table Top as well by the way. I don't hide behind computer screens insulting the masses and then never show my face in public. Im accessible through twitter, the NAF, and at local Tourneys. I always try to make both sides of the field have fun, and enjoy the game. On here it sometimes can be construed as "A-Holeyness, but that is because you can't see the expression on my face. Rest assured, Ive m,et several Fummbl coaches in RL and only Jeffro has something bad to say about me. That is because I smoked all his herb and drank all his booze without paying for it. Win= Keggie Smile

Jeffro
forsev

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait till you get a perfect Blitz! Kick off event when you setup for a short kick while being behind 2-1 on turn 14 vs Dark Elves. That long rant was funny and made the tying touchdown even more sweeter.
coombz

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

i try to be nice in BB games, because it's a 1 on 1 interaction with another person and i generally try to be a good human being in those situation

when i play hockey in real life, if someone has p***ed me off i try to let them know by smashing them into the boards, rather than trash talking them

That's Trailer Park Life.
Karnov

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 06:03 Reply with quote Back to top

If what you're saying is light hearted ribbing/banter that comes across as such, then it's all in good fun.

If you're sledging and trying to "provoke irritation" to put your opponent of their game, then not so much fun.

I'm of the opinion that trash talking is only borderline acceptable in contact sports/games where there is a real chance of physical retribution for what you say to someone else.

In any other arena it's just a weak (but sometimes effective) ploy to put your opponent off their game.
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Potential there to alienate a lot of folks due to them considering you the 'whining git' you suggest.

Challenge with online is that Body Language is missing and Tone is easy to misread. So you only have the Words, which are very easy to misconstrue. Add in that English is not necessarily everyone's first language on here and you have a situation that is similar to Road Rage where you cannot clearly read the other motorist's intentions. The opponent, lacking additional information, just assumes you are just a poor loser/ jerk and decides not to play you again.

I had a game the other day against a 4k+ games played coach which seemed quite cordial until the end where he cried like a little baby, called me names and left. Needless to say, I wont bother playing such a weenie again any time soon.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 06:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The only time I tend to trash talk is if I kill a player. "And STAY DOWN, you (something something something you suck because you are not me)" -- in Cyanide I actually had a guy in a league quit over it (solo fouled a mummy to death and he was -pissed- enough to do a 5 minute rant in spanish. I haven't seen him since).

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope Im not misunderstood here, I rarely do this. In Tourney games though, winning is everything, so I may do it more often there. I don't think I am whiney, but I can see how in game banter game be construed as that way. The game is for fun. I was just curious how many people intentionally do it. In retrospect I doubt people will admit to it, but Im pretty sure people do this. If I were to name and shame some people you would go, ahh I see your point, maybe they are up to something.

Jeffro
Malmir

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 07:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I have seen Dhaktokh use trash talk very well in majors and been on the receiving end when we played a final. I knew what he was doing and why but it still tilted my focus slightly at first (until I realised that and stopped reading it). Had it been a normal ranked game he would have come across as a douche (which he isn't and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do it anyway then) but in a tournament (especially a final) was an effective tactic and just added to the challenge.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Trash talk and really any kind of talk is integral part of my strategy. At times it gets in the way of just wanting to have a good conversation tho.
I don't consider it a particularly strong strong strategical asset, the benefits are marginal at best, maybe even irrelevant. But even small benefits are worth to persue.

A game like BB wouldn't really be as enjoyable if you don't play it to its fullest. Talk-rules are even integrated into the game like for instance the rule that entitles you to do a victory chant when you score a TD. If for no other reason, then this is worthwhile thinking about to protect yourself from it. Proactively I can be also swayed by other peoples comments. It's not uncommon for me to try to draw out informations of my opponent.

I remember one particularly cunning guy going around declaring he was about to conceed and gave the opportunity to score. In one game I did that also because I didn't fear I'd lose and he continued to play. It's a tactic I wouldn't use myself because my understanding is that I am not allowed to commit myself to a strategy and even by just creating the illusion of doing so I'm on the outer lines of straight out breaking site rules. On the other hand, the guy who scores in a situation like that cannot really expect the administration to back him up either. What is he gonna say? "That guy promised to conceed and he didn't!" ?
I don't think thats a plausible cause for admins to get active, lol.
Either way, I think this is despicable. I brought this up in another thread when a guy mentioned he expected his opponent to declare that he is about to conceed, but nobody seemed to have a problem with it.

As mentioned, I think trash talk in general is fine, it loosens the atmosphere and when it has an effect, all the better.
I think its rather hard to do because the capitalist environment trains people to be resilient towards manipulation.
I sometimes tell people that I'm a dangerous opponent to intimidate them, but what it mostly does is more attaintive. When I play a newer coach I could give poor advice in game but ultimatively take more pride in my bb theory reputation (for better or worse) than to jeopardize it by trying to gain practical advantages.

In the end, whenever you say something it may sway your opponent in the way you want or just as easily in another way. So giving him sound advice may make him do the opposite, teach him something afterwards and I win the game. Everybody wins.

Guilt talking somebody into scoring early is one of the things that seem to work particularly well tho. I have done it a couple of times. It gives me a very hypocritical feeling since I genuinely enjoying stalling but there you go. It seems to matter to others.

The biggest issue when you talk is always that you might make your opponent aware of an opportunity he would maybe miss on his own.

Another thing that isn't a waste of breath is making your opponent aware that one of his stars is particularly unprotected to make him overcommit.

Or you could express fear to make him aware about a foul to be done, when it really doesn't matter but might get his fouler ejected.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

PFFT lammer tactics!!!

I KEEL YOO!

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 07:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Not all coaches are english native speakers, and it may lead to misunderstandings not being able to see your face to judge wether you are serious or not.

Besides, I am here to have fun. This strategy you mention relies on altering other coach's emotions... If it works, he will hardly be aware of your joking tone. He will more probably be angry because you are questioning his mental aptitude to win fairly. Or just clasify it as whinning. Which may be.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 07:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I find that the Windows Task Manager [Ctl + Alt + Del] fits nicely over the /chat box of the client.

'nuff said. Wink

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Myself who played lots of games at high level does not have any benefit. It is hard for you to go under my skin (I have seen a lot, even dealt with blatant cheats at very high level of competition), but even if you manage it, then I will just stop paying attention to you, and play in silent mode afterwards. The only real effect you may achieve is that I wont accept your ranked games no matter the matchup.

The only purpose of me trash talking is to have fun. I figured that most opponents who are subject to this tactic are inferior anyway, and there is no tactical need anyway. (This is the practical aspect.)

On the other hand, as a moral aspect, I believe the aspect of bushido, which relates to gaming. I believe that a conflict or game should be resolved in a way, that all participants are in their prime, and are fully aware of their moves. So a game is good game as long as all participants put up their best fight.
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Trash talking can be lots of fun, or totally a douche move depending on if you can pull it off in a funny way. Dhaktokh is really a master of the former, especially in major games it adds another layer of enjoyment. The other kind of coaches shall not be named per site rules, but generally they are the ones who gloat when winning and cry like babies when losing Wink
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the shaming well enough sometimes. "stalling vs flings? Really? LOL"
Or, when you made 1-0 first half, and know you've failed to stop their score: "I guess it's now in your hands whether we tie, or one of us wins."
While these carry ulterior motives, I don't consider them particularly unfriendly, and I refrain from coming across as such. The only times I actually 'trash-talk' is when it's more role-playing from the perspective of the player or the coach; for instance in response to a foul "oi, ref! He's cheating!" or to a cas on a J-man "oh no, not Robert. You MURDERER!"

In the end; yes, I guess trash-talking to irritate the opponent could be effective and competitive. So is making TV1000 zons with 11 blodge, or clawpomb ST3 pact. Competitive, but not my idea of a fun game.

Jump to: