44 coaches online • Server time: 18:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 04:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, he talked about Dota 2, not DotA, anyway, comparing an online game/mod, which can be frequently patched, to a boardgame not meant to be competitive is lame.
An RTS computer game will ever have a greater userbase than a niche turn-based tabletop game for miniatures geeks, and the fact the game is online makes collecting data and feedback about it easier.
Dota 2 is not perfectly balanced either, but the huge difference is that its players can live with temporary unbalances because they know they will be fixed, unlike Blood Bowl.
I'd like to have an online Blood Bowl with regular patches and an evolving metagame, but the community is hostile to changes, and GW, who has the authority to change it, doesn't give a damn about it.

Balle2000

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
I'd like to have an online Blood Bowl with regular patches and an evolving metagame, but the community is hostile to changes.

This is not necessarily true. Christer seems to want to stick with standard CRP in Ranked and Box, but he might be open to change if there was proper work and play testing done on a new rule set. If there is any hostility it usually comes from a select few. You shouldn't generalize on the back of that. I think the majority of Fumbbl coaches would welcome change if it was done properly and improved the game. I.e. a collective effort by a commission -- not one guy in his basement.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
koadah

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
I'd like to have an online Blood Bowl with regular patches and an evolving metagame, but the community is hostile to changes.

This is not necessarily true. Christer seems to want to stick with standard CRP in Ranked and Box, but he might be open to change if there was proper work and play testing done on a new rule set. If there is any hostility it usually comes from a select few. You shouldn't generalize on the back of that. I think the majority of Fumbbl coaches would welcome change if it was done properly and improved the game. I.e. a collective effort by a commission -- not one guy in his basement.

Changes have been done and Christer has considered them.

The only person who can enable proper testing is Christer.

As we have already seen, testing things in table top leagues doesn't really help Ranked & Box very much.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Now you are thinking too narrowly.

I mean an independent initiative play testing that could also be outside of Fumbbl.

If someone did a proper effort (not hobby based) on a new rule set. Of course he'd consider.

koadah

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
koadah wrote:

Now you are thinking too narrowly.

I mean an independent initiative play testing that could also be outside of Fumbbl.

If someone did a proper effort (not hobby based) on a new rule set. Of course he'd consider.

I didn't say that he wouldn't.

If you don't test it in the Box it probably won't suit the Box. That's how we got where we are today.

If we won't even test two fairly minor mods I don't think we have much chance of testing/changing anything else.

So are we going to be stuck with this ruleset until Fumbbl shuts down it's servers?

Who else is going to do it? Cyanide?

Just give us one draw in four. Even a Fumbbl Vault division is not a 'proper' test of how people will cherrypick/min max a system.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

You can probably answer all of these questions yourself. Why so negative? Do you have an alternative?

C3I2

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes
koadah

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
You can probably answer all of these questions yourself. Why so negative? Do you have an alternative?

Negative?

Hey, don't mind me. I'm just fed up with it.

Hopefully the new [L]eague changes will pull more people into [L]eague.

Maybe I'll give the new Cyanide client a try after all. A change is as good a rest they say. Taking a rest from the 'competitive divisions hasn't really worked.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Fair enough. I'll try to read your post differently then.

Really looking forward to the League buffs. Looking very promising! After all, you only need a couple of dozen coaches to make a great weekly league.

But I heard that if you value your sanity, you stay away from Cyanide Smile
Leilond

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

If (and only if) we think that [B] division has a problem, the only way to fix it is "change the rules IN THE DIVISION"

I THINK that there is no chance to make the division better (if and only if we think it needs it) with a "general rule change", because the way [B] works it's completely different from the way [R] works and the way [L] works (the only division that use the rules as they're intended to work)

Same reasoning works for [R].

Any testing or rule change that will be made OUT OF FUMBBL, will be made thinking about the game as it's intended to be played, that measn perpetual scheduled leagues, and thus any change it's not probably going to fix any [B] or [R] problem (if these division have problems).

If we think these division have problems, we need to test the necessary changes, applying them to the REAL division (and not a small testing division, because it WON'T work as the big division work) and see the result after some months. And the necessary changes, are surely not the same in [R] and [B], because they work completely different from eachother.

If (and only if) CPOMB is a problem, it is surely a smaller problem in [L] than in [B].
If (and only if) the minmaxing (example: firing skilled positional to reroll them) is a problem in [B] I'm pretty sure it isn't a problem in [L], because it's not a flaw in the bb rules, but a flaw in how the [B] teams exploit the bb rules.

P.S.
I repeated, pheraps a bit to much, "if and only if"
I wanted to be sure that people understand I can live with the rules as they are and that my concearn was to make clear that I think that any rule change is needed in FUMBBL R/B divisions more than in BB itself, because "fumbbl R/B division blood bowl" it's very different from "blood bowl as it was intended"
Tantibus

Post   Posted: May 25, 2015 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Only uses Teams with Claw MB access - check

Moans about Claw MB - check.
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I know it is not totally (at all) related but Smallman just retired a Legend Dark Elf from his Chaos Pact because he received a MNG in a match v BillBrasky. Strange indeed. Can't be going in to the high TV band I guess..

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Queen of min/max? No!!!!

Strange those apoths just sit around sometimes..
 Jump to: