61 coaches online • Server time: 20:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been a Blood Bowl coach, and participant in the Blood Bowl community, for a very long time, but with the fragmentation of participants, confuesd series of new rules sets, the mess that resulted from Galak's intervention (which may have been well-intentioned, but offended whole swathes of veteran coaches), Cyanide's games and everything else I haven't been involved in a very long time.

Now, however, I've decided to lead a project to establish, from a base here on FUMBBL, what we will call "Blood Bowl Sixth Edition" (pretty sure we will get JJ's thumbs-up for that officially in due course).

The core of Sixth Ed will be the third edition rules, but it will also bring in all the best of first (if anyone still has those) and second (Star Players on the roster?), as well as the best of the LRB era (I am a sharp critic of Galak, but he brought through a lot of very valuable additions to the game, especially new skills).

Complainants may say that I (and my usual #loa cronies) have no right to draw up our own rules set like this when they are using the LRB system for their live tournaments, on Cyanide, or whatever. My reply is that I have zero interest in how or where you are playing BB. The purpose of this project is to revitalise FUMBBL.

In fluff terms, the central theme of this new rules-set is that the Warhammer World has gone to war again. Blood Bowl is still happening, but it is much rarer to see things like Troll Slayers and Wardancers on the pitch — they were playing BB to keep in training for war.

Rolling out this new system is going to be a gradual process. It's going to be a long time before we have a single clear pdf to use, and creating/modifying a client that uses it will also be a major project. Many elements will depend on the interest and support of Christer & co. All that being said though, I'm quite sure that we will manage to create the best Blood Bowl rules set yet.

Discussion will go on here, and in #Fumbbl IRC.

Rolled out in the thread so far:

New/revised rosters

Humans
Orcs
Sea Elves
Dwarves

Last edited by pac on Apr 14, 2016 - 19:55; edited 2 times in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck with this. By my reckoning, you'll be at least the 4th person to come up with their own new ruleset, just within the last year or so, and Christer has repeatedly stated his lack of interest in any non-official ruleset. So you're gonna need all the luck you can get.

I'd also recommend changing the name. CRP is almost identical to the LRB6 rules. 7th edition would make more sense (within the fairly nonsensical context of making a ruleset which will never be used).

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

This one certainly started out with a lot more bravado and bigger claims than most though! Wink

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Since everybody loves rosters, let's start with a new Human list. Will it be Hellfish-approved?

Humans

0–20 Linemen 50K 6 3 3 8 G
0–4 Catchers 70K 8 2 3 7 Catch, Dodge GA
0–2 Throwers 70K 6 3 3 8 Sure Hands, Pass GP
0–2 Blitzers 90K 7 3 3 8 Block GS
0–4 Blockers 60K 5 3 2 9 Block GS
0–1 Kickers 60K 6 3 3 8 Kick G
0–2 Halflings 30K 5 2 3 6 Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty A

Re-rolls: 50K

[I'm having trouble creating a proper table for this. The forums don't seem to be accepting any table code I know. Sad]

The idea with this team is that we're going back to the days of second edition, when virtually all teams had Blockers.

Most notable will be the reduction to the number of Blitzers. The other two have signed up for war!

As you can see from the number of Linemen available, I'm moving for a maximum squad size of 20.

Blockers create an interesting problem. They are tough, start with Block and can get Strength skills (Guard, MB, etc), but don't offer the flexibility and ballplay of the slightly cheaper Linemen.

The occasional Moot Halfling now ventures out to join Human teams, as Goblins do with Orcs.

Ogres (and other Big Guys) will be covered separately.

Last edited by pac on Apr 14, 2016 - 19:54; edited 2 times in total
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Good luck with this. By my reckoning, you'll be at least the 4th person to come up with their own new ruleset, just within the last year or so, and Christer has repeatedly stated his lack of interest in any non-official ruleset. So you're gonna need all the luck you can get.

I'd also recommend changing the name. CRP is almost identical to the LRB6 rules. 7th edition would make more sense (within the fairly nonsensical context of making a ruleset which will never be used).

Sixth, seventh — what's in a number?

I am not some noob. I've been playing BB for over 20 years (I have Star Players and the Blood Bowl Companion sitting right next to me) and have one hell of a lot of experience in game design.

IOW, trust me I know what I'm doing. Even if no one ever uses it, this will be a tight and sweet rules set. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
This one certainly started out with a lot more bravado and bigger claims than most though!

No bravado about it. I've been around in BB and life in general. If you don't think anything will come of it, that's fine: just sit back and enjoy the show. =)

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs

0–20 Linemen 50K 5 3 3 9 G
0–2 Catchers 70K 7 3 3 7 Catch, Dodge GA
0–2 Throwers 70K 5 3 3 8 Sure Hands, Pass GP
0–2 Blitzers 90K 6 3 3 9 Block GS
0–4 Blockers 70K 5 3 2 10 Block GS
0–2 Black Orcs 80K 4 4 2 9 GS
0–1 Kickers 60K 6 3 3 8 Kick G
0–2 Goblins 40K 6 2 3 7 Right Stuff, Dodge, Stunty A

Re-rolls: 60K

This is again a blend with the second edition Orc side.

Some orcs (probably ex-cheerleaders!) have remembered how to catch again.

Black Orcs are still around, but not as many as most are needed for the war.

Some regular Orcs have loaded up on some heavy black armour as regular Blockers.

Another roster where there is a real conundrum for the coach as to whether to go for an ST-loaded 11 dominated by Blitzers, Black Orcs and Blockers, or make use of more ball-players.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:53
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know whether anything will come of it or not, it's not for me to say. I hope you have fun with it. My comment was just that you've certainly set yourself big aims. When I produced my own BB rules version I did it because I thought it was fun, and I wanted something I could easily implement on FUMBBL when Custom Rosters are working. I put it in House Rules, fully aware this is all it would ever be.

Yours started with a stated aim of 'revitalizing FUMBBL' and a claim that you were pretty sure you'd get Jervis Johnson's approval, which is reaching a bit but who doesn't like a lofty goal Smile

Also, and I'm sure you probably know this, but a large portion of this community has been playing Blood Bowl for 20 years Very Happy

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
I have zero interest in how or where you are playing BB. The purpose of this project is to revitalise FUMBBL.

Good luck, but with that attitude don't be surprised when many people (even at fumbbl) say the same about your project.

I'm probably going to be one of them frankly. Can't possibly see the point of a 20 player roster when no one bothers to use the 16 we already have (outside of stunties). Can't really see the point of a complete overhaul of everything to make a 20 player roster even meaningful.

But maybe you'll sway me. Still, moving fumbbl completely away from whatever 'core rules' for BB is seems a fools errand based on past discussions on the topic.

Maybe the changes to L will let you run your own league with your rules though. Be fun to see there at least.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
No bravado about it.

..he said with even more bravado.

But, well, well done on all that. I never said, nor implied, that you're a noob. Of course, a lot of us have been playing BB for over 20 years. And we've been around in BB and in life, for whatever value that is supposed to have.

None of that changes the fact that neither FUMBBL, nor the NAF, nor GW, nor Cyanide, is looking for you to produce a new ruleset. And without any backing from any of them, this is purely a vanity project.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Some mopey replies so far. Sad

Think of it as just a fun forum project, if you like. This is not a scheme to create edition wars, we're just bringing back more fun and games and colour to our old friend Blood Bowl. Cool

Back in the day, elves didn't really play much BB. There was an Elf list and a DE list and that was it. Under LRB rules, with universal AG 4 and four different team lists, they could become very dominant (especially when they built up their teams by playing only each other! XD).

Anyway, in 6th ed we're going to have three elf lists. The other two will be Wood and Dark, but the others are new faces in Blood Bowl:

Sea Elves

0–20 Linemen 60K 6 3 4 7 GA
0–1 Kicker 70K 6 3 4 7 Kick GA
0–1 Lion Warrior 100K 8 3 4 7 Catch, Claw GA
0–1 Phoenix Warrior 100K 7 3 4 7 Pass, Catch, Safe Throw GAP
0–1 Dragon Warrior 100K 8 3 4 7 Block GA
0–1 Glade Runner 100K 9 3 4 7 Dodge, Sure Hands GA
0–1 Wardancer 100K 8 3 4 7 Block, Leap GA
0–1 Witch Elf 100K 7 3 4 7 Frenzy, Jump Up GAS
0–1 Warlock 100K 6 2 4 7 Distract, Hypnotic Gaze, Loner, Nerves of Steel A

Re-rolls: 70K

Sea elves themselves are not that good at BB (in stats they are just like (Pro) Elves), and provide the Linemen and Kickers. The rest of the team is kind of a circus. All sorts of weird and wonderful elves often end up in ea elf teams, preferring a life of sailing from game to game to joining the wars.

Lion Warriors have sharpened the claws on those gauntlets of theirs.

Glade Runners (wood elven messengers) have always loved Blood Bowl on grass and now some want to play. They love racing in to snatch up the ball and change the game.

Witch Elves are on different drugs now. They don't start with Dodge at the moment, but do have access to Strength skills on a normal roll. (Never understood why there was a taboo in the third edition era of ever letting elves get normal access to Strength skills.)

Warlocks are a new presence on the BB pitch. Maybe a sign that the great Hubris Rakarth is coming out of retirement?

What is Distract? A general skill similar to the current Disturbing Presence: -1 to any AG rolls (except dodging) by opposing players (unless they have Nerves of Steel) within 2 squares, as long as the player is standing.

Last edited by pac on Apr 14, 2016 - 19:47; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
None of that changes the fact that neither FUMBBL, nor the NAF, nor GW, nor Cyanide, is looking for you to produce a new ruleset. And without any backing from any of them, this is purely a vanity project.

I am not interested in the opinions of any of those organisations. None of them own Blood Bowl.

"Vanity project"? Why are you insulting me?

Don't start flaming here, dude. If you don't like this thread, stop posting in it.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
My comment was just that you've certainly set yourself big aims.

Not really. Blood Bowl is not a complicated game. We're just going to post cool stuff here, make a nice rules set, and maybe someone will use it.

Chill out. There are no earthquakes going on. Contribute or don't contribute. All is well. Cool

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
I'm probably going to be one of them frankly. Can't possibly see the point of a 20 player roster when no one bothers to use the 16 we already have (outside of stunties). Can't really see the point of a complete overhaul of everything to make a 20 player roster even meaningful.

Well, that's where my plans for the handicap system come in.

Instead of comparing Team Ratings that represent the entire squad's arsenal, they will just count the teams first XI (the 11 most expensive and experienced players, plus re-rolls, etc).

This means that having a big bench will not hurt a team in handicap terms.

A big bench will be (as it was in second edition) about the freedom to have lots of different tools in the coach's box. Not just replacements for injuries and sendings-off.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2016 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been playing since 96 but I did take a long break. Been back on the scene on here losing at lot more than winning but that's fine while I catch up with new teams, rules etc. I have mainly used bashing team and one thing that gets me is badly hurt, seriously injured and death all get 2 exp. One idea I had was that a kill went to 3 exp instead of 2. Kills can be like 1 or less a game so potentially more rare than a TD. Therefore if a TD is 3 exp then I think a kill should be 3 exp as well.
 Jump to: