41 coaches online • Server time: 13:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kam

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yeah, you're right, I'm a noob with rats/elves. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Well it's not so much about right, I think your point is a very good one, but it requires a bit more context. There's no reason not to 'balance', but some teams should focus more on building their strength than trying to cover their weaknesses.

For some teams their strength is that they can balance cheaply (if not easily). For others their strength is just making whatever skill stack(s) and telling their opponents 'try to stop me'.
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Three position control players to stop unnatural OT-scores.

That is not going to work my friend.

A well built High TV team will most likely have one player with Grab, one player with Jugger and most likely Juggerfrenzy which blows away StandFirm and SideStep and Fend.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Furthermore

If you are building a high TV team and do not take one Grab and one Jugger and one frenzy guy, well, IMO you are not building a effective High TV team.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Milfords proven guide to winning a major.

#1: you must first enter a team, any team but a team. IF you fail to perform this first step you WILL NOT WIN A MAJOR/MINOR/or SMACK/BRAWL.

#2: You must have a good "draw" in the tournament. The bracket your team is in in qualifier is HUGE.

#3: You must get lucky. Not just your rolls, your foes rolls and sometimes even more important how lucky or unlucky did your next foe get in his match, does he come in with a lot of MNG and so forth, did the overwhelming favorite you should of had to face get "diced" hard and is out of the tournament.

SO as you can see there is a huge level of luck going. It has nothing to do with team build or coach skill.

#4: During your tournament match when you get "lucky" you cannot blow it. You might only have one shot to "turn the match" on a lucky break. That is where coach skill comes into play. IME the good coaches rarely blow that lucky break and exploit it. Thus the majority of us mere mortals blow our one or two lucky breaks and do not exploit it and lose.

and finally #5: There will be a game were no matter what you do NUFFLE has frowned on your fortunes. It happens and you just move on and kick the dirt.

The only advantage team building gives you is that when that lucky break does happen you have players with the necessary skill set or +Stats to fully exploit it.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Wreckage wrote:
Three position control players to stop unnatural OT-scores.

A well built High TV team will most likely have one player with Grab, one player with Jugger and most likely Juggerfrenzy which blows away StandFirm and SideStep and Fend.

Damn I wrote a lengthy response to this but the connection died and it was lost Sad.
Anyways, you're the third person who tells me this, don't worry I was paying attention the first time. Smile

On another matter I want to remind you guys that what interests me is team building in general. Not just in regard to ranked majors.
Why I find this discussion to be so helpful is because it helps to give a more generalized outlook on whereever the hell you want to go with a team in the first place.

Once i have established what a more or less perfect team looks like it's easier for me to address deviating goals in team building like: Getting through a single season and only taking the minimum skills.

Is it ever meaningful to have a more bloated team than in a ranked major? I think probably not...

Or, also very interesting: What default skills are you aiming for in life tournaments? Is it just going to be a lot of block or will there be a tackle or two in the mix or just 5 completely different skills?
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Or, also very interesting: What default skills are you aiming for in life tournaments? Is it just going to be a lot of block or will there be a tackle or two in the mix or just 5 completely different skills?

Block and dodge. Spice up with Guard. Maybe one Frenzy and or Mighty blow. Sometimes a leader when the build screams for it. Usually no tackle. Soft killer (Mb) is very good, but block and dodge and guard wins usually.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2015 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I forgot one crucial ingredient.

A team going for a Major must know when to STOP getting ready.

The number of times I have had a team in great shape and thought, "Oh, one more game to skill that 28 SPP player" or such and seen Nuffle destroy my team Sad
 Jump to: