24 coaches online • Server time: 01:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2015 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Bump!

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2015 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Wondering if anyone has any more suggestions of things to add to this?

mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2015 - 19:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I've been sending it to people with good responses Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2015 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I've been sending it to people with good responses Smile

Good to hear Very Happy

I've sent a half dozen or so of them out to, but haven't played as much recently as normal. Going to try rectify this, and may play a bit more of my lower TV sides so I'm more likely to encounter some of the newer coaches. Before anyone says picker, my lower TV sides are usually really dumb rosters Very Happy

JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Very late to the game on this thread, but as a very new player (since April) and under 30 games under my belt, I very much like the idea of PMing experienced coaches with interface questions and rule explanations, etc, but I wouldn't have minded getting a bit of a bio on those coaches. All BB related, of course, this isn't eHarmony. I've tried getting about two dozen people interested in BB but all of them have the same complaint, "it's too hard, I lost my first five matches and gave up." I think if newbies realized from the get go that most "legendary" coaches start by losing their first dozen or so matches, it would give them an idea that this game isn't Monopoly and requires some dedication to be good. The bios could have some success stories like (I'm not friendly enough with any of the bigwig coaches to name one here) "my first 30 matches were a nightmare. I retired twenty teams before I won my first match. But I learned from each loss, yada yada yada, now I've won my league and women want me and men want to be me."
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 03:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Losing their first dozen?

I went 13/15/72!! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 05:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, DrPoods, not everyone can be as successful as you.
bigbullies

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh poods i feel better now Smile
I went 8/5/12 for the first 25
I went 26/13/61 for first 100
And i know im improving cause im now at 125 with the last 25 going 6/7/12 Wink Very Happy
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

JohnnyFeyev wrote:
Very late to the game on this thread, but as a very new player (since April) and under 30 games under my belt, I very much like the idea of PMing experienced coaches with interface questions and rule explanations, etc, but I wouldn't have minded getting a bit of a bio on those coaches. All BB related, of course, this isn't eHarmony. I've tried getting about two dozen people interested in BB but all of them have the same complaint, "it's too hard, I lost my first five matches and gave up." I think if newbies realized from the get go that most "legendary" coaches start by losing their first dozen or so matches, it would give them an idea that this game isn't Monopoly and requires some dedication to be good. The bios could have some success stories like (I'm not friendly enough with any of the bigwig coaches to name one here) "my first 30 matches were a nightmare. I retired twenty teams before I won my first match. But I learned from each loss, yada yada yada, now I've won my league and women want me and men want to be me."

Good suggestion there, if a few more can put a little abut their opening records (mine was spectacularly awful) I'll add this in.

Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Not exactly what you were looking for and I haven't read anything in this thread so far, but the attention whore in me wanted my to write something down... Apologies. I can barely control here!

It's a draft really:

My first 30 matches here on FUMBBL were great: I played against coaches I knew from RL in a closed league, we were more or less on the same coaching level. However, the league got less active and I needed to get my fix elsewhere. I finally dared to join Ranked, with a dwarf team called 'Agility Monsters' and the idea, to not play the standard dwarf grind (in fact, I didn't even know what that looks like), but elfball - passing, dodging and risky plays. The first ten games were okay, then I started losing to more experienced coaches, losing the advantage of rookie dwarves as my team progressed (and took skills like Pass Block for the fun).
I haven't retired and still enjoy playing them, but the team's record is terrible and doesn't improve. I had a short successful streak with an ordinary dwarf team (even won a small tournament, a Scheduled SMACK), but soon started losing again and got frustrated. I'm sure I learned a lot over the years, but I keep sticking with oddly-themed teams and questionable concepts and ideas. In the end, the team development aspect, seen from a roleplaying perspective, is what I enjoy most and what makes me continuing even if dice and skill let me down. FUMBBL is a great place for that, and I'm sure pretty much everyone who's into Blood Bowl can find his place here. So: Welcome from me! Don't give up before you've found yours. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it Rabe. The roleplaying aspect is what I like about it, and I build teams dumbly because I can't stand everyone being the same on a team (i.e. all dwarves must take gaurd), we're all very special snowflakes and our BB players should reflect that. I also like making questionable concept teams, my favorite one right now is an all-lineman Norse team, however, only having access to G skills may prove problematic in the future, but I'll have one hell of a specials team (everyone MUST take kick! - j/k.)
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

JohnnyFeyev wrote:
I like it Rabe. The roleplaying aspect is what I like about it, and I build teams dumbly because I can't stand everyone being the same on a team (i.e. all dwarves must take gaurd), we're all very special snowflakes and our BB players should reflect that. I also like making questionable concept teams, my favorite one right now is an all-lineman Norse team, however, only having access to G skills may prove problematic in the future, but I'll have one hell of a specials team (everyone MUST take kick! - j/k.)

I love novelty teams too, all zombies is lots of fun Very Happy Seen a few people try an all dump off team, which can be chucklesome too.

JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone ever done an all Snotling team with any success? And by success, I mean not having an empty pitch after two turns?
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Someone won a RRR with an all snot team, and I think Kam ran one for a bit but they're very hard work Very Happy

Kam

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2015 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Lizvis has won an Ogre XFL with a Snot team. I've also managed not to be too ridiculous in a RRR with snots as well, but I didn't win. But expect to lose 99% of your games unless you're REALLY familiar with Stunties.

EDIT - Haha, akaRenton's been quicker. Very Happy

Jump to: